SPR08Y

Headphone Stands DIY

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have been playing around making a few headphone stands for my Sennheiser HD650s and also as a possible project for my Year 10 D&T students next year. There seems to be a resurgence of headphones amongst kids and they have been excited by the prototypes I have made. One I've used the Laser Cutter and some 6mm Basswood ply, which lasers very nicely, to produce the more open looking one below. It is very similar to the 'Bendy Head' headphone stand I saw online somewhere, with some Audeze headphones on it/them. It just slots together - took a few goes to work out the cutting pattern to get the ply to bend, a bit like 'kerfing', and the angle of the sides took longer! The other one I have made out of birchply and glued a veneer of American Black Walnut onto each external face. Both were coated with a few coats of nitrocellulose lacquer then sprayed a couple of times with some satin estapol. They seem to have worked out ok. 

Will post some pictures of an acrylic prototype that I have also made on the Laser Cutter, though I'm not as happy with it, soon. 

Regards, Michael 

(Mods, please move this topic to DIY if you think it belongs there, I was in two minds where to post, sorry!) image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

aasza's post of the Beautiful Headphone Stands on Massdrop, inspired me to post these! 

Edited by SPR08Y
9 people like this

Please support our sponsors by clicking on their banners:

Nice work! I really like the open-faced version :) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Here is one I put together on the weekend. I wanted it wide enough so the cups sealed to keep the dust out.

I made it out of an old toilet seat lid that I've had sitting in the shed for years! I couldn't bear to throw out a nice piece of oak.:D

Greg

headphone stand.jpg

2 people like this

Nice!

I too made sure my prototypes sealed the cups in the same way.

Please post more pictures of your Headphone Stands, it will prove to be a great resource. I've browsed the thread on headfi which is very good, I'm sure there are more out there. 

Definitely more class than mine Michael, though perhaps not as versatile :)

PICT0078 (Medium).JPG

Edited by ophool
1 person likes this

Mine is dual function...

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

1 person likes this

Finally got around to getting some photos of the acrylic stand. Not overly happy with it as the footprint is too large. Will continue to tweak this design. The more prototypes I have to show my D&T students the better! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this

On 9/27/2016 at 0:19 PM, Iain said:

Nice work! I really like the open-faced version :) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mind sharing the drawing for the open faced one? Would be keen to make one

Can do, but in what format? I've used a laser cutter to cut it out, I've drawn it in Vectorworks. Can easily email you a copy of the Vectorworks file if you pm me your email address. Can save it as another format (.dwg, .eps, etc.) too if you specify what format you would like. 

Sort of DIY, like everything Ikea... Should be good for 6 headphones and for charging my DAP, DAC and phone. Lower shelf good for a couple of headphone cases.

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/60253075/

ragrund-towel-rack-chair__0190743_PE344267_S4.JPG

PS: got this instead!

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/40177761/

Edited by sabloke

Has anyone tried GregWormald's design but with a small drawer in the interior cavity to keep spare cables in, or to gather the headphone cable into?

6 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Has anyone tried GregWormald's design but with a small drawer in the interior cavity to keep spare cables in, or to gather the headphone cable into?

I haven't:D--but I did see some designs where they put a couple of small drawer handles on the back on which to wind cables.

Greg

1 person likes this