frankn

PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player 2016

70 posts in this topic

If I recall, there was some discussion amongst others elsewhere when it came to naming this device late in the design stage. Various names were offered, and there was a reason why they didn't name it DST. Actually, it was called DST until late in the process, then eventually the boss decreed it would be called DMP. Captains pick I think. I don't have an issue with it, the name makes sense to me.

Please support our sponsors by clicking on their banners:

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

It's either a player ( as in the ability to play stand alone ).......or it isn't

As it stands it is a finessed  transport

But it is still playing the CD, whether the output is analog or digital only. Anyway, in the evolving lexicon of this hobby, and as I mentioned earlier, it's a memory player, and it just happens to require an external DAC.

2 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

But it is still playing the CD, whether the output is analog or digital only. Anyway, in the evolving lexicon of this hobby, and as I mentioned earlier, it's a memory player, and it just happens to require an external DAC.

Fair enough, but it is still a transport and should be named as such. The lexicon in its entirety is always evolving but one would hope it was a positive change and not an obfuscation which is actually misleading

13 hours ago, frankn said:

My experience so far is a unit with less than 10hrs playtime so I expect the results to further improve in the coming weeks. Later on it will also be interesting to compare to my vinyl setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be good to know your thoughts Frank. Just don't mention burn-in and all will be harmonious:P:)

Edited by rantan
1 person likes this

@rantan you are welcome to come over and listen yourself 

1 person likes this

@frankn

I might just do that sometime soon

I will PM you next week about a time/day:thumb:

25 minutes ago, rantan said:

Fair enough, but it is still a transport and should be named as such...

Without giving too much away, I might have been one of the participants in the naming process, DMP might not have been my choice, DST might not have been my choice either, but I do like what they ended up with. Think of it in the context of the evolving lexicon, Transport + Digital Lens = Memory Player (external DAC required).

No hint of obfuscation with the name at all.

Edited by WhakPak

19 minutes ago, rantan said:

...Just don't mention burn-in and all will be harmonious:P:)

Another addition to the evolving lexicon, let's just call it "initial performance stabilization process" :P

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

Another addition to the evolving lexicon, let's just call it "initial performance stabilization process" :P

Yep. I can live with that too :)

psst. I am still a believer in burn in but keep it to yourself

OK, here you all go. I've succumbed to group pressure and un-boxed the DMP. Not only unboxed it, installed it as well.

Here it is, sitting on its DSJ sibling. If you're wondering what DSJ is sitting on, they are Magico Qpods.

A number of quirky issues came to light with DMP within the first minute, but it is playing, and without wishing to raise the ire of the break-in unbelievers, it is now a full 2 minutes into its "initial performance stabilization process".

Included with the DMP is the new re-badged PS Audio 12S cable, which is reported to be better than their uber-expensive AC-12 12S cable. So that is something I can also test for myself as I have a full set of AC-12 in my installation here.

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

3 people like this

Apparently if you pull all the capacitors out and shake the **** out of them it will sound better.  :thumb: 

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

Apparently if you pull all the capacitors out and shake the **** out of them it will sound better.  :thumb: 

I heard that doing that affects the warranty, so it will need to wait for 3 years before I try it :P

@WhakPak I see you also received a copy of the PS Audio One - Sonoma CD.  Have to let us know how that sounds as I've been looking for a copy of that CD.

How very observant of you...yes, I have it, there are 2 discs in the set, and it's a worthwhile demo disc to add to your collection.

It is also available as a digital download (PCM 176K high resolution and DSD), which I guess you can burn to your own disc or write it to a memory stick and plug it into the front of the DMP.

Edited by WhakPak
2 people like this

It's taking a bit of getting used to, to get out of the chair and loading CD in a CD player again. I think the last time I did that was about 1999 (Denon DVD-5000), and I still have those CD! I am now able to listen to native SACD for the first time. Sure the DirectStream Memory Player sounds OK out of the box, but it's hard to pick it over playing directly from my music server to the DAC. Put it this way. I enjoy listening to the DMP about as much as I enjoy listening to the same CD via the music server, but the convenience of one over the other there is no comparison.

It is too early to make a definitive assessment of DMP, other than it does sound promising. My reference system has a better DAC and cables and other things, so it's not fair to make a relative assessment between what I am used to and what is new. For 2 reasons. Break-in of new audio components is a real phenomena, they usually need many hours on the clock to start sounding their best. And secondly, as many variables need to be removed from the equation to make a fair assessment of the constant. This will mean using the same cables and DAC and other things so that the only 2 variables are the DMP as the source, or my music server as the source. To get to this point burn-in needs to be completed first. And then there is a 3rd reason. Software. DMP runs on complex software, and believe it or not, changes in software can change the sound. I learned that from experience with the DirectStream DAC. I had it for a year and it didn't thrill me so I sold it. Then they did a software update that improved the sound dramatically. So this is another reason to delay any definitive assessment, they say the next DMP software will be out in the first 3/12 this year. Which in reality might be 2 or 3 months away.

Getting back to burn-in, I can't say that I am hearing any change to the DMP sonic characteristics during the first few hours thus far. My attention is distracted somewhat by a new product that comes with it a new learning curve. Music servers provide the instantaneous. Memory players are always working in the past. The loss of instantaneous (i.e. machine start up time, disc load time, find the track you want time, all takes time), takes a bit of getting used to and thus is distracting from the task of listening. I feel like I am in a time warp going back in time, putting discs in players. That time warp also takes me back to the era of cassette tape players, and how my first CD player in 1986 seemed so wonderfully instantaneous compared to tape. So the evolution has taken an about face somewhat from music servers back to the humble CD player. Although this CD player, all $8000+ of it, is probably past any reasonable description as humble.

It is an interesting journey, for me anyway. Stay tuned, if you're interested.

Edited by WhakPak
3 people like this

PS Audio says the next software update for DMP will be released in 2 weeks.

Just to elaborate on my purpose with this DMP. I'm evaluating whether it brings something to the party, in sound quality, and enjoyment of music, and functionality, compared to what I am used to. Once I have come to conclusions on those aspects there will be a decision whether to keep it or not.

So far these updates have been for bugs with no noticeable difference in SQ from what I have read.

Yes. The guys working on the software are Linux OS system programmers, so these are to fix buggy operational issues. The extent to which any software in the DMP is related to sound quality, I'm not sure. Certainly with the DAC software there is a Linux OS programmer who works on the software that controls the thing, and there is an FPGA programmer who's code does have a significant bearing on the sound quality (partly because jitter affects sound quality and the FPGA is a source of jitter that can change with the software code).

The PWT has had very few upgrades unfortunately, it still could certainly run a lot smoother.

Looking forward to hearing the differences between the two myself.