1U Rack Mount Plex Server

Marc

• Administrator

I've been running Plex Server from a small Zotac Z Box for some time and it's been flawless serving to Apple TVs around the house, along with iPads.

I do want something with a little more power however.

As I run a AV rack, I was thinking a 1U rack mount solution, but it's seems hard to find affordable i5 CPU rackmount PCs?

Anyone have any ideas for a 1U rackmount computer with enough grunt (and quiet) for Plex Server?

• Administrator

I did look at that exact one on Grays this morning @rocky500 .

2U would be OK, but I don't know about servers and their CPUs. How does that compare to i5 or i7 processors?

Servers typically in my experience also aren't built to be quiet which is a necessity for the location of this one. I don't know how audible the fans in something like that would be (I note it's got an 1100w power supply).

Used optional?

Plenty of I U servers out there:

Dell:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.X1+u+dell+server.TRS0&_nkw=1+u+dell+server&_sacat=0

Hp:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.X1+u+hp+server.TRS0&_nkw=1+u+hp+server&_sacat=0

Assumption is that the server would be in some sort of wiring closet with ventilation. Otherwise fan noise. I ran my Plex server on Qnap with an i7, nice and quiet.:) 

I use a 1U for my firewall/router duties

It'll mostly come down to what it runs for a power supply - very few industrial units are designed to be quiet!

Guess you could probably use a thin-ITX motherboard in such a thing and route a laptop brick out of it. That'd be quiet.

• Administrator

Used is no problem. Except I don't know what I'm buying. I need at least i5 or i7 equivalent power and don't want jet engine noise.

This is where it's going which as you can see, in a quiet office the rack is only 2m away. 38820ecb4214b69060cdbf967b39e99b.jpg4b46efcb66f1272f0af7710fec36526e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

You could always look at a desktop PC and it could go on top of the Rack under the Dell Printer?

eg.

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0005-2159909/computers-and-it-equipment/dell-vostro-3250-small-form-factor-desktop?spr=true

I think that's what I've been leaning towards. You wouldn't think it so difficult to find rackmount PCs though to be honest.

I think most rackmount PCs have lots of small fans that can run at very high speeds to keep it all cool in tight spots. Hence Jet engine.

While the desktops are designed to be close to the person, so hopefully very quiet.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

Do you have an existing storage solution? Or are you looking to have Plex server with storage within?

Options if you have pre-existing storage eg. NAS.

- Get yourself a Nuc with i7 with wired Ethernet, point your storage to NAS.

If looking at all in one, a small form factor PC with onboard storage.

My mate has a similar setup to yours - the cabinet with rack. But he got his mounted on a wall in his workshop, out of sight. 

• Administrator

Yeah I already use a rackmount Synology for NAS.

I think NUC i7 is the way to go, small, quiet and grunt.

Funnily enough, that was the original intention. Just seems silly having a rack and not being able to rack mount the components. :)

• Like 1