Recommended HiFi / AV Repairers (Australia)

Guest duckling

Hi, anyone know of a place to repair CDP at a reasonable price? If possible, I need the contact nbr. Thanks. My CDP just went dead.

Are you using a Marantz CD6000KI or did I remember wrongly?

If you think NAM is charging very high for the CDP repair and the warranty has expired, then it is worth doing this. Open up the cover of the CDP to check the model and number of the laser pick up. Go to shop at Sim Lim Tower 3rd floor to ask about the price and stock of the pick-up. Most of the time, they will also agree to do the replacement work at a nominal fee. If your problem is really due to the lazer pick-up (90% of all CDP problem), your total cost is likely to be well below S$100 ;)

• Like 1

dgps - not yet. suspect dat i cud get it done cheaper else where. N maybe even upgrade some of the parts :)

Luv4nature - How do i know whether the prob is due to the laser pick up? I totally can't switch it on. A good CDP is not cheap.. (most of the time, if u stay within the same price range, u don't get a better CDP, just a different sounding one) might as well repair 1st n only when I have enuff dough wud I consider upgrading.

Btw, I came across a couple of ads in the straits times offering repair service. Anyone have tried any of them?R they reliable?

oops! In that case either your fuse has blown (=cheap)or worst still, your transformer may be gone (=expensive) Do you see any sign of powering up the unit at all? Don't think it's the laser pick up in this case (normally can't read disc or skipping while playing). Can try the hifi repair shop at SLS level 3 (can't remember the name).

If u know Brandon of Audio 88 well enough, u can ask his in-house technician to take a look at your CDP...the last time I brought my friend's antique (sentimental value )CDP to him n he only charged me $50 ! 8) But , then the cost depends on wat's wrong with your CDP..if transformer die, then it's gonna be $$$$$$, check if it is the fuse blown, if it is it only cost u a few cents to replace ! Good luck ! ::)

just to check with u guy if let say the laser pickup is at fault after replacing it how to conduct alingment on it or u just sent to a normal repair technician will there have the equipment to check on the alingment. Just wonder how good it is to send to normal technician to service.

• 5 years later...

This is the space to recommend good repair technicians for hi-fi equipment. It'll be saved as a "sticky" so others can easily find the information.

As a general recommendation, the repair techs that many distributors employ can be very good and are often your best first port of call.

• Like 1

Contact me by PM via AudioEnz for advice on repair of Craft Audio amps from the 1980s. I designed and built these, and I still have some spare parts. Until 2004 these were serviced by Plinius Audio while I was a part owner and director there. The new Plinius company have advised that they will no longer service these amps, and so enqiries should now come directly to me.

Gary Morrison

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The following Akld techs (solid state) have been mentioned here:

(I have no personal experience or association.)

WOT ELECTRONICS

Warren Turley

Ph 528 5632

CHRIS MARQUET

Ph 818 5196

I can, however, confidently recommend the following valve/tube technician:

Clarry Schollum

Ph 817 2634

Titirangi

• 3 weeks later...

I can thoroughly recommend Chris Marquet, he's not the fastest in the west but end results always excellent. He has upgraded and repaired my Plinius 100's. He has built for a friend probably the best subwoofer complete with amplifier system, beware there is no boom which can be disconcerting if thats what you have lived with. Is very good on solid state and digital prefers top end or well made gear. He has his own brand of amplifiers well proven. He is very hard on overpriced average built gear, but he can make it better if its worth it. He's honest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

jakenz;63005 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a hifi equipment repairer in Wellington.

Cheers,

Jake

Anyone? I have a Mirage speaker that has kicked the bucket and I would like to get someone to take a look at it locally rather than send it to Christchurch.

Cheers.