What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

2 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Not on topic but.... I am just so chuffed to see someone use the correct spelling for "rapt", a much misspelled word if ever there is one. Well done @TerryO , well done indeed.

Also, @stevoz  how does that vinyl edition of Magnification sound, and from where did you get it?

It just arrived today, haven't played it yet and might not be able to for awhile until I work out what's going on in my 'power box'. Circuits keep tripping and at the moment, the power circuit which my audio is running off seems faulty, so I have been without music for a day or two. The other night when that circuit stayed on, I went to turn the amp on and it tripped off! Now it stays on but there's no power getting through....that particular circuit breaker may be faulty and the main circuit breaker could possibly be faulty as well, causing it to trip when it normally wouldn't.....very frustrating! Will report back when I have solved it and finally played the new LP. I can tell you I got it on ebay from 'importcds-au'. They were the cheapest....and free postage.:)

3 hours ago, stevoz said:

It just arrived today, haven't played it yet and might not be able to for awhile until I work out what's going on in my 'power box'. Circuits keep tripping and at the moment, the power circuit which my audio is running off seems faulty, so I have been without music for a day or two. The other night when that circuit stayed on, I went to turn the amp on and it tripped off! Now it stays on but there's no power getting through....that particular circuit breaker may be faulty and the main circuit breaker could possibly be faulty as well, causing it to trip when it normally wouldn't.....very frustrating! Will report back when I have solved it and finally played the new LP. I can tell you I got it on ebay from 'importcds-au'. They were the cheapest....and free postage.:)

Sounds like you are having a frustrating time of it currently (see what I did there?). Hope you get it sorted out in the shortest possible time.

Thanks for that information, my Magnification LP is now on it's way to me. Wahoo!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 6:43 PM, JukKluk2 said:

Sounds like you are having a frustrating time of it currently (see what I did there?). Hope you get it sorted out in the shortest possible time.

Thanks for that information, my Magnification LP is now on it's way to me. Wahoo!

I haven't got all my circuit breakers worked out but do have some power circuits still functioning so I ran a long power lead from a good power point down to my AV power board and turned on the amp. No tripping! Listening to 'Magnification' now. Let me say this, you will not be disappointed! It sounds fantastic and is getting better as my Pho-8 phono stage warms up after being off for a few days now. Appears to be a very quiet pressing and the music SQ is very good. Bass down a little on the CD but I always thought the CD was a bit bass boomy, on the LP it is still plentiful and very present but nicely balanced. Mids and highs are excellent. Jon's vocals and Steve's guitar work shine. I am very impressed and still have side three to go.....there's no doubt it's more pleasant to listen to than the CD. When yours arrives@JukKluk2 .....enjoy! :thumb:                              Post edit: :P Spoke too soon! Side 3 had a couple of pressing issues, a light crackle here and there and a light cyclic 'bump' that I heard at the quiet ending of the first song and the subsequent break between the two tracks but nothing too alarming....and the music still sounded great!:)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 12:22 PM, stevoz said:

A few recent purchases on Ebay, firstly some serious 'ear candy' (Dutch 1st pressing):Slave_to_the_Rhythm.png.3ea3c6a3a60c66f4a0a6eda66210d5e9.png                                                .......then this (2013 German vinyl release, new):Yes_-_Magnification.jpg.230daa352842123f444672bd2fbe6161.jpg                                                                               ........and this (2010 re-release German double vinyl with bonus tracks on extra LP, NM):59a0db278750d_BandontheRun.jpg.e7e26b2cd1194a269ef1521f5e895d6a.jpg             Now on their way to my turntable!:P      

Steve, I was there! She's still got it! more clips on youtube.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2017 at 2:59 PM, TerryO said:

Just got this in the mail today, we actually have the CD which is one of my favourites, so decided to get the record to find out how it compares sq wise.

Better? ... Yes it is, but in this case not hugely. 

Still it is a great album and rapt to now have it in vinyl.

cheers Terry

image.jpeg

Interesting, as I bought the lp recently and thought may be I'am the only one who's got this.

Not a big fan of the album, just like one song Amalia. We named our daughter after wife and I heard it  hence the purchase :)

I do like My one and only thrill and Woresomheart.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Steve, I was there! She's still got it! more clips on youtube.

At 69 she certainly has still got it! I also checked out the 'Slave To The Rhythm' clip from the same show.....over 9 minutes and she's hoola hooping for the entire song! Amazing stuff!

Among my circle of audiophile buddies, whom are also contactless cleaning and drying practitioners, there is speculation going on - why different water can make your records sound different - that perhaps it is the amount of oxygen in the water that makes the difference.

Tried this brand of oxygenated water a few weeks back. 

FB_IMG_1505529529440.jpg

Results were surprisingly good.

Doesn't make your records sound dead and lifeless like most distilled water....

Edited by jeromelang

44 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

Among my circle of audiophile buddies, whom are also contactless cleaning and drying practitioners, there is speculation going on - why different water can make your records sound different - that perhaps it is the amount of oxygen in the water that makes the difference.

FB_IMG_1505529529440.jpg

You are for real ?

2 hours ago, jeromelang said:

FB_IMG_1505529529440.jpg

How does it work? Do you just pour it into your ears?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeromelang said:

Bought a $10 copy. Comparing it with the mofi. 

WTF!!!??!!

The $10 copy sounds better!!?!!

20170917_092020.jpg

20170917_091851.jpg

More detailed, more life, more energy.

I had no idea what you are playing records on... A quick google search... 

Edison Laser Player... Wow. 

• Like 1

Guest Doppler Effect
On 28/08/2017 at 6:03 PM, Luc said:

I'll second that. Karri speakers burst onto the scene but I've heard little of them since then(12-18 months ago?)

On 28/08/2017 at 6:07 PM, rantan said:

The last news I heard was that they were feeling the pinch of slow sales and were "taking water", although I do hope this is not correct.

Hi guys,

I can't speak for the rumour mill, but we're firmly planted!  

Sales are slow slow across the board in Aus over the last two years, but this has been perfect for us.  I've been able to dedicate a lot more time to the design bench and developing our next models.

What we're going to release next is something special, and that's going to be immediately apparent.  But the design aspects required more of a step-change in form than I had originally been accepting of.  

I love the craftsmanship and showcasing of Australian woods that we were able to bring to the market with our launch range.  The aesthetic was evocative and bold, and the owners of those products know that they are musically compelling, bringing the listener into the event in a very intimate way.  Wonderful speakers worthy of passion.  

For our next series I wanted to not just refine existing technology, but offer a step change.  It'll be a big step.  But to do it we needed to have the freedom of a blank slate.  To use different manufacturing processes, different materials, and the access to advancements that those make available.  

This is has been an immersive process, with tremendous investments in time (and money).  If you haven't heard from me then it's not been through lack of passion, but rather due to it.  And if you love the design of our first series, get in contact now - you might find that we can make something more financially achievable than you thought.  If you're wondering if much more can be done in loudspeaker performance, stay tuned for early 2018.

Troy Hughes

Edited by Doppler Effect

To Top