Anyone found racks like these?

I am based in Sydney and looking for a new rack to accommodate very large vintage amp and pre + a couple of other bits.

It doesn't have to be built for purpose as HIFI stuff tends to be a lot more expensive.

You would think a simple shelving system would be easy to find but it seems not.

Has anyone seen any affordable solutions in Aus that look like these?

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 11.12.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 11.12.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 11.13.59 AM.png

7 hours ago, jackrinse said:

Yes, I think you are right.

If you found an "off the shelf" (pardon the pun) solution, it would cost a lot less.

I may go the custom route if nothing becomes available.

Whats your budget?

Hi Nada

I don't really know until I come across something I like.

Right now funds are low but I know I need something and I want to buy this side of Christmas ideally.

I just picked up an old power amp and loved it that much I bought the matching pre from Russia the next day.

In truth, I could not really afford it but you know how it is.

So the best answer I could give is -

Cheap option - Purchase a perfectly formed solution on Ebay for $100

Less cheap option -  find some local wiz who builds beautiful things and I could buy something for over a grand but it would be something I would treasure for a long time.

Gumtree is a good place for this type of stand, however they are generally described as TV unit or entertainment display unit and so forth 

alternativly you can get a solid timber drawer unit and replace the draws with shelves 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moore-park/other-furniture/chest-of-drawers-and-tv-stand/1127160718

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/meadowbank/other-furniture/television-stand/1127002261

@jackrinse how are you at DIY?

You can find everything you need at Bunnings.

Buy;

3 solid or laminated wood panels and cut to size.

6 (9 if you want a wooden leg below bottom shelf) pre threaded uprights (legs) of desired heights, biggest leg is 230mm.

6 (9) thread inserts to go into bottom of each panel which legs simply screw into.

All you would need is a drill and hammer to build it.

paint/stain to taste and you are done.

I'm seriously looking at doing this in my family room with a pre-ordered Bamboo panels athough I'll also use some audio spikes & shoes to bing up the "isolation" between each section. I don't expect it to make any sonic improvement, but will look more audiophile in presentation. :party:popcorn:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/brands/l/leggz

Edited by blybo

Yeah the perspex is where the money cut's in about $300 for 6 shelves from memory @600x600

I think bamboo will be more expensive again. Probably $600-700 for 3x 1200x600x32 shelves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, jackrinse said:

@BATMAQN I currently have the same Sound Organisation stand that you have in black, mine is silver.

I will be selling it to fund the new rack (partially)do you need another ;o)

Thanks for the offer mate but I'm not after any more racks just means I have to buy more gear to fill it done enough of that already time for a financial rest. 

• Like 1