What kind of carpets have the best absorptive properties?

Maybe Carpet squares, so you can replace individual ones if never needed too.

EDit: mow I know what you mean by adsorption. :)

Carpet squares do have a rubber backing. I think some types of underlay have sound properties.

Edited by rocky500

Maybe Carpet squares, so you can replace individual ones if never needed too.

EDit: mow I know what you mean by adsorption. :)

Carpet squares do have a rubber backing.

whats that? google search doesnt show me anything.

id prefer something in white too :)

oh yes i mean i want something good for acoustic absorption. 

Can look up Acoustic underlay to see if there is something that might suit. Then pick a nice carpet for on top. Like Muon's suggestion.

Edited by rocky500

Can look up Acoustic underlay to see if there is something that might suit. Then pick a nice carpet for on top. Like Muon's suggestion.

once thought of that.....but it's hard to find the right product

The main thing is to use heavy duty underlay. Doesn't have to be called 'acoustic', just the heavy version of general produce.

Floyd Toole recommended a 40 oz/sq yard* felt underlay, supporting a clipped-pile carpet. (not the looped-pile, rubber-backed carpet)

*translates to 1 kg/m2

You could do it differently in that section only. Even thin/tough underlay in that section only. Even tile or floorboards in that one section.

Not quite like this but you get the idea

27477b65a38b358ba252e14c0ee895b3.jpg

Edited by rocky500

The thickness of the carpet is what determines absorption over frequency range.  The carpet construction itself has surprisingly little influence.  Increase thickness by adding more layers of felt underlay or similar porous material.  That will of course result in a very soft floor surface which may be ok for some but unacceptable for others.

Another option is to add a porous but mechanically stiff layer underneath the carpet.  Heraklith BM boards ( http://www.heraklith.com/sites/com.heraklith.knaufinsulation.net/files/download/files/heraklith-bm_06-2014_e.doc.pdf or http://www.heraklith.com/content/downloads-documents for more general information) or Heraklith M boards (http://www.heraklith.com/sites/com.heraklith.knaufinsulation.net/files/download/files/pdbl_heraklith-m_04-2014_a_e.pdf ) in 50mm or 100mm added on top of the structural floor and covered with felt underlay and carpet provide excellent absorption properties.  The absorption properties of the porous board again don't matter that much - here the flow resistivity of carpet and underlay do all the heavy lifting.

Edited by svenr
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I used Regupol® 6010 17/8mm underlay beneath my carpet in all my "other" listening rooms.

Made a huge difference.

Awesome to do aerobics on as well.

There is a small change to the carpet installation, as the underlay is about 8mm thicker than normal.

Happy to give advice if you go that way

Guest Peter the Greek

I guess something else to consider is why you might want to sue the carpet or not......its been ages since I looked at this, but from memory the absorption characteristics of most carpets is pretty narrow. I have however found it beneficial in reducing flutter echo.

I hate carpet, I'll never have it again (dust etc). I was originally worried about this when doing my last room, as we did a floating timber floor. We did however treat the entire ceiling, end result was excellent.

34 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

I guess something else to consider is why you might want to sue the carpet or not......its been ages since I looked at this, but from memory the absorption characteristics of most carpets is pretty narrow. I have however found it beneficial in reducing flutter echo.

I hate carpet, I'll never have it again (dust etc). I was originally worried about this when doing my last room, as we did a floating timber floor. We did however treat the entire ceiling, end result was excellent.

My son inlaw has a business installing floating floors in Brisbane  

He has offered me any timber floor product I wish to choose for my sunken lounge with vaulted ceiling, where the music room is situated 

I'm in two minds about it and fear it will make my room to live 

10 minutes ago, Full Range said:

My son inlaw has a business installing floating floors in Brisbane  

He has offered me any timber floor product I wish to choose for my sunken lounge with vaulted ceiling, where the music room is situated 

I'm in two minds about it and fear it will make my room to live 

I think with a decent underlay it will be OK.

You can always throw a rug on it!