6 hours ago, Jakeyb77 said:

Yep I'm sure I'll regret selling my ME75B. Actually I sold it to a former owner. 

I had an early 75 (A?) that drove a monstrous pair of Infinity RS4.5s. All, day, every day, never broke a sweat. Ugly little amp but boy did it have some muscle!

M

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, unclemack said:

I had an early 75 (A?) that drove a monstrous pair of Infinity RS4.5s. All, day, every day, never broke a sweat. Ugly little amp but boy did it have some muscle!

M

Yep I hear that. No remote, no gadgets just on and off and a great amp all around. 

11 hours ago, Beacon said:

Is there a parallel universe out there? The ME 25 and 850 combination not sweet???? You've got to be kidding me.

I visited Lenny Wallace when he had his first shop in Burns Bay Road, Lane Cove, around December 1990. I saw an ME preamp connected to an ME 850 which in turn was connected to some Duntech Black Knights. Not sure what CD player was used but it was probably something pretty special too. As a Stevie Ray Vaughan fan I tentatively asked the sales guy if he could play for me "Couldn't Stand The Weather" which was and remains my all time favourite album. The volume was cranked and a small crowd gathered. At the conclusion of a slow blues called "Tin Pan Alley" I distinctly remember myself and all those present collectively issuing the word "sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!"

So, please, let this be the end to this silliness....

I have further proof proof if required....

Ok listening to the 850 in a setting which is not your own leaves to many variables. Speakers you are not accustomed to, room acoustics, source.

I have had the ME850 in my setup which I am familiar with and I don't see how any one would say that is a "sweet" sounding amplifier.

It is a very balanced across the whole frequency range with a tight deep bass and also excellent detail retrieval. The overall tone would be as close to neutral as you could get maybe even on the cold side. No way is it sweet.

As Zaph mentioned maybe others idea of sweet is different to mine but sweet to me, is the sound of well implement TDA1541 based DAC or Cd player. Or an old Mark Levinson or Classe amplifier.

• Like 1

It was a joke, Joyce!!!!!!!

The whole HiFi thing is subjective. That's the point I'm endeavouring to make.  What's sweet to me is obviously something different to others. It's just my opinion. I don't feel that I need to justify it and I certainly try not to take any of this too seriously.

Zaph summed it up pretty well a few posts ago and I'm leaving it at that......

Unless of course anyone would like to hear another ME anecdote from the golden days of HiFi!!!!

Edited by Beacon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the enormous generosity of @JohnL I got to spend some time with an ME 550 mkII an upgraded ME-24 and an ME-850.

Well, to my cloth ears I could hear some minor improvement with the ME-24 and ME-550 mk II but when I put on the ME-850, the difference was very clear, better image more depth, and just effortless power, quite impressive.  I think I may have to save some bickies. 

I also had the chance to have a listen to the Gieseler pre (not the new pre/dac) and first impressions were very good. Although not a huge difference but on the day I thought it edged out the ME but will need to listen more. 

Thanks to all who have chipped in on this thread, great advice.

• Like 1