PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player 2016

I only heard PWT once, and that was a 2 minute demo in a store in Singapore. And it was connected to PWD which is so blah. I think there has been some consensus over on the PS Audio forums from PWT owners that the DMP is considerably better. I have tinkered with the different connection methods to the DAC, for CD playback there is no difference in sound quality whatever connection method you choose.

What is of interest to me is how good the DMP is against an Accuphase or Vitus or Soulution or Esoteric or whatever else that costs twice as much, or more. I think PS Audio have done a good job with DMP at this price point...the plastic disc tray is so 1986, the plastic feet are an after-thought, so I can see where they've saved money over those other more expensive brands. Still, $8k is a fair bit of coin to drop on a machine to play a CD.

Anybody out there care to loan me a Vitus MP-T201 or Accuphase DP-560 or Soulution 746 or Esoteric P-02??

Edited by WhakPak

Looks like there is an incorrect default setting on shipped DMP units. I haven't checked mine but will do so when I can. This was posted on the PS Audio forum

Paul McGowan:
Shoot! Looks like all the DMPs have gone out with the wrong default. We need to let everyone know to reset it to Enabled.
Rats!angry_gif

Paul McGowan:
The should be left enabled. It turns on/off the Oppo video engine. Sounds worse when disabled – meaning the video engine is engaged.

DennisD:
I stumbled across a screen titled “Debug” while checking the setup of my DMP. It can be accessed by entering the “Setup” screen and then touching the lower right corner. There is one configurable setting on this screen titled “Pure Audio” located in the lower right corner which when touched can be toggled between “enabled” or “disabled”. There is no documentation for this in the manual. My DMP was set to “disabled” when I first discovered it which I switched to “enabled”. Any information on exactly what this setting does would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It dawned on me quite quickly that a CD spinner was not for me. I have a minefield of CD cases scattered all over the floor I need to prod through to get to the player. Whilst it sounds very good, it doesn't win over the convenience of iPad control of my whole CD collection from the server whilst all the time remaining comfortably seated in my chair. No further need for the minefield clearing team, the CD's can all go back into storage.

Edited by WhakPak

9 hours ago, WhakPak said:

It dawned on me quite quickly that a CD spinner was not for me. I have a minefield of CD cases scattered all over the floor I need to prod through to get to the player. Whilst it sounds very good, it doesn't win over the convenience of iPad control of my whole CD collection from the server whilst all the time remaining comfortably seated in my chair. No further need for the minefield clearing team, the CD's can all go back into storage.

This I understand, the majority of my music is also selected via the iPad 

49 minutes ago, Jumbuck said:

The DSJ is still an OK DAC to stream to though.

Sure. I stream Spotify through it and it sounds great. But the big selling point of DSJ is the secret handshake it does with DMP for SACD playback, which is the only reason I bought it.

1 minute ago, Raffinator said:

So just for clarification - both Junior and "Senior" DirectStream will connect with the memory player with SACD over HDMI?

Yes, but it's not HDMI. The communications interface with secret handshake for raw SACD is I2S which uses a HDMI cable. The interface is not HDMI.

• Like 1

I haven't yet compared playing DSD file from a ripped SACD (via PS3) with directly playing the DSD layer from the same disk - I should do that as I'm sure I have some of the DSD files on my laptop / JRiver set-up.

The computer audio files have to go via USB but I have a very good USB cable for connecting to the DSD Snr.

But I'm also lazy so don't expect reporting too soon ...... and it is hot in SA atm, +40C