ISF Calibration Photos

I used to have one of those Datacolour ones on the far right, worked well enough, but God it was slow compared to my current Xrite i1Display pro,  doubt I would have the patience to use one again, especially when the need of repeated metering at the 10%-30% range.

• Like 1

I used to have one of those Datacolour ones on the far right, worked well enough, but God it was slow compared to my current Xrite i1Display pro,  doubt I would have the patience to use one again, especially when the need of repeated metering at the 10%-30% range.

You were one of the lucky ones if yours was reasonably accurate.[emoji41] I love the display pro, it's fast even with measurement smoothing enabled.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is that the [or one of] the  monitor that they use to colour grade on ?

Reason I ask is not for info on the monitor itself, but on the background colour of the wall paint.

For critical work I have my calibrated monitors sitting with a background that is equivalent to a 15% Grey card....except in Blue [well the whole room is painted that colour ]....I guess that shade of Brown / Dark tan would be similar , it certainly makes your eye focus on the screen without strain, which can happen with either a darker or lighter background wall colour, not something you want when colour grading.

OT: I don't know how long you have owned you Xrite i1 Display pro [I bought mine within weeks of it's release- forgot when that was - several years ago anyway ], but I've noticed that the Rubber surround  is starting to get really tacky on my unit, which is a bit disconcerting.

Maybe it's the horrible Sydney humidity we have been suffering recently, but from my previous dealings with rubber that has become like this is....Not Good.

Edited by Tweaky

On 03/03/2017 at 5:55 PM, Tweaky said:

Is that the [or one of] the  monitor that they use to colour grade on ?

Reason I ask is not for info on the monitor itself, but on the background colour of the wall paint.

For critical work I have my calibrated monitors sitting with a background that is equivalent to a 15% Grey card....except in Blue [well the whole room is painted that colour ]....I guess that shade of Brown / Dark tan would be similar , it certainly makes your eye focus on the screen without strain, which can happen with either a darker or lighter background wall colour, not something you want when colour grading.

OT: I don't know how long you have owned you Xrite i1 Display pro [I bought mine within weeks of it's release- forgot when that was - several years ago anyway ], but I've noticed that the Rubber surround  is starting to get really tacky on my unit, which is a bit disconcerting.

Maybe it's the horrible Sydney humidity we have been suffering recently, but from my previous dealings with rubber that has become like this is....Not Good.

They used a combination of the plasma and and a mac for grading. I used to use 70% grey with a bias light when I was running with a projector. 

Sorry to hear about your meter. My i1 Display Pro is a few years old now (I profile it to a spectro to maintain accuracy) and it has aged particularly well. I used to keep it in Vanguard case to protect it from humidity, but don't tend to these days.

Sorry to hear about your meter. My i1 Display Pro is a few years old now (I profile it to a spectro to maintain accuracy) and it has aged particularly well. I used to keep it in Vanguard case to protect it from humidity, but don't tend to these days.

Hey mate, do you find that the display pro has drifted much over its life?

I'm pretty sure my old i12 is waaaaay out now, and I'm tossing up whether I should try and find an old i1 pro to use to profile it, or just grab a new spectro like the display pro and run that instead.

I figure being able to reprofile with a spectro helps in the long run, but the risk is in not knowing the state or history of an old second hand unit.

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you can send your meter to Image Science in Victoria to be re-calibrated....cost ?

https://imagescience.com.au/

It would be a damm sight cheaper that a replacement unit, plus, depending on software being used, you wouldn't have to go through the palava of getting a new meter registered to work with your software [something to consider]

They only really go out of whack if left near a heat source [like left on top of a amp or PC ], my unit functions just fine, it's just the rubber around it that I have concerns about.

As for the SIM2 calibration.....A early DLP PJ judging by the look of the photos, probably a 2 chip one.

Looks like a fair bit of age on the lamp judging by those photos, then again, 10+ year PJ's with a new lamp tend to look like that anyway....tech has moved on.

