ML5

bhobba

Hi Blybo
Yup Dave is right here , this is very complex indeed . In the case of the new ML5 the Seas Exotic allows a very low 1700hz Xover.
the 8inch bass driver we are using has a particular cone profile and this must be matched very carefully with the inverse profile of the tweeter in question ( bloody hell what have I started here ?) the woofer cone has a beaming profile and the tweeter has a Flaring profile , the two have to be married together to produce a linear smooth power response across at least 120degrees
The power response of every speaker I have so far measured from other manufacturers is almost amazingly poor ! (Are good ones out there ? Can someone point me to one with backup measurements?).
Keep Lisnin. Mike Lenehan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Always look forward to more speakers from Mike!! Would love to try some ML2 ref against the 1038 floorstanders I currently have.

Mike is looking at an ML2 version of the ML5.  His new resonance technique means no stands and likely a better speaker.

Might even commission Mike to build one myself - likely a very good option for my sisters or nieces media system.  And the new tweeter is amazing.

Mike also told me he has come up with a wild new and amazing crossover.  Its his secret and he wont tell me but hopefully will have some general things to say.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Might even commission Mike to build one myself - likely a very good option for my sisters or nieces media system.  And the new tweeter is amazing.

I just happened to be looking at my family tree ....... and think we may be related! :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Mike is looking at an ML2 version of the ML5.  His new resonance technique means no stands and likely a better speaker.

Mike also told me he has come up with a wild new and amazing crossover.  Its his secret and he wont tell me but hopefully will have some general things to say.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill.       Yes the 6.5 inch two way floorstander is a possibility ! Not until the ML5 floorstander have I been able to get a full size speaker to image and soundstage like a good stand mount (aka ML1's and ML2's) 

The new Xover is indeed a little different . Not sure yet if it just happens to work on the ML5 or whether it will be repeatable on another speaker. If so the floorstanding 6.5 May be a reality .          Regards Mike Lenehan

3 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

I just happened to be looking at my family tree ....... and think we may be related! :) 

Hey Rob.      I'm sure all your relations need ML5's !  Well !  ML1's at least 

.                    Cheers Mike

• Like 2

Some pictures of the first production ML5.

Mikes best speaker yet.  Very musical and analogue like, an absolute joy to listen to with zero fatigue.  Mike will be delivering them to Port Macquarie over the weekend and Monday.

For technical details such as crossover topology etc ask Mike.

I was privileged to see the attention to detail is some of their manufacturing - very high quality.

SAM_0265.JPG

SAM_0266.JPG

SAM_0270.JPG

SAM_0269.JPG

SAM_0268.JPG

SAM_0267.JPG

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Very musical and analogue like, an absolute joy to listen to with zero fatigue

I'm a Lenehan fan and have his speakers, but I'm a little puzzled with your description, I thought speakers should produce what is being delivered, analogue like and zero fatigue would be a result of everything else, not the speakers, just saying :)

1 hour ago, awayward said:

I'm a Lenehan fan and have his speakers, but I'm a little puzzled with your description, I thought speakers should produce what is being delivered, analogue like and zero fatigue would be a result of everything else, not the speakers, just saying :)

Mate try writing speaker impressions - it aren't easy.  The Magnesium Limited are ultra fast, revealing and detailed but maybe slightly cold.  All speakers should be like that ie revealing -but not cold.  Would you use the same words - who knows.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

I agree it is very difficult describing what we hear in most aspects of our passion, btw I live in Port Macquarie, I hope Mike is being mischievous and surprising me with a visit this weekend with my new ML5s, replacing my ML2 lids, just for being a loyal customer, what a great guy, wishful thinking.   :welcome:

• Like 2

On 11 November 2016 at 9:00 PM, awayward said:

Awayward 

Funny but I get exactly where you are coming from w.r.t. your comments here.

Fundamentally I feel you are spot on.

The interesting thing is how do you know if the speaker is delivering to you what is being delivered to it??????

i have heard MANY speakers ( often quite expensive) that use relatively crap crossover parts ( or poor cabinet design or poor crossover implementation) that sound either:

a. Slow, bland and boring no matter what feeds them or

b.  Hard sterile or brittle no matter what feeds them.

