Speaker choice (sugden a21a)

i have acquired a sugden a21a , which I believe was made in the late 90s ? As I'm using b&w cm1s the sound is fantastic , but these speakers are low 84db ! 

I understand the sugden is a pure class A at 25w per channel and that should not be a problem ? 

Basically my question is for anyone that has used this amp with various speakers please enlighten me .

17 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

As many industry reviews have alluded to over the years, the A21a acts like a Class AB 75 watt amplifier (in power terms). Certainly more power is always an advantage, but the Sugden should work well with the CM1. 

The room I'm in is very large with wooden flooring (open space ) but in the next few weeks will be in a smaller living area with carpet and very solid walls . 

The cm1s do the job well and I would guess even better in a smaller environment , but I do have a option for a pair of sonus faber concerto's ! 

17 hours ago, Diynamic said:

The room I'm in is very large with wooden flooring (open space ) but in the next few weeks will be in a smaller living area with carpet and very solid walls . 

The cm1s do the job well and I would guess even better in a smaller environment , but I do have a option for a pair of sonus faber concerto's ! 

Concertos - now you're talking!

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you've already tried it and liked it, so why the question?

If it didn't have enough power or wasn't a good match for some other reason, you'd have heard it.

How much power you need is very much dependent on how loud you listen and to what type of music you listen to.

If you don't hear any issues, then don't change it!

18 minutes ago, audio_file said:

It sounds like you've already tried it and liked it, so why the question?

If it didn't have enough power or wasn't a good match for some other reason, you'd have heard it.

How much power you need is very much dependent on how loud you listen and to what type of music you listen to.

If you don't hear any issues, then don't change it!

Probably should have made it more clear I didn't take me speakers with me to audition the sugden , now that I have moved into a house with a 5m x 5m living room , it is one of the best blind buys I have made .

Im still curious what other sugden a21a owners use as bookshelf speakers as in the future I will upgrade the speakers . The amp is a keeper . 

Some speaker companies consider 5m x 5m a small room. To me it's a medium size, but again the power you need is still dependent on other factors, like how loud you want it and what you listen to.

I listen between 75 and 85dB SPL, but I know of some people who love turning their systems up to over 100. (don't know how their ears hold up, but anyway)

I'd love to try the Sugden A21a out one day, either that one or the A21 SE.

• Like 1

Just over 1/4 volume is plenty , my flooring is carpet and I have a old federation house which has mega thick walls . 

My music preference which has always been ambient electronics from early 90s , and with this amp and speakers it really separates the sound image :)  And vocal / accoustic !! Eargasm 

Had only moved in last night to my new place , so there will be some changes in furniture placement ... my first priority was setting up the hifi first hahaha

• Like 1

A 5m by 5m room is not small and perhaps too big for most smallish stand mounts and only 20 watts.I believe they are really more like 15 watts.

Rocky has some JBL Studio 580s for sale here.They would probably work really well with a low powered amp.

Hahah your funny .

what do you class As smallish stand mounts ? 

And how is a pure class A 25w amp low powered ? 

5mx5m big for you ? 

I forgot most people think bigger is better 

2 hours ago, THOMO said:

A 5m by 5m room is not small and perhaps too big for most smallish stand mounts and only 20 watts.I believe they are really more like 15 watts.

Rocky has some JBL Studio 580s for sale here.They would probably work really well with a low powered amp.

29 minutes ago, Diynamic said:

Hahah your funny .

5mx5m big for you ? 

Well I am using a biggish three way with 12 inch woofers [Yamaha NS75Ts] in a room which is only 4.4m by 3.3m with a 20 watt amp and that works really well -certainly better than any stand mount I have tried in that room.Those speakers are pretty efficient too.

If you want some convincing scale and a visceral quality to the music my guess is you will need bigger and more efficient speakers and those JBLs will do that [some of the floor standing Focals and Osbornes would do it too]

Edited by THOMO

for context I ran larger B&W 602 s2 standmounts off old nad 7020i (genuine 20wpc) for years in a larger room. and the combo is still running all these decades later now in a study system in my dads.

for typical listening be just fine in my opinion.

standmounts typically tend to no be overly efficient, however they are hardly if EVER very difficult loads either.

as to what will work well in a combo its hard to say really as often a thing of personal taste :)

if like the B&Ws with the sugden thats great to hear. perhaps take into a retailer and give a go with some other speakers if curious :)

• Like 1

Guest rogerthat
On 12/11/2016 at 10:04 AM, Diynamic said:

Hahah your funny .

5mx5m big for you ? 

Congrats, Sugden is definitely a class above. Sounds like a sublime combo and plenty, plenty, plenty power. I have a similar sized setup and similar sized treated room. Like you I consider that size room to be small but absolutely perfect for what you have. In fact, until I got room treatment, the speaker easily overpowered the room and I felt like downgrading to something like the harbeth p3 or atc scm7!

I think I will hold out for a while , the cm1s are doing a fantastic job  . If the room was any smaller it would feel as if I was in a prison cell and speakers to be to close , 3m is a perfect distance to be sitting in front . 

My speakers are placed in each corner of the room and the stereo image is airy !

The amp at 1/2 volume is thumping and probably too loud for the room .

Thanks to the sugden .

Edited by Diynamic