My first ever 3 Lens CRT PJ was a SIM2, I used to work in a pub and they had taken it down thinking it was broken.....I said what are you doing with that?....Reply, Nothing, you can have it if you want....OK, I'll take it....I had it up and running within 48 hours....Took me ages to learn how to focus & calibrate it though [Manually with little plastic tools bought from Jaycar ]...Thanks AVS CRT section and Guy Kudo's , Yiikes Holy Focus! post [sticky] I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise.

Edited by Tweaky

On 11/03/2017 at 10:18 PM, srey said:

Hey mate, do you find that the display pro has drifted much over its life?

I'm pretty sure my old i12 is waaaaay out now, and I'm tossing up whether I should try and find an old i1 pro to use to profile it, or just grab a new spectro like the display pro and run that instead.

I figure being able to reprofile with a spectro helps in the long run, but the risk is in not knowing the state or history of an old second hand unit.

Any thoughts?

I would have a serious look at a new display pro colorimeter. I have had one in my kit for a while now and hasn't drifted that much and what little drift there is is far less than other colorimeters I have used.  I suspect this is largely due to its sealed design. If you want to take things a step further, you could always add a new i1pro 2 spectro down the track to profile against.

17 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I'm pretty sure you can send your meter to Image Science in Victoria to be re-calibrated....cost ?

https://imagescience.com.au/

It would be a damm sight cheaper that a replacement unit, plus, depending on software being used, you wouldn't have to go through the palava of getting a new meter registered to work with your software [something to consider]

They only really go out of whack if left near a heat source [like left on top of a amp or PC ], my unit functions just fine, it's just the rubber around it that I have concerns about.

As for the SIM2 calibration.....A early DLP PJ judging by the look of the photos, probably a 2 chip one.

Looks like a fair bit of age on the lamp judging by those photos, then again, 10+ year PJ's with a new lamp tend to look like that anyway....tech has moved on.

My first ever 3 Lens CRT PJ was a SIM2, I used to work in a pub and they had taken it down thinking it was broken.....I said what are you doing with that?....Reply, Nothing, you can have it if you want....OK, I'll take it....I had it up and running within 48 hours....Took me ages to learn how to focus & calibrate it though [Manually with little plastic tools bought from Jaycar ]...Thanks AVS CRT section and Guy Kudo's , Yiikes Holy Focus! post [sticky] I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise.

Single chip DLP Domino D60, the customer still loves it and has no plans to move on as yet. I can't recall how many hours were on the lamp, but it had clocked up a few.

Do you still have the CRT?

I was hoping you would post photos of this model Epson or the 9300 , but considering the 9300 already has the inbuilt ISF metering, your services would be unlikely to be called upon to calibrate that.

What is this referenced to?.....Extended gamut or 709 ?

I've seen a review online that says it doesn't do the extended gamut of 4k.

http://www.projectorjunkies.com/epson-tw9300-full-review-2/

Test results below......looks out of whack to me.

tw9300-cinema-dci-768x663.jpg.55907c914f9ce15f04f5dff27a0458d2.jpg

I've been looking at getting this PJ for several reasons, mostly black level and latency for gaming [seems fine at 1080p].......But, looking at those photos above, I'm reconsidering even bothering getting a demo....the left side of the top photo seems to have pixels that are slightly misaligned, unless that is some chromatic aberrations of you phones camera lens [It hasn't made a appearance in previous photos you have posted, that's why I think it's a fault of this particular PJ]

To my eyes, the contrast is spectacular for a PJ in this price range, until you look at the low level blacks, then that contrast ramps downwards quickly from I estimate 25% to 0....it just looks flat at those lowest levels, probably only because everything else looks so good in comparison.......similar to have a great floorstander speaker  that does everything brilliantly but is let down by the extreme bass. where it sound 'one note' .

As for the CRT PJ's.

