frankn

PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player 2016

WhakPak   

PS Audio are developing their own music server. I'm guessing it will have a disc importing capability. If it can send CD and SACD data to a DirectStream DAC in the same way that the DirectStream Memory Player does, within the confines of a proprietary PS Audio ecosystem, then that would be the route I wish to pursue.

If my DSJ sells before then, well, I'll just have to buy another one (assuming it will be required for a secret handshake with the PS Audio Octave music server).

Edited by WhakPak

frankn   
4 hours ago, Jumbuck said:

The DSJ is still an OK DAC to stream to though.

This is getting slightly off-topic (along with WhakPak's discussion of his sale of his products)  :  Another very good review on the DSJ  -  http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ps-audio-directstream-jr-digital-to-analogue-converter/

Summary

At £3,700 (with an included 1 year Roon trial subscription included) this is not an inexpensive piece of kit. However, the few units I have heard that can reach the analogue heights achieved by the DSJ have been either its bigger DirectStream brother or a handful of other products all coming in at several times the price. Nothing I have heard at this price point thus far has had the word ‘Analogue’ floating in my ears from the start of listening. Enthusiastically recommended.

frankn   
3 hours ago, WhakPak said:

PS Audio are developing their own music server. I'm guessing it will have a disc importing capability. If it can send CD and SACD data to a DirectStream DAC in the same way that the DirectStream Memory Player does, within the confines of a proprietary PS Audio ecosystem, then that would be the route I wish to pursue.

If my DSJ sells before then, well, I'll just have to buy another one (assuming it will be required for a secret handshake with the PS Audio Octave music server).

Further off topic - but from the PS Audio forum - Paul's post:

Octave, just to be clear, is the name of the music management software that will control a number of future PS devices and people’s music libraries. The first server to incorporate Octave will be our top of the line and yes, it will include a ripping engine. It’ll be completely automatic. One can sit and stuff discs in while watching TV and drinking beer and Octave does the rest for you.

Big goal - lets hope they can make it a reality within a reasonable timeline and within reasonable cost.  Wait and see. 

mtf   
1 hour ago, frankn said:

Big goal - lets hope they can make it a reality within a reasonable timeline and within reasonable cost.  Wait and see. 

I wish the phono would hurry up too!

Oops I digress :unsure:

WhakPak   

..they also have new speakers stewing in the PS Audio skunk works. Makes me wonder if it will ever end.

I'm listening to my DMP tonight, it's a tough call giving up on something that sounds so good. I'm considering work-around solutions, particularly whether it is possible to rip a perfect copy of my favorite songs from a number of different CD on to a DVD. This will significantly reduce the flux density of CD case mines in the CD case minefield in front of my DMP.

frankn   
On 08/02/2017 at 5:48 PM, mtf said:

I wish the phono would hurry up too!

Oops I digress :unsure:

Just purchase one of Duc's Reference phono stages and be done. ;)

mtf   
7 hours ago, frankn said:

Just purchase one of Duc's Reference phono stages and be done. ;)

I shall have a look thanks Frank.

I would like to have the BHK trio though.

I went and visited an audio buddy yesterday to have a good listen to his new PS Audio chain.  He has the power conditioner, DMP, whatever the matching DAC and an amp the same physical size as one of your units Frank.

It's all just 3 weeks old!

...Very, very nice!!!

It seems there is some glitch though that needs to be sorted re the DSD/ SACD playback that still isn't happening.  My friend said that the man from Magenta was heading east to VIC soon for another matter and, that while he was in town he would personally come and sort this.  Pretty good customer service there.  I didn't realise that 'hifi' and 'customer service' could actually be used in the same breath for the last two decades.

So how good is it going to sound when DSD is happening?  Looks like I will need to head down the Coast again to find out for myself after this glitch is rectified.

WhakPak   

If the DMP is connected to the DS DAC using the HDMI cable that came with the DMP, there should be no issue with SACD playback. If the DS DAC is detecting PCM for SACD playback here is probably an issue with the HDMI cable, or the I2S jack on either the DMP or DS. Another thing to check is that the SACD mode on the DMP is set to stereo SACD and not redbook CD. Another thing to check, make sure only the HDMI cable connects the DMP to the DS DAC just in-case the DAC is locking on to the DMP via another input.

