Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

I have been following this thread and thinking about trying a PI. But the above comment is a deal breaker for me.

No Album Artist search? Really?

I would of thought this would be part of any UI?

Perhaps the following may sway you to the Pi side?

I have a LMS server running on a PC with a Raspberry Pi and HiFiBerry DAC Pro running PiCorePlayer 3.21 Audio and when I select the LMS using the PiCorePlayer menu (grey background LMS)

PiCorePlayer_1.jpg.3edfd5580da71bb1eadd1558d512fa7c.jpg

I can search artists using the LMS search function, the magnifying glass,

LMS_1.jpg.1dffcd3ca7dcb3bc8288c7e5371fba1f.jpg

OR

Try using the Android app Squeezer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.org.ngo.squeezer which controls LMS and does searches again using the magnifying glass.

Screenshot_20170827-211406.jpg.6bfb0c8d31abee13d5bd93d9e684cc20.jpg

10 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I'm about to purchase MoOde for $10. Is it really worth it. Better than Rune and Volumio???

Sound wise, i think its better than Volumio, but simply because its a much more mature product over Volumio - hence the pay per use model offered by Tim for MoOde.  The hardware support is quick plus there is a DSP option as well if you need it.  I think Volumio is heading this way, but I cant be sure as Volumio uses an older kernel and support for the Digione is via a special distribution of Volumio.  Somehow Allo forgot to burn this onto thier SD cards when someone buys a Digione direct.  Just check out the hardware support to be sure it meets your requirement.

So to answer your question, is it worth $10 US?  I think it is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeddie said:

I have been following this thread and thinking about trying a PI. But the above comment is a deal breaker for me.

No Album Artist search? Really?

I would of thought this would be part of any UI?

There is a search function, but the list function lists artists by track artist. Therefore if you have a lot of compilation albums, it gets a bit tedious. I don't know if this has been addressed in the paid version, I'm still using the version prior to that. And as @soundbyte said, some smartphone/tablet apps will allow you to list by album artists only. I just find it annoying that you can't do it using the built in web page via a browser. Which is more convenient when I'm on the computer for other reasons already.

Edit: I just had a quick look, and the difference is even bigger than I first mentioned.

All Artists who appear on all Albums - 4,168

Artists on Album Artists only - 1,090

Edited by bob_m_54

"Ya spends ya money and ya gets ya ride". Moode may be my God send. I'll expand on this update a little later but Moode plays DSD64 on my HDMI audio extractor. Rune wouldn't. Volumio did but doesn't display info. I require. Moode may cover cover both camps. 

Does it do other things I realy want (you know what I want what I really really want). I'll come back with a better report but things are looking good. So far for $10 I'm happy.

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

Looks like Moode may be a winner. Watching Survivor at the mo so a little distracted. Forget the phone but on the iPad; queue on the left and numbered the album cover on the right with rez. and other info. This could be a winner on the HDMI based Pi system.  

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 2

Geez, I been telling you to try MoOde since last year LOL. Keen to hear what you think of it. I may even spring for the newer paid version myself.

On a sidenote, I spent the afternoon listening to music streamed from my network HDD to XBMC4xbox (newer kodi like version of XBMC) on one of my old original xboxes, up in my shed. Still can't get over how good it still sounds (and has sounded since about 2007) for an otherwise redundant piece of electronics. The downside is, I have also wasted so much time re-playing all the games loaded on the HDD. :offtopic:LOL

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot to add, XBMX4xbox allows you to only list by "Album Artist" too... :-)

Edited by bob_m_54
more info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

Geez, I been telling you to try MoOde since last year LOL. Keen to hear what you think of it. I may even spring for the newer paid version myself.

On a sidenote, I spent the afternoon listening to music streamed from my network HDD to XBMC4xbox (newer kodi like version of XBMC) on one of my old original xboxes, up in my shed. Still can't get over how good it still sounds (and has sounded since about 2007) for an otherwise redundant piece of electronics. The downside is, I have also wasted so much time re-playing all the games loaded on the HDD. :offtopic:LOL

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot to add, XBMX4xbox allows you to only list by "Album Artist" too... :-)

I think it all got lost in translation but I get the gist.

I was happy with Rune and annoyed wth Vol. didn't give what I wanted and the hesitation on my HDMI audio striper setup.

I was traumatised by the three week experience of getting anything going and scared to move from what I knew.

As a  five year old child I would dismantle mechanical alarm clocks Because I could. I have managed massive computer networks in my working life for twenty five years. Still have the urge.

Moode is but another challenge but it must give me what I want or I go back to what I'm familiar with. In earlier posts one member thought it had superior sound quality. Not sure I can pick it. It must support my hardware, that is number one.

I am now completely on MoOde. It absolutely is the ducks nuts. It drives my HDMI audio striper to DSD64 and my DIY XMOS, AK4495 DAC also with DSD64 files. See what happens when it cost $10 and not free, it's better. 

An I provement in sound quality? You bet. I believe a 20% improvement in sound quality right across the board but particularly in bass. Mid-range, also improvements. 

