Aurealis surprise. Thank you!

robmid

I ordered a silver DIY interconnect kit from Aurealis last night expecting it to take two or three days. Surprise! It arrived this morning. Definitely not your average for Australia Post.

And what a kit it is. To my surprise it was beautifully packed in a classy looking heavy duty cardboard box tied with red string and all parts packed in a nice calico bag.

The kit cost me just over $80 delivered with 9 metres of silver wire to make a few sets of quad braiding for me. Kit includes 9 metres of very fine teflon tubing, silver solder, polishing cloths for the silver wire and practise wire so I can learn how to quad braid. I have previously purchased silver wire from Ebay and a similar amount of 'unknown quality' wire would have cost me around $50.

Great job Jeff! You just won me. Well worth my investment.

aurealis kit.jpg

Edited by robmid
  • Like 9

@robmid interested to know how these go for you.  When Geoff was finishing his book I got these parts off him and built the cables with his advice.  When I found them better than my Kimber Silver Streak I said "put these together as a kit and people will buy them as they have got the right materials and the information to make them".

Advice: Be patient pushing the silver up the Teflon as it will very easily bend rather than push up the Teflon.

I'm starting weaving tomorrow after a successful trial run. Here's hoping!

Geoff must have read my mind, which is why he was able to post it a week before I knew I wanted to order it.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a small item from Perth. It took 11 days to get here and coincidentally arrived the day after Australia Post replied, together with some other 'slow' deliveries we were expecting. Five of the days were spent in a Brisbane sorting depot and I'm only 150kms away.

When I complained on the Australia Post blog their response was that expected time for non express items is 5 to 6 working days plus a leeway of 2 days in case of holdups.

WOT? I could have walked to Brisbane and back in the same time.

I know that a multi million dollar a year CEO wouldn't let that happen, would he? My theory, from watching the time items spend in sorting depots is that non-express items seem to be held back. Previously, deliveries were overnight for express and 2 to 3 days by standard mail.

Last week I bought a relay audio selector board from Hong Kong. Postage via China Post was $3 and it was delivered to my door five days later.

I'm starting weaving tomorrow after a successful trial run. Here's hoping!
Geoff must have read my mind, which is why he was able to post it a week before I knew I wanted to order it.
A couple of weeks ago I bought a small item from Perth. It took 11 days to get here and coincidentally arrived the day after Australia Post replied, together with some other 'slow' deliveries we were expecting. Five of the days were spent in a Brisbane sorting depot and I'm only 150kms away.
When I complained on the Australia Post blog their response was that expected time for non express items is 5 to 6 working days plus a leeway of 2 days in case of holdups.
WOT? I could have walked to Brisbane and back in the same time.
I know that a multi million dollar a year CEO wouldn't let that happen, would he? My theory, from watching the time items spend in sorting depots is that non-express items seem to be held back. Previously, deliveries were overnight for express and 2 to 3 days by standard mail.
Last week I bought a relay audio selector board from Hong Kong. Postage via China Post was $3 and it was delivered to my door five days later.

i had an issue when i sold something on ebay posted it Friday the 7th arrived at doorstep 17th monday. buyer put in a complaint and paypal held my payment until buyer okay everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Telepathy

• 2 weeks later...

Just a hint for getting the soft wire through the tube.... Put a stiffer wire through first and you this to pull the silver wire through. Always easier to pull something soft than to push.

Happy cabling....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I actually found it simple to get the wire through without any problems and it was only taking me about 1 minute for each metre of wire after I got my confidence up and my shakes under control.

The performance of these cables are quite astonishing especially with my Clone Note LDR preamp. I had been using 23 gauge silver interconnects before I decided to give Geoff's silver cables a try and didn't expect them to sound much different but they were head and shoulders over my attempt, which were woven with two signal wires and one drain.

"You never know till you give it a go!"

I used the Taiwanese 'Star' bullet plugs off eBay but Geoff at Aurealis has them for about the same price. I have found they sound brighter and more involving in my system than ETIR copper bullets which seem warmer but ETIR silver bullets are probably more suitable. But I keep returning to the 'Star' RCA's even though they are showing a lot of wear from bad soldering days.

• 3 weeks later...

May I just add to Robmid's post by saying that I also received amazing service from Geoff.  I ordered two pairs of phono cables only yesterday and they arrived today!  Huh?  I only paid yesterday through direct deposit so my funds couldn't have transferred in time.  However, he delivered them the same day the order was placed. 

@gmdb Thank you.

Tricky