If all these things check out OK then re-flashing the software might fix the problem. If the owner has trouble re-flashing the firmware contact me via PM and I can email him a force version of the firmware that should work. Or, just wait for Magenta to deal with it.

p.s. remind the system owner to check that the video engine of the DMP is turned off (not that this will be causing the problem).

Edited by WhakPak

frankn   
2 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

I went and visited an audio buddy yesterday to have a good listen to his new PS Audio chain.  He has the power conditioner, DMP, whatever the matching DAC and an amp the same physical size as one of your units Frank.

It's all just 3 weeks old!

...Very, very nice!!!

It seems there is some glitch though that needs to be sorted re the DSD/ SACD playback that still isn't happening.  My friend said that the man from Magenta was heading east to VIC soon for another matter and, that while he was in town he would personally come and sort this.  Pretty good customer service there.  I didn't realise that 'hifi' and 'customer service' could actually be used in the same breath for the last two decades.

So how good is it going to sound when DSD is happening?  Looks like I will need to head down the Coast again to find out for myself after this glitch is rectified.

Hi Red,

whackpak's comments are right on the money - he should know since he also owns the same. 

Does your friends unit play cd's ok and the cd layer of an SACD but not the SACD layer?  As long as DMP default is set to play SACD and the DMP is connected via the supplied PS Audio HDMI cable it should work. If it isn't playing SACD layer does your friend have another HDMI cable to try?  I'd use a cheapie to check. Also as Whackpak said make sure video is off in the DMP. 

WhakPak   

...if none of these suggested fixes work I'd be most surprised, and if so, there is nothing else that Magenta could try other than swap out the DMP for another one.

Did you notice what resolution the DS was reporting when the DMP was playing SACD, was it 88.2/24? If the DMP detects an I2S connection to DS DAC (whether or not that input is selected on the DS), all of the other digital outputs of the DMP will be disabled for SACD playback. So if the DS DAC is showing 88.2/24 for SACD playback and the HDMI cable is connected, is a good indicator that the DMP is not seeing the I2S connection to the DS DAC.

Edited by WhakPak

Anthony1   

WhakPak, appreciate all your posts on the PS gear.

Luckily I don't mind in the least getting out of my chair to change a CD, being half as often compared to a record.

The mentioned pricing of $8k for the CD spinner and another $8k for the super DAC is testing the Australian market for sure, and have come in a bit higher than expected.

So we need quite a few interest rate rises to get the desirability of the Aust dollar up again to achieve USA parity like just a few years ago. Then hopefully the price might drop by 25% and I'll jump into spending action.

Meanwhile my McIntosh SACD 500 still sounds fine.

frankn   

Buy 2nd hand. Always a good option. 

Always a good option?  Absolutely, I just must have patience...., and then dive in!

WhakPak   
52 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

Always a good option?  Absolutely, I just must have patience...., and then dive in!

what's holding you back, check the for sale listings.

WhakPak   
3 hours ago, Anthony1 said:

...The mentioned pricing of $8k for the CD spinner and another $8k for the super DAC is testing the Australian market for sure, and have come in a bit higher than expected...

The PS Audio prices are about parity for the US and Australian markets. It might come as a surprise but the RRP of the Directstream Junior DAC is cheaper in Australia ($4,695 AUD) than the US ($3,999 USD).

31 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

what's holding you back, check the for sale listings.

I heard the new DMP last Sat. - that's the one I want!  And you need the matching DAC too.

I will wait, I can start saving now...

WhakPak   
2 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

I heard the new DMP last Sat. - that's the one I want!  And you need the matching DAC too.

It does sound good, no doubt. I've been listening to Adele all day on DMP, after going to the concert in Perth last night.

frankn   

Currently listening to Dave's True Story on mine - beautiful vocals, amazing depth, soundstage, realism - a listening pleasure. 

DTS?  Frank - your DMP deserves to play better than that sanitised material.

I know you have real music in your cave, I have seen it, heard it.  Get that happening.