Is good or not?  I've seen some older posts on SNA that highlighted establishments in Vietnam / Japan (I think) that had sound systems/LPs but this seems like the concept has been re-imagined and a bit of a 'fad'?  I wonder how much room treatment is installed?  Some of the trendy/upscale restaurants I've been in lately you wouldn't want to put in a good audio system - the 'buzz' is just to loud! 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/31/arts/music/london-listening-clubs-spiritland.html?_r=0

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, frankn said:

Is good or not?  I've seen some older posts on SNA that highlighted establishments in Vietnam / Japan (I think) that had sound systems/LPs but this seems like the concept has been re-imagined and a bit of a 'fad'?  I wonder how much room treatment is installed?  Some of the trendy/upscale restaurants I've been in lately you wouldn't want to put in a good audio system - the 'buzz' is just to loud! 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/31/arts/music/london-listening-clubs-spiritland.html?_r=0

I haven't seen any in Vietnam mate but I am a bit :hiccup most of the time.  They had fair few hifi stores in District 1 in an area down near Saigon Square if I remember.  The prices are more than here and of course you'd be concerned with fakes. I think VN taxes imports heavily to help the local manufacturers from what I remember.

Hi @Jakeyb77 - the article is writing about restaurants bars putting in high priced HiFi systems so the punters can "listen" to good reproduction.  I don't believe they are selling gear.  I'm sure previously there was a post or two about bars/cafes in Vietnam that had very good sound systems and amazing collection of records that you could listen to.   

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, frankn said:

Hi @Jakeyb77 - the article is writing about restaurants bars putting in high priced HiFi systems so the punters can "listen" to good reproduction.  I don't believe they are selling gear.  I'm sure previously there was a post or two about bars/cafes in Vietnam that had very good sound systems and amazing collection of records that you could listen to.   

Yeah sorry I did get what you meant.  I just didn't see any but they could be around. Would need to be very well soundproofed to beat all the horns honking lol.

The one in London is similar to the HIEND Cafes of Ho Chin Min.I would say its more to do with eye candy and talking point over sound quality.It would not work in Adelaide but would be a draw card to some of the hipster cafe in Melbourne .Tubes and Horns are the draw card......

Hi End Cafe

Address: 126 Suong Nguyet Anh Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

Cafe Hi-END

Address: 217 Nguyen Van Thu St., Da Kao ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.

10359069_10152430704267357_2232981220329278232_o.jpg11184680-bai.jpg20130409230852CpqWADyv.jpgbai viet 25.jpgfoody-album-hi-end-cafe-nguyen-dinh-chieu-5699ac8d-abdb-4236-991c-d38dfd90622c-635380511114022478.jpg

Hi-Fi Bar?  Now if I was a single woman looking to pick up a lonely, balding , fairly dull ,middle aged man ,this would be my absolute go to destination.

Huge speakers, lots of valves and Turntables are far more important to get the punters in than absolute sound quality.  Looking cool ,is , was and always will be fundamental to popularity. Plaster photos of the  hip looking stuff on the advertising , try and make it some kind of cool underground "club". Avoid boring audiophile recordings at all costs, old swing and disco with some modern stuff with substantial bass and the youngsters might just dig it.  No use preaching to the converted.......

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

A bit more on Spiritland in London. 75/25 on the "Awesome/W@nk" split :D

Actually my wife saw this over my shoulder and said, "Are you really interested in watching this? It just looks like a big version of our music room". Which I took as a compliment, kinda.

http://thevinylfactory.com/films/spiritland-london/

• Like 1

Hrmm I've seen a few bars in Japan that have vinyl setups that spin records as you drink but they weren't high end setups.  Still a nice change up from what we have in Aus.  But I might see if I can't find one this July/Aug.  Yup going back again (for those playing along at home)