Speaker placement help

Hi all,

Just looking for a little advice please.

Im in the middle of setting up a 5.1 surround system in the living area. This is never going to be too serious but as we have been watching a heap of movies lately, I want to get fairly decent sound.

So so this is the room.

IMG_0080.JPGIMG_0083.JPG

Not ideal I know. The centre of the telly is pretty much the centre of the couch.

I have built a false wall to put the telly on , the speakers in and also to house the sub and electronics. Looks nice and tidy, but not sure I can squeeze a centre channel in? There is 1000mm between the front speakers.

These are the speakers I have.

IMG_1204.JPGIMG_1205.PNG

Revel in walls. W 580 8 inch for the fronts and W 560 6.5 inch for the rears.

i can source another matching Revel to use for centre if it would work and be of benefit.

The other big question is where should I place my rear speakers? In the back wall or in the ceiling?

i can get the spacing better in the ceiling and it will look better but will it sound better than in the wall? The couch is hard up against the back wall, this may be an issue for mounting there.

The receiver is a Denon AVR X 1200w. Pretty nice unit. Sounds quite good, still trying to get my head around it.

Sub is a Focal Cub 2, not ideal but it seems to work ok. Placement is also not ideal but it cannot be changed, it must live there.

Any responses, good, bad or ugly appreciated.

Cheers Dave 

Looks like a tough area to work with. Given how closely spaced your front speakers are, I don't think you're going to gain much with a centre speaker.

As far as the "rear" speakers go, they shouldn't really be behind the seat, but to the sides (http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html).  However, given so little side room, I'd say you might be better off with ceiling mounted surround speakers.

Also of note is the amount of hard surfaces in your room. I'd be throwing down a rug on the floor and swapping out that wall mirror with something made of a soft material.  The wall behind the couch would also benefit from some surface treatment.

Thanks for the reply, it is a really tough room but just making do with what I've got.

We do normally have a rug in that room, it does help a bit. The mirror and the artwork has to stay also. Gotta keep the wife happy.

Rear speakers in the ceiling it is then. They just arrived yesterday so will spend a bit of time on the weekend getting them in and will run Audyssey again etc

Will let you know how I get on . 

Cheers Dave.

• 3 months later...

Just an option...

I would suggest using angled in-ceiling speakers like those from Paradigm or Martin Logan for the front 3 which would give you correct spacing and maybe a little more aesthetically pleasing?

http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/paradigm-ci-home-h-65a-angled-in-ceiling-speakers-pair.html

Maybe the existing Revels you have can be used for the surrounds or in another area, outdoors maybe in an eave?

As you have it now the L+R are quite close together so a phantom centre would be perfect. No real advantage of another speaker as a centre.

• Like 1

Hey Rob,

Have scored another matching Revel for the centre speaker. There isn't a lot of space in between but it really has made a big difference to the sound, especially the vocals. I don't get as much separation as I would like, but it really seems to work well.

I have also replaced the focal sub with an Anthony Gallo TR 1 10 inch sealed sub. It works so much better in the less than ideal location I have to have it in.

The enjoyment factor has gone up a lot. We really love sitting down and watching a good movie now. 

Cheers Dave

• Like 1

You haven't mentioned the type and size of your screen.

Personally I'd opt for a wide dispersal sound, similar to Dolby Atmos, but using reflection off walls using center and rear channels wired out of phase [ Red speaker output from amp wired to Black, and visa versa], then fired towards the walls, rather than directly at the viewer.

It depends a lot on the capabilities of your surround amp on how well this works, if using a Marantz / Yamaha surround amp, just setting up the mic at the viewers seating position, should automatically adjust for the delay caused from using a 'Refected sound' rather than a 'Direct sound'

Result should be a lot bigger sounding room than it actually is, but with Movie / Game identifying sound areas, still relevant to the picture being viewed.....very simple and cost effective test to see if it works for you anyway, if you find it doesn't , just reverse the speaker cabling, and turn the speakers around to face the viewer, rather than to reflect off the walls......no harm done.

But I'm guessing you will find NOT running a center channel better in such a confined space if using direct firing speakers, just turn the center off on your surround amp and the main L & R will take over reproducing that info, it won't 'Not be reproduced'....I took my center out, as I found it sounded a LOT better just using the main L& R...I also have a small L shaped room.

Edited by Tweaky

Very interesting mate, cheers for that.

The telly is 55 inch. The biggest I could really fit in the space. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it all sounds at the moment.

Will try to post another pic this arvo.

cheers Dave 

2 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Very interesting mate, cheers for that.

The telly is 55 inch. The biggest I could really fit in the space. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it all sounds at the moment.

Will try to post another pic this arvo.

cheers Dave 

I just edited my post giving more info.

Hi Dave,

Are you happy with the height of the TV, It looks a little on the high side to me.

Also have you played around with the speaker arrangement by having the TV partially obstructing the left and right front channels? Although partially obstructed it would be best to have the speakers as close to ear height (when seated) as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The photos may be a bit deceiving, the tweeters are very close to ear height. As close as I could get them.

The height of the telly seems fine, ideally down a little would be best. But nothing I can't live with.

Thanks for the tips.

cheers Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Wont be any stereo use mate, that's left to the main system. This is purely for movies and music outside

Oh yes, perfect then. The spotify connect makes them very useful.