No the SIM2 went many years ago, I swapped it for a HTPC build for me by some Uni students.

I replaced it with a NEC CRT PJ that I bought from a forum member of a now defunct Aussie HT forum [just as the original incarnation of this forum started - before it became Stereo.net ]

Actually I still have some spare parts if you run across anybody needing any for a NEC 6PG or 9PG...I have a set of NOS Tubes, a setup remote, deflection board, and point board- which gives finer picture convergence points between the 3 lenses electronically.

I would have a serious look at a new display pro colorimeter. I have had one in my kit for a while now and hasn't drifted that much and what little drift there is is far less than other colorimeters I have used.  I suspect this is largely due to its sealed design. If you want to take things a step further, you could always add a new i1pro 2 spectro down the track to profile against.

Cheers mate, your sentiment echoes others I've heard on the display pro.

I probably should calibrate my work monitors too, so maybe I can convince the boss we need one for the 'office'... :)

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Well... it's been a while!

Here are some before and after shots of an LG E7 which I recently calibrated. The first two pictures were taken in the 'Standard' and 'APS' picture modes, neither of which have been calibrated. The last picture is of the calibrated 'Expert Bright Room' picture mode.

20170523_160346.jpg

20170523_160349.jpg

20170523_160343.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, what a difference, it looks far more realistic once calibrated.
Hopefully you'll get one of those Samsung QLED TV's do do soon, I'd love to see the results with one of those.

I recently calibrated a QLED, but wasn't able to get photos. Next time I will make sure I can get some shots.[emoji4]

• 1 month later...

One of the great things about my job is that I get to work in some very cool places... This is a photo of a 4K monitor which I calibrated for Digital Artisan. Mike (the owner) is a post production sound engineer- he creates the sound effects and backing tracks for movies.

While his focus is on sound, the images on his monitors need to match the video guys as closely as possible. I will try and remember to grab some photos of the studio next time I'm there, as it has had extensive audio treatments added to it.
If you're interested, there's a video of some of the video work Digital Artisan has done at:http://mike1763.wixsite.com/digitalartisan

20170614_110105.jpg

20170614_110116.jpg

On 15/03/2017 at 9:47 AM, Rec. 709 said:

I ended up doing exactly that, got the new Display Pro yesterday. I've already profiled my PC, and as I thought the result is pretty different to the old meter (big red push on the old one).

I'm going to have a go at the plasma today, but I'm wondering whether I should set it on the screen, or use the tripod to position it a bit away from the surface?

I've read about the heat of the plasma panels affecting the meter's readings, but I'm also worried about stray light and reflections if I can't make the room completely dark.

Any advice?

Panasonic VT60 55”. Thing gets pretty damn hot. At night I can make sure the room is pretty dark, but couldn't guarantee there isn't some light leaking in.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

My preference would be to put it on the screen. Heat shouldn't be a big deal, unless the meter is on the screen for a really long time. One of the golden rules of calibration is if you're not sure of something test it. Do a gs/gamma run against the screen and on a tripod for comparison. If light is an issue the first place you're going to see it will be in luminance. Colour luminance and gamma to be specific. Use either pro or custom to calibrate from (custom has a little more light output than pro). I tested a few different pattern types on the VT plasmas, but preferred APL patterns in the end. Dont get too hung up on this if you don't have APL patterns though, as it's not going to make a huge difference.

Awesome, thanks for sharing the knowledge. Just checked and I do have APL patterns too (also just did some reading to figure out what APL meant :) ) so I'll use those.

Very keen to see how I go this time. I've noticed recently that on content (mostly compressed - streaming video etc) that has scenes with a lot of nearly-black content, I see a fair bit of what I can best describe as 'posterisation' on the near-black areas. I have a feeling that I may have messed up the gamma around IRE 10/20 trying to compensate for what looked like a bump in that area last time.

Whether it was the old meter or the spud using it I'm not sure...