Power amp choice: Emotiva XPA 200 or 2x Vincent SP 996

We would need some info before anyone could really make recommendations.

What is the rest of your system?........current amp?

Why do you want to change it and what type of sonic improvement are you looking for?

Types of music you listen to and preferred volume levels?

If I was forced to choose............. based solely on specs...........I would be looking at the Emotiva.

At the end of the day though.........IMHO.....YOU really need to HEAR them BOTH before making a decision.

Hopefully some other SNA members experienced with the amps in question can help you further.

Edited by JohnL

Between the above two options I would choose the Vincents - more authority and bass extension compared to the Emotiva. It would be a fairer fight if compared to the newer Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 however, and in that fight I would probably err on the side of the XPA-2.

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

I actually think the Emotiva might just edge it out but they might just be similar.

The Emotiva has a little more power especially into 4 Ohms. Also has XLR connectors.

The Vincent can be stood upright like a mini tower. Pretty cool.

Max power consumption 180W x2 vs 450W.

Weight 5.2KGs x2 vs 14KGs

Warranty on Emotiva use to be 5 Years and transferable. Not sure what they are now in Australia or what the Vincent has.

You could ring around to any stores that may sell both and ask them. The Lifestyle store seems to sell both. LINK

I tried to find a pic of the insides.

Vincent

Vincent_SP-996+IN.jpg

510ef2a4b9ef7_279810b.jpg

Emotiva

emotiva_xpa200_2_channel_power_amplifier

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnL said:

What is the rest of your system?........current amp?

Why do you want to change it and what type of sonic improvement are you looking for?

Types of music you listen to and preferred volume levels?

Don't have a power amp, currently using active speakers, with a Vincent SA31 pre, I like to listen at above moderate levels around 90dB when I can, I have some old Aaron 3 way speakers I want to dust off.

Thanks all for the info, I will be able to audition the Emotiva but the SP996's have to be ordered,(which won't happen for an audition) any other info appreciated

• Like 1

I had an Xpa2 some years ago and thought it was pretty good until I compared it to an Me 550 mk2 and later on two channels of a Primare A30.5. In both cases the Enotiva sounded thin and with no authority.  My experience with Emotiva is that there's better to be had elsewhere.

Guest dr_carl

I ha an xpa-200 gen1 and loved it for a couple of years. I put it up against an ME75B and kept it. I only moved on after I heard my Redgum which is just awesomely beautiful & powerful with a bit tube processing in the chain. you can find my reviews of my previous gear here on SNA. I was lucky as picked up my Redgum 2nd hand for $1600 from an SNA member when it retails for $4k, and Redgum repaired it to factory condition for free!

You should try both of them in your room with your gear and fave music. Then pick the one you like. After that its the voices in your head wondering if it gets better than this....it does.

BTW if you an Emotiva you can resell it quickly from my experience - sold mine in 4 hours.

Edited by dr_carl