Hackshaw Ridge

Saw it tonight , as expected fairly violent but perhaps not more than Saving Private Ryan. 

I struggled with the lead kept thinking spiderman , but he did a good job overall. 

Good performances by Hugo Weaving and Rachel Griffiths and i thought Vince Vaughan in. Serious role. Also credit to sam worthington and another aussie actor luke bracey . Actually checking theres heaps of aussies actors in the movie, they did well with the accents 

Does seem to vear into hollywood b/s now and then, but its mostly kept in check as is the religous propaganda. 

Combat scenes are again fairly brutal as there is alot of close combat. 

Edited by cafe67

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Usual overrated Yank propaganda. I thought I was watching Hot Shots 3 for a while and I wish I had been.

Oh well, at least we got some dollars out of it with the production happening here.

Avoid at all costs.

• Like 1

hmm I watched on blu-ray.... and really enjoyed actually 

yes a bit kitchy in a couple of parts but overall something really liked especially given its based on fact.

by the way if getting this on disc... there are some issues and best keep in mind. 

the au release blu-ray completely misses with the sound track and doesnt get 3D audio track the us release does.

the us release is wrecked with banding and posteurising.

if want to know what am talking about check the scenes below from the au blu-ray release

33564630755_a2a6c53d22_c.jpg

32721153874_cd522d3b2b_c.jpg

other than those two scenes in the au release of the blu-ray which is no doubt due to some mishap in mastering the rest of the blu-ray is actually quite spectacular in picture quality and the sound track even without 3D audio, post processes well using neural X with some bullets whizzing over head and such ! :D

so id probably stay away from the au or us release of this on blu-ray. I've got the uhd blu-ray version coming, I have not read any issues  wiht its PQ and it does come with the 3D audio sound track so one wiht the lot I do hope :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

incase people wondering its really worth granting this one on uhd blu-ray, it doesnt have the banding issues the us blu-ray release has and in a lesser manner the local blu-ray release.

it also comes with the 3D audio track that our local blu-ray release doesnt. and this movie sure should be watched with its 3D audio track :)

great movie ... i too very much enjoyed :)

On 3/25/2017 at 9:45 PM, Darren69 said:

Usual overrated Yank propaganda. I thought I was watching Hot Shots 3 for a while and I wish I had been.

Oh well, at least we got some dollars out of it with the production happening here.

Avoid at all costs.

I wouldn't avoid at all costs. It looked good and the story was done well but of course it went all "American" and the religious crap really put me off. Being a Mel Gibson job I guess you get that but it did spoil it a bit. Its ok to portray the guy as being been driven by that but for the film to try to thank "jesus" for the result ... :wacko:

Guest Hensa

Thought the movie was a great watch and as for the view that it was too much "for the film to try and thank Jesus for the result", I assumed these were the words direct from the man himself as he stated similar in the interview shown at the end of the movie. If the director was just being true to the words of Doss then it was fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Hensa
One day these folk will give themselves credit for being brave instead of Jesus/God. 

If Doss believed it was his faith that gave him the courage to be brave in such dire circumstances, should he then hide this or fabricate something? Surely Doss has the exclusive right to attribute his bravery to whomever or whatever he pleases? Personally, I found his humility to be refreshing.

Saw Lion as well - another great movie of a different type. Enjoyed them both immensely.

40 minutes ago, Hensa said:

If Doss believed it was his faith that gave him the courage to be brave in such dire circumstances, should he then hide this or fabricate something? Surely Doss has the exclusive right to attribute his bravery to whomever or whatever he pleases? Personally, I found his humility to be refreshing.

I find it sad and appalling he should attribute his own bravery to some fictional figure. He deserved to feel good about himself for what he did, not to have his brainwashing cause him not to recognise what a selfless and brave person he was.

• Like 1

Guest Hensa
I find it sad and appalling he should attribute his own bravery to some fictional figure. He deserved to feel good about himself for what he did, not to have his brainwashing cause him not to recognise what a selfless and brave person he was.

Wow! Sad and appalling!? Doss didn't give the impression at all that he didn't feel good about himself so not sure where you got that from. In any event, my point was that the Director didn't 'create' the religious link to Doss' courage - Doss did that himself and whether we agree with the link or not is moot.

I found that bit where he dragged vince Vaughan behind him on a stretchers while VV shot at the pursuing Japanese a bit dodgy. 

Why the the hell didn't the Japanese just cut that rope ladder down? 

DOSS did what he did over a period of 3 or 4 weeks not a single night and the battle portrayed in the movie was not his first battle either.

i thought the movie was good and the actors did well. 

Etto 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 2