Home Theatre amplification.

12 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Hmmm, I can get a brand new Marantz AV7701 for $2,000 or brand new Marantz AV7702 mkii for $2,900.

After 4.5 years of living with this system, I doubt I'll ever need ATMOS or 11 channels of processing.  Never say never of course, but the purpose of the system just doesn't suit it.  Having said that, "never buy old technology"...

The AV7701 only has Audyssey XT, not XT32 like the AV7702 - the latter has much better bass equalisation. The AV7701 was reportedly a minor update on the old AV7005, while the AV7702 was a more serious revision (and gained proper 4K processing with the Mk11 update).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The AV7701 only has Audyssey XT, not XT32 like the AV7702 - the latter has much better bass equalisation. The AV7701 was reportedly a minor update on the old AV7005, while the AV7702 was a more serious revision (and gained proper 4K processing with the Mk11 update).

thats a very good pickup ! I would be going the 2 model just on the basis of xt32 !  even if the 4k side is a non concern :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Right you are Quarky, again a good pick up.  There seems to be more in it than just extra processing channels and ATMOS.  I'm sold, the 7702 will be a much better unit... thanks!

@Kaynin cough

cough.

If it's an increase in 2ch you are ultimately seeking, this would integrate perfectly with what you already have to give a significant upgrade to 2ch sound. The Pre amp has HT bypass and the Reference is a much better power amp than my Elektra Theatron I use in the home theatre. I know this for a fact as I demo'ed my own multi channel Elektra in my 2ch system before buying @joz's power amp. A month later I bought the Elektra preamp and the system took several jumps ahead again.

I've also run a pair of Eos thru this pre/power combo (before going to my kids playroom system) and it sounded sublime.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AudioGeek said:

I think the 7703 is going to be released soon, then the 7702 mk2 will drop in price spectacularly

I would definitely wait up see what happens wiht the 7703 coming :)

40 minutes ago, Sime said:

I used to have a Rotel 1570 pre/pro which I thought was ok till I heard what an 8801 with xt32 can do to a subwoofer. Jebus:love 

definitely wouldnt disregard an 8801 if popped up, in some ways suggest if not chasing latest formats etc then 8801 might be  better buy :) for the money !

Any time frames for arrival?

@Kaynin

Also need to check as @:) al has said previously, many AV processors will still process signals coming through analog inputs by default. Important if you want to use your external DAC. To get pure analog with my Integra processor I have to use the main L&R of the Multi Channel in analog connections and them assign then to an input like CD etc within the processors menu system.

The best (least compromise) you can have is Al's set up, 2ch power amp and 2ch pre with HT bypass integrated with an AV processor into multichannel amps for AV duties. But that is probably overkill. You need to decide where the main SQ priority lies, 2ch or AV

1 minute ago, blybo said:

The best (least compromise) you can have is Al's set up, 2ch power amp and 2ch pre with HT bypass integrated with an AV processor into multichannel amps for AV duties. But that is probably overkill. You need to decide where the main SQ priority lies, 2ch or AV

That set-up of Al's is his main system, this one I'm discussing of mine isn't.  A Marantz processor & multi-channel Elektra will be over engineering as it is - so will be ideal.  All I need to decide upon is the processor model.  :D

That set-up of Al's is his main system, this one I'm discussing of mine isn't.  A Marantz processor & multi-channel Elektra will be over engineering as it is - so will be ideal.  All I need to decide upon is the processor model.  :D

If not going to worry about 4k UHD, I'd look for a 8801. Still think an integrated or 2ch pre with HT bypass is the way to go if it's really 80% music use, but an AV processor will be a simpler solution, even if not the best SQ achievable.