It is just a far, far better product, mature, feature rich and with a stunning presentation. It has all I want and far more than I could ever ask for. Love it.

• Like 4

I really don't care how the stacks are listed. I play whole albums and always know what I'm going to listen to before sitting down. 

I have seen the detailed way albums, genre etc. are listed. It looks detailed and extesive but I can't comment. Over the next few days I may take a closer look. But for me it is more the music more than how it is presented and categorised. 

• Like 1

Does Moode do Spotify? That is a must for me.

Clay, you could reconsider your DAC via USB to the Pi into one enclosure. Sure, USB inside the box may look a bit funny, but you won't spend ages re-tweaking the I2S interface. As an added plus, you 'd still have coax and toslink at the flick of a switch. Basically, just take out the DAC from the box, and put it inside a bigger one!

My 2c.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

Hi Alberto,

I have actually already designed & ordered the boards for the Pi + DAC. This first one is really just a test bed so it is very basic.

It will use a normal Klein DAC case  and has just the Pi as a single input. There is a nice beefy low noise internal 5v supply just to

power the Kali/Pi combo. The Kali will feed directly into the AK4495EQ based DAC which is using a simple transformer output stage 

offering balanced XLR or single ended output. I could probably sell the DAC on its own for DIY types who already have Pi's.

Cost should be quite reasonable as it is a fairly basic build compared to my other designs. 

I should have one up & running in a couple of weeks so I will start a seperate thread when that happens. 

If it works out well I will certainly look at offering the Pi (or other SBC's) as an option on my other products.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Conch said:

I will have to give moode a try myself, I'm interested to try out Clay's new AKM dac board in the pipeline too!

hey Houston, have you tried jriver linux on your Pi?

cheers 

Liam

No I haven't but probably not. Very happy now.

17 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I am now completely on MoOde. It absolutely is the ducks nuts. It drives my HDMI audio striper to DSD64 and my DIY XMOS, AK4495 DAC also with DSD64 files. See what happens when it cost $10 and not free, it's better. 

An I provement in sound quality? You bet. I believe a 20% improvement in sound quality right across the board but particularly in bass. Mid-range, also improvements. 

It is just a far, far better product, mature, feature rich and with a stunning presentation. It has all I want and far more than I could ever ask for. Love it.

For $10 and an SD card I might give it a burl.. my very simple "old school unix"  Raspbian/mpd  setup has been great for years now, but curious to see how much the software can improve things.

Does this run OK on  an older R-Pi?  (mine is the model B 512M RAM one)

13 hours ago, Conch said:

I will have to give moode a try myself, I'm interested to try out Clay's new AKM dac board in the pipeline too!

hey Houston, have you tried jriver linux on your Pi?

cheers 

Liam

Liam, got one all set to go here if you want to give it a try.

1 hour ago, Conch said:

Thanks Dave, do you mean clay's new dac or a raspberry pi?

I have a pi3 with raspbian and jriver setup but havent really had time to try it out yet.

I thought you were looking to try Moode & Pi..

On 8/29/2017 at 7:01 PM, mwhouston said:

Fits in with my findings too about MoOde.  Best $13 i have spent of late. 

Just started working through the radio stations. Found one good one so far. And nicely displays bit rate which Vol. never did. 

Also transfering files across the network to the Pi seems to work here. Never worked with Vol. or Rune. From laptop to my drive on the Pi. 

But wait there is more. Via my wifi I copied a file form the USB hard drive connected to the Pi to the microSD with the Moode image. I did this while it was playing a high rez file. It never missed a beat and the now microSD based file played.

So here's a thought, use a 128GB microSD card, write the Moode image on it and use the other 120GB as storage. Of course you can use a bigger card but they start to get expensive. What do ya recon? 

• Like 1

I've been following the discussion regarding differences between Volumio and MoOde with interest......

I have Volumio installed on my Pi3, however I've found that using the apple remote app on either the iphone or iPad as the controller is most convenient, streaming through either Volumio (Pi3 +AK4495 Dac) or Apple TV (with Cambridge Audio Dac)

Would there be any benefit in using MoOde?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill206 said:

I've been following the discussion regarding differences between Volumio and MoOde with interest......

I have Volumio installed on my Pi3, however I've found that using the apple remote app on either the iphone or iPad as the controller is most convenient, streaming through either Volumio (Pi3 +AK4495 Dac) or Apple TV (with Cambridge Audio Dac)

Would there be any benefit in using MoOde?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By a second microSD, load Moode and see for yourself. It supports my AK4495 DAC and sounds way better than the other two.

• Like 2

By a second microSD, load Moode and see for yourself. It supports my AK4495 DAC and sounds way better than the other two.

Having some difficulty getting Moode player to work. Can't see the AK 4495 Dac displayed in the listing. Does it have another name?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill206 said:

Having some difficulty getting Moode player to work. Can't see the AK 4495 Dac displayed in the listing. Does it have another name?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go to configure - audio. Leave the top selections with none. Come down to MPD edit and select edit. The first selection is Audio output, select USB Audio Device.

Then Apply. Reboot.