Recommended HiFi / AV Repairers (Australia)

I have two good recommedations for hi-fi repairers in Wellington

Kaleidoscope - 22 Garrett Street, Off Cuba in the CBD

Have used Gary(?) twice for repairing my old Accuphase amps. Good reliable repair and very reasonable rate.

Marcus Wilson at Audio Analysis

http://www.audioanalysis.co.nz/

Marcus is the NZ repair agent for Conrad-Johnson among other things and has fantastic knowledge of all things audio and a great love of music.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is looking to get an old Pioneer or Sansui amplifer or receiver repaired, solid state or valve I will be more than happy to help you out.

As I am an enthusiast and have been collecting Pioneer/Sansui gear for years, I'm familar with most models. I can repair or rebuild the unit, depending on what the owner wants. I'll also repair Denon/Marantz/Hitachi/Kenwood/Sony/Yamaha.

You can PM me or email at shamrok@paradise.net.nz

Cheers!

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

Lance Worsley;59693 wrote:
Axent audio. Auckland. All Loud speaker repair/reconditioning and testing. Components SS and valve. Turntables. 09 827 1220

I want to say I received fantastic service from Axent Audio recently. Mark worked on my Opera Consonance Cyber 800 monoblock as it started spewing some white smoke one night ! He knows his stuff with the valve gear and other vintage gear and I will be taking the other monoblock to him as he discovered a weakness in the caps used and they were heating up too much. Highly recommended !

• 2 weeks later...

• 8 months later...

curious_george;60833 wrote:
I have used Clarry Schollum. He is superb with tube/valve equipment. Bloody nice guy. Highly recommended.

Second on Clarry @ 34 Audio. He is the best. I wouldnt take my valve gear anywhere else.

Gidday ceejay, welcome.

Yes, I can recommend the Top Hi Fi shop's (behind Denny's on Moorhouse Ave) repair guy. Fast, good and very well priced. You can drop stuff off at their shop to be repaired. I've an amp in there at the moment and are well impressed with the way it's being handled.

Cheers, Shane.

gortnipper;91043 wrote:
Second on Clarry @ 34 Audio. He is the best. I wouldnt take my valve gear anywhere else.

Third on Clarry--highly knowledgable on anything tubed.

For those on the Shore with SS problems, I've found Simon Bell, ie Bell Electronics in Glenfield, to be very dependable.

Cheers.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, unless I am out of date, the cart would need to go overseas...

I believe that Benz-Micro themselves do rebuilds? Exchange/trade-in?

Otherwise...

Garrott Bros in Oz... Audio Dynamics/Tivoli Hifi in Melbourne are still the agents?

UK- The Cartridge Man, Expert Stylus Company.

Belgium - J A Allaerts

Netherlands - van den Hul

• 1 month later...

Looking for someone in Hamilton to replace the main transformer in my Heathkit valve tester (did the smelly smoke thing last night). Sould be fairly simple but need the right tranx and to calibrate it after install - cheers

• 2 months later...

jackthecat;68580 wrote:
I want to say I received fantastic service from Axent Audio recently. Mark worked on my Opera Consonance Cyber 800 monoblock as it started spewing some white smoke one night ! He knows his stuff with the valve gear and other vintage gear and I will be taking the other monoblock to him as he discovered a weakness in the caps used and they were heating up too much. Highly recommended !

Either you are the lucky one or I am the unlucky one. I have to say I have found Axent very disappointing to deal with in recent months.

A speaker driver that was faulty, they took two weeks to tell me there was nothing wrong with it, and I was able to demonstrate the problem (again) in seconds. They then took another two weeks to 'repair' it, and the fault resurfaced within days of use.

An amplifier that was faulty, with them for weeks before they said they needed a circuit diagram. I told them where to get the circuit and two weeks later they hadn't even tried. I obtained the circuit within an hour (all it took was to send an email to the address I had already supplied to them weeks before) and then I provided it to them, only for the technician to ring me up a week later to say he was having problems because he needed a circuit diagram. They appear to be hopelessly disorganised, though at this point the word pathetic seems more appropriate.

This seems to be in contrast to my dealings with them a couple of years ago, where they seemed to be onto it and you could pay a little extra to get fast attention to your gear.

• 2 months later...

Antipodes;103505 wrote:
Either you are the lucky one or I am the unlucky one. I have to say I have found Axent very disappointing to deal with in recent months.

An amplifier that was faulty, with them for weeks before they said they needed a circuit diagram. I told them where to get the circuit and two weeks later they hadn't even tried. I obtained the circuit within an hour (all it took was to send an email to the address I had already supplied to them weeks before) and then I provided it to them, only for the technician to ring me up a week later to say he was having problems because he needed a circuit diagram. They appear to be hopelessly disorganised, though at this point the word pathetic seems more appropriate.

I have some sympathy for them on the subject of circuits. You can spend HOURS tracking down service info for some piece of esoterica that you will only see once in a lifetime, and often come to a dead end. Who pays for that time ?. I do a LOT of pro sound repair work but avoid domestic HiFi like the plague. The pro sound (QSC, Crown, Lab Gruppen, Crest, JBL etc etc) manufacturers all provide service websites with excellent documentation, parts backup and so on. OTOH the niche HiFi outfits are absolutely useless, provide no schematics (they all think they have invented something special) or require signing NDAs (I'm not going to sign legal docs just for a schematic)

so whilst you may have had success getting info on your unit, this is not usual.

cheers

M

• 1 month later...

Well maybe not Strawberry Sound!

3 emails asking about speaker terminal replacement and no reply!!!

OK so this post isn't a comment on their level of service per se... but if their communication is as bad as this then....???

Sorry for the rant but it really annoys me :mad:

brettyd;116508 wrote:
Well maybe not Strawberry Sound!

3 emails asking about speaker terminal replacement and no reply!!!

OK so this post isn't a comment on their level of service per se... but if their communication is as bad as this then....???

Sorry for the rant but it really annoys me :mad:

Perhaps try the old fashioned way - telephone?

I would very much doubt that an email received would be ignored, therefore I would hazard a guess that they didn't receive the emails for whatever reason...

Yes of course I could do that ...but why bother having an email account if it doesn't work?

The emails didn't bounce so....

aarond;116568 wrote:
Perhaps try the old fashioned way - telephone?

I would very much doubt that an email received would be ignored, therefore I would hazard a guess that they didn't receive the emails for whatever reason...

• 3 weeks later...