Edited by blybo
spelling

17 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Any time frames for arrival?

dont know to be honest.

also as a heads up if waiting a while my big denon might also be coming up for sale in the next month.  priced just slightly above a 7702 if off interest. truly balanced (which even my marantz isn't), xt32, audyssey pro and full audyssey suite, its heavier than an elektra and massive discrete dac board, will pass 3D video. just will have to work around for 4k and it wont do 3D audio. I still ran a separate 2ch rig to it, but can imagine its pretty good over analog still :)

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

dont know to be honest.

also as a heads up if waiting a while my big denon might also be coming up for sale in the next month.  priced just slightly above a 7702 if off interest. truly balanced (which even my marantz isn't), xt32, audyssey pro and full audyssey suite, its heavier than an elektra and massive discrete dac board, will pass 3D video. just will have to work around for 4k and it wont do 3D audio. I still ran a separate 2ch rig to it, but can imagine its pretty good over analog still :)

Thanks mate, keen to move from an AVR to separates.  I'll look in to the 8801 you previously mentioned.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sime said:

If your only going for 5.1, and no ATMOS, 8801 for sure. 

Yeah, I'm heading in that direction now.  I'm seeking a brand new unit, but that's difficult considering it's a superseded model.  I may have located one, just waiting on a call back and pricing...

Having no experience with these models it gets confusing quite quickly.  Not too sure of the differences between the 7702 and the 8801, just have to do a bit of reading.

39 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Kaynin yes, I've heard that the latest 7702 can sound as good as the older 8801, but who knows. The 8801 was a 6k unit at release. 

This 7702 or it's replacement will probably be my replacement for the Integra in my HT room. Getting sick of not being able to pass UHD thru my processor. Requires setting changes in the Integra which don't appear to be set according to source/input. This means I'm basically the only 1 in the house that can run the HT system since going UHD.

40 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Kaynin yes, I've heard that the latest 7702 can sound as good as the older 8801, but who knows. The 8801 was a 6k unit at release. 

That's good to know mate.  The build quality on the 8801 is excellent, no doubt about that.  7702 will be the fall back unit if I can't score an 8801.  I have found one, but the discount is no where near commensurate with an outdated model, negotiations will continue tomorrow.  There's plenty of 7702's around at good pricing.  The new 7702 won't arrive onshore until next year, and I'm not in a position to wait...

1 hour ago, Sime said:

I've heard this too, but haven't been able to listen back to back on the same systems.

57 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

That's good to know mate.  The build quality on the 8801 is excellent, no doubt about that.  7702 will be the fall back unit if I can't score an 8801.  I have found one, but the discount is no where near commensurate with an outdated model, negotiations will continue tomorrow.  There's plenty of 7702's around at good pricing.  The new 7702 won't arrive onshore until next year, and I'm not in a position to wait...

8801s were going for $4K on release through some retailers (albeit the AUD$ was a little stronger) and as a long superseded suggest you would want to pay less.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I've heard this too, but haven't been able to listen back to back on the same systems.

8801s were going for $4K on release through some retailers (albeit the AUD$ was a little stronger) and as a long superseded suggest you would want to pay less.

Good to know.  Finding someone with stock of a new unit is the hard part, most retailers move on the old stock when the new models arrive.  I've found one through a store, but price needs to be right.  I kid you not, via the Qualifi website, I've phoned every Marantz authorised retailer in Victoria, South Oz, NSW, Qld. & W.A.  I also called Qualifi but was advised that they don't keep track of what stores keep stock of what product. 

1 hour ago, Sime said:

I paid $3300 early 2015

Thanks for that, very handy.  I've started by saying I expect a price sub-$3,000 before I'd even consider it, the sales rep said a "token" discount has been offered but doesn't see it as realistic (he's found one via a third party) but he's chasing it up tomorrow to get a better price.  I can get a 7702 for $2,700, so as a back up that would be just fine for what I need - especially where you and @Quark say they sound as good as the 8801, which is enough for me to pull the trigger on that unit if need be. 

I'm also trying to sort out a price for a used 7 channel Elektra, hopefully will have an answer tomorrow for both units and be done with it!  Worst case scenario Melbourne Hifi has Elektras on sale at the moment...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sime said:

That price was new also. 

It's an awesome unit, no doubt about that.  I've rung around everywhere and could only find one available, now I've got my heart set on it.  It's way above what I need - but what's that got to do with anything! 

Edited by Kaynin