Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

You must use an image writer to write the image to the SD card. Have you done that? You just can't dump the image file to the card. 

Before this you must use an SD card formater to format the SD card (8GB) and select from Options - delete.

This whole process is dead simple BUT every process must be done exactly right.

Thanks.....yes I did eventually get the disk image of Volumio onto the SD card, and then followed your instructions, getting the IP address of the Pi and then logging onto the Pi and joining the network via both Ethernet and wireless. Have found my music on the network server and it has al come up on Volumio[emoji106][emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill206 said:

The Pi is a Pi 3 Model B...... still waiting for the DAC card to arrive, so unable to get any output yet.

From Jaycar you can get a HDMI audio striper. Does up to 24/192. Built solid and connects to the Pi HDMI port. Purchase a super short HDMI cable there too. Direct the MPD to HDMI. You do not need an external PS the Pi HDMI port powers the stripper. Cheap, good sounding and simple.

Good to hear you. Got it going.

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

From Jaycar you can get a HDMI audio striper. Does up to 24/192. Built solid and connects to the Pi HDMI port. Purchase a super short HDMI cable there too. Direct the MPD to HDMI. You do not need an external PS the Pi HDMI port powers the stripper. Cheap, good sounding and simple.

Good to hear you. Got it going.

Is it possible to get sound out just by using the HDMI cable direct to an amplifier? I've tried this and don't get any sound....but do get command language on the TV monitor.

• Like 1

Is it possible to get sound out just by using the HDMI cable direct to an amplifier? I've tried this and don't get any sound....but do get command language on the TV monitor.

Follow-up..... now getting sound out of the headphone output and into my amp....woohoo[emoji16] ....can't wait eca8814dbe85fe99b05f8af747a95121.jpgfor the external DAC to arrive to test out the sound quality.

2 hours ago, Bill206 said:

To get the sound from HDMI go to the MPD settings in Volumio in the menu and select HDMI out. It is always there. If you have an amp which has a HDMI input music should come out. Even a TV will play the music through thier Sh!!ty speakers. 

Also so the Jaycar HDMI audio striper has a HDMI pass through. 

• Like 1

I to have used a recharge battery pack. A real good way to go for an absolute pure sound. I get 4 hours of uninterrupted play from a charge. About the same size as yours. I have some ultra low noise linear regulators with which I'm going to make some 5V USB supplies. 

Once more Jaycar has double adapters with two 2A USB power outlets which I currently use. Not only that it has an inbuilt power filter and mains protection. Cheap and good. 

• Like 1

To get the sound from HDMI go to the MPD settings in Volumio in the menu and select HDMI out. It is always there. If you have an amp which has a HDMI input music should come out. Even a TV will play the music through thier Sh!!ty speakers. 

Also so the Jaycar HDMI audio striper has a HDMI pass through. 

I couldn't seem to get the HDMI audio output to work? I did select it in the Playback Options menu under the Audio Output sub menu. Is this the "MPD" settings that you are referring too? Can't find that reference in the Menu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
This is the same DAC brd I use. You only need two Jaycar trannies to make it go. That's it. This DAC will outperform any commercial DAC to about $10K and play upto DSD64 and every other format in any resolution know to man etc. All you do is plug a USB A to USB B cable into one of the Pi A USB ports then into the DAC brd. That's it. Have the DAC turn on, turn on the Pi, select the menu, select output devices and xCore..... Will appear, select and save and stunning music will be heard. 

The AK4495+XMOS DAC arrived today....no instructions....I notice there are three power inputs, 2x9V & 1x15V. Do all three need power?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill206 said:

The AK4495+XMOS DAC arrived today....no instructions....I notice there are three power inputs, 2x9V & 1x15V. Do all three need power?

Yes but you can do it with two Jaycar trannies. This is a stunning DAC. Strap your self in.

Yes but you can do it with two Jaycar trannies. This is a stunning DAC. Strap your self in.

Are you able to give me the details of the trannies you use...or a photo? Don't want to risk buying the wrong type and blow the dac up[emoji53]

fbf3f5a9db8100a9fa5a5367a1998eb3.jpg

Hi there, is this dac really that good? $10k equivalent.....
I'm really enjoying Rune with Hifiberry DAC, digi plus but I'm sure I can do better...

Still to read the full thread but it's easy enough connect to the pi?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, nzlowie said:

Hi there, is this dac really that good? $10k equivalent.....
I'm really enjoying Rune with Hifiberry DAC, digi plus but I'm sure I can do better...

Still to read the full thread but it's easy enough connect to the pi?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

It's a good dac but it's your run of the mill chinese DAC can't expect it to be $10k equivalent DAC. connecting to pi is just plugging the USB cable you will spend more time putting on transformer and putting it in a case. Was looking on getting this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Assembled-AK4495-SEQ-II2S-DAC-decoder-board-upgrade-version-32BIT-768K-/221765661333?hash=item33a2437295:g:O3YAAOSwBahVFSEP but doesn't look like AK4495 can work without MCK signal would be great to bypass USB.

2 hours ago, Bill206 said:

Ok, so I've got the parts....are you able to help me out with some advice on how to wire all this up?

Yes I can help. Connect mains to the input of the filter (two prong end) and conect earth to centre point on the three prong end. Connect primary of trannies to the two outer tags three prong end. 

Each 9V secondary of the tranni goes to the individual 9V AC inputs of the board, near diodes. The centre tap of the 15V tranni goes to centre of the 15V connections then the other tranni wire either side. 

Make sure the DAC is on before turning on Pi. The Pi under Rune will see the DAC calllled xCore... Or something like that. Thats it. Connect the DAC board RCAs to your amp or whatever and music comes out. You can play any file upto DSD64. 

The he chip sets on the board is used by many high end DACs. You will love the sound. 

Edited by mwhouston

Yes I can help. Connect mains to the input of the filter (two prong end) and conect earth to centre point on the three prong end. Connect primary of trannies to the two outer tags three prong end. 

Each 9V secondary of the tranni goes to the individual 9V AC inputs of the board, near diodes. The centre tap of the 15V tranni goes to centre of the 15V connections then the other tranni wire either side. 

Make sure the DAC is on before turning on Pi. The Pi under Rune will see the DAC calllled xCore... Or something like that. Thats it. Connect the DAC board RCAs to your amp or whatever and music comes out. You can play any file upto DSD64. 

The he chip sets on the board is used by many high end DACs. You will love the sound. 

I am a newbie at this, so please excuse my further questions....

33514389821ba700e54ec0b45a7738af.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that the blue wires from the trannies go to the outer two pins on the Filter?

I'm assuming the black, red, yellow ,orange wires on the trannies are what you are calling secondary's?

Don't know what you mean by the centre tap of the 15v tranni? Given there are 4 wires coming out of it and only three connections on the DAC board I assume one wire is not used?

I'll try drawing a warning diagram of my understanding so far...

Make sure you get the individual 9V secondaries properly worked out. Check with a meter and recheck colours with what is on the side of the tranni or in the catalogue.

Not sure what you mean?

Side of the trannie says...."RED-BLACK+YELLOW-ORG"