:) al

Why I WILL keep buying Apple

@Sime

HDD vs SSD

the SSD sets the benchmark, the 1st sample shows how behind the HDD due to mechanical spinning parts.

Edited:  I first saw at hand what SSD and more RAM did on a MacBook Pro when they first introduced there current styling MacBooks.  He was one of the 1st to have a i7  512 SSD 8g RAM.  Even for MS office there was no waiting for a response , instant after a click on the mouse.   Infact some of the benchmark test showed it wiped the floor of some high performance desktop.  In Australian PC I saw a MacBook Air that had i5 with SSD and it wiped the floor of a Lenovo i7 with a mechanical HDD, no match!  Anything with an SSD will run so much quicker.

Edited by Addicted to music

Sime   

@Addicted to music exactly, after seeing what one did to my old MacBook, I'm thinking of booting the new iMac off of an external SSD, just have to find an enclosure for a 2.5 SSD to run it from thunderbolt 3. 

Edited by Sime

There are limitations to SSD.  

1: life, they have a limited write cycle

2: after 512 the power requirement increases and can be worst than a HDD.  Won't worry a desktop application but will impact on a laptop, hence the reason a MacBook Pro is still limited to 512 GB SSD for standard over the counter sales.

3 still expensive

as long as you are aware of these limitations.

blybo   
4 hours ago, Sime said:

@Addicted to music exactly, after seeing what one did to my old MacBook, I'm thinking of booting the new iMac off of an external SSD, just have to find an enclosure for a 2.5 SSD to run it from thunderbolt 3. 

I'd assume you have the hybrid drive in your iMac already which boots from a small SSD and uses a HDD for storage

EDIT: I see its only the top spec 21.5 that has a fusion drive.

Edited by blybo

Sime   
1 hour ago, blybo said:

I'd assume you have the hybrid drive in your iMac already which boots from a small SSD and uses a HDD for storage

I have the top spec 21.5 with the fusion drive, but even so, when I was doing file transfers on it, the external ssd was still quicker compared to it. The fusion drive only has a 28gig ssd, so only really good for the OS. 

I'll buy an ssd just for shits and giggles to see how it goes, and use carbon copy clone to copy the main drive. 

blybo   
1 hour ago, Sime said:

I have the top spec 21.5 with the fusion drive, but even so, when I was doing file transfers on it, the external ssd was still quicker compared to it. The fusion drive only has a 28gig ssd, so only really good for the OS. 

I'll buy an ssd just for shits and giggles to see how it goes, and use carbon copy clone to copy the main drive. 

No doubt it will be faster. My Macbook is completely SSD and super fast but small storage capacity, not that I need much on it. It's basically only used when I need to remote into my office server, for everything else I find my iPad Pro does what I need. That said, a copy of my music library and parts of my dropbox copied to it is getting close to maxing out the Macbook. I only keep a downscaled version of my music on the iPad.

Edited by blybo

3 hours ago, blybo said:

Not assuming.  You'll find that the MacBook Pro has had full 512GB SSD as standard from 2011-13 

blybo   

Not assuming.  You'll find that the MacBook Pro has had full 512GB SSD as standard from 2011-13 

That's lovely but not an iMac 21.5 is it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noum   

Oops! Mistake.....I stated a i5 3700k CPU in a post, was actually an i5 7600k (7th gen base frequency 3.8GHz unlocked)

A 3700k if it existed would be 3rd gen. Edit2: and I said Corsair Hyperx ram when It's "Kingston Hyperx Fury" *Doh!*

Edited by Noum

Sime   

Seriously, that 5k imac monitor is insane :party

Noum   

Not surprised, Apple do use nice screens/panels.

Must look very nice :thumb:

55 minutes ago, Sime said:

Seriously, that 5k imac monitor is insane :party

Yeah, everybody raves about the pics, games and movies. Honestly though, it's real advantage is text--it's like reading off a lithographed page.

Greg

Edited by GregWormald
spelling

Sime   
2 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Yeah, everybody raves about the pics, games and movies. Honestly though, it's real advantage is text--it's like reading off a lithographed page.

Greg

My RAW pics from my old 7D look better than ever before, wish I still had it :emot-bang:

Sime   

Ordered the new ram from Mac Sales in the US on Sunday night, arrived by UPS today, pretty good. 

blybo   
11 minutes ago, Sime said:

Ordered the new ram from Mac Sales in the US on Sunday night, arrived by UPS today, pretty good. 

So updating takes all of 2 minutes, what is the result?

Sime   
53 minutes ago, blybo said:

So updating takes all of 2 minutes, what is the result?

peace of mind :party