I think what bill is saying ( and I was there listening to the development process of the ML5) is that these speakers will produce a lovely natural analogue presentation if that is what they are fed.

Likewise, you feed em crap and......

so in other words, the speakers have a nice degree of resolution without imparting a dry un-involving character of their own that a lot of modern speakers seem to do.

Bill, do I interpret correctly??

Edited by rawl99
Complementary Apple auto correct
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, rawl99 said:

Bill, do I interpret correctly??

Partly.

But these speakers are affected, as you know, with the capacitors and inductors used.  Each has a slightly different sound.   I was commenting on the overall impression all the different parts used gave me .

Thaks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

6 hours ago, Darren69 said:

@awayward  that looks amazing, congrats!!

Might have to invite myself and @Jventer to Port. :)

or have I already done that??

Some serious gear there mate, lovely!

Daz

Daz, unfortunately the ML5 speakers were not for me, and yes this lucky fellow has a very nice setup, wouldn't mind an invite myself.

Although my gear is very similar, PS Audio gear, P10, BHK 250, Directstream, Parasound JC2 pre, microRendu, sonicTransporter running Roon, and ML2 Reference Limited speakers, plus a moderate vinyl rig, all in a dedicated large room, if you are ever down this way you are welcome to visit.

cheers

Wayne

• Like 4

On 07/11/2016 at 4:27 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

The power response of every speaker I have so far measured from other manufacturers is almost amazingly poor ! (Are good ones out there ? Can someone point me to one with backup measurements?).

Agreed.   It is what pushed me into DIY.

Started looking into getting good speakers on a not insane budget for out high-school music department.....  learned what made a good speaker, couldn't find it, tried to build it.   Still trying ;)

So, only charts of my own stuff.

On 15/11/2016 at 5:35 PM, awayward said:

ML2 Reference Limited speakers, plus a moderate vinyl rig, all in a dedicated large room, if you are ever down this way you are welcome to visit.

Wayne - bonza mate.

I own a pair of ML2 Limited. Mike will be upgrading the crossover on it as a result off the capacitor GTG.  My Magnesium Limited will be optimized with the capacitors and we will have a comparison with the limited.  Initial listening is the ML2 limited are very refined and anything but cold - although not what I would call warm - neutral and musical maybe.  But even with a test crossover the magnesium limited simply blew me, Mike, and Rawl away with speed, detail and transparency,  I have never heard anything like it - we heard things of recordings never before heard.  There were three there - me Mike and Rawl.  Now I have heard a few speakers in my time, but Mike and Rawl have heard MANY more - even they were in awe.  But it was slightly cold - did it detract enough against the ML2's to make up for the increased speed and detail - for me no - I preferred the Magnesium's.  The ML5's however did make up for it for me and was the best speaker I have so far heard.  But this was a test crossover on the Magnesium.  What when its optimized using the best parts?  We Will see.

Bottom line is we MAY be able to get the Magnesium's down to you in Port Macquarie to see what you think before they are put in my system - you can even have  a GTG with the Port Macquarie guys and some like Mike and Rawl may make it down - although he is a bit 'knackered' from his current trip.

Anyway love to see slightly contrarian views and enjoyed your posts greatly - keep it up.

Thasnks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba

• 2 weeks later...

Just delivered the black gloss pair of ML5's ! Here's what the new owner emailed me after putting them in his system (below)
(The ML5’s sound excellent! Better in every way than my Martin Logan’s. Better dynamics, musicality, detail, a larger sound stage and better placement of instruments in the soundstage. Drums sound tighter and more realistic, cymbals sound crisper and more realistic'. And my Martin Logan's were the best value speaker I could find at the price point when I bought them'.

Regards Owen )
We will be having a GTG in the new year for the ML5 and combining it probably with the capacitor comparison. Stay tooned Lads
Regards Mike Lenehan
IMG_5066.thumb.JPG.450849dd42988f8bd10fb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9