AV Receivers - Can't Tell any difference for Music

2 hours ago, powerav said:

Seriously though it was really just that the one song, Blur Song 2 and it just came on at random. Had me checking cables, amps, speakers.

I gotta play this song now when I get home (I presume it's on Spotify) and report back. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I gotta play this song now when I get home (I presume it's on Spotify) and report back. 

It's a 90s release so maybe a good example of the loudness wars of that time

It's a great song and album. For me it's about the music as much as the gear and sq, I'll never delete stuff I like just because it isn't mixed or mastered well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the thing, Blur Song 2, if that makes you get disappointed with a system, your in the wrong hobby. I just listened to it here, jebus, don't let that song dishearten you. 

The secret to sanity in this game is reference tracks, tracks that you know are good and bring out the best in a system.  So on days you think your system is sounding bad, and your not sure if it's you are something's wrong, bring out those reference tracks. 

For me, the remastered version of brothers in arms is mine, it has a tone to that album that suits me perfectly, and I know it better than myself. Your latest trick, if you play that back on different systems in a hi-fi store, you'll be amazed at how many different representations of that song difference systems reproduce. My system for me, plays that album back exactly how I like it, thank goodness. 

Edited by Sime

17 minutes ago, Sime said:

Here's the thing, Blur Song 2, if that makes you get disappointed with a system, your in the wrong hobby. I just listened to it here, jebus, don't let that song dishearten you. 

The secret to sanity in this game is reference tracks, tracks that you know are good and bring out the best in a system.  So on days you think your system is sounding bad, and your not sure if it's you are something's wrong, bring out those reference tracks. 

For me, the remastered version of brothers in arms is mine, it has a tone to that album that suits me perfectly, and I know it better than myself. Your latest trick, if you play that back on different systems in a hi-fi store, you'll be amazed at how many different representations of that song difference systems reproduce. My system for me, plays that album back exactly how I like it, thank goodness. 

Yep, Blur Song 2 is the last song I'd use as a reference to judge a system on...

I go with Smooth Operator by Sade and Beat It by Michael Jackson, to start with.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sime said:

For me, the remastered version of brothers in arms is mine, it has a tone to that album that suits me perfectly, and I know it better than myself. Your latest trick, 

Yep that's exactly what I did and what a relief.

50 minutes ago, blybo said:

It's a great song and album. For me it's about the music as much as the gear and sq, I'll never delete stuff I like just because it isn't mixed or mastered well.

I wouldn't say it isn't mixed or mastered well as the rest of the songs are fine, being a Brit Pop band maybe they are taking the piss and did it on purpose. Not deleted album but just deleted on playlist so it doesn't surprise me again.

Song no2 i think it was engineered to sound like its playing through blown bass drivers.

i knew it wasn't a great track but played it again , it actually hasn't got deep bass as I thought it did.

Most of the noise is above 80hz

22 minutes ago, joz said:

Song no2 i think it was engineered to sound like its playing through blown bass drivers.

That's exactly what I thought I had, I believe it's 2 basses playing through distortion pedals. Had me swapping channels on amps and everything.

Might be a good track to take to an Audio show for a laugh.

Edited by powerav
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

even the brand new pioneer streamer is up for grabs too!

That's just more of a case that I don't need a streamer as I have Kodi and apart from Roon that costs a fortune in hardware an software I have not found anything better yet. I just need a DAC.

16 hours ago, powerav said:

That's just more of a case that I don't need a streamer as I have Kodi and apart from Roon that costs a fortune in hardware an software I have not found anything better yet. I just need a DAC.

That wasn't a thought process you had before buying the streamer?

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

How does it sound by the way?

It sounds great actually but I'm only using it as USB dac, I'm surprised it doesn't get a lot more attention.

maybe I should start a review site since I turn over so much stuff.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 4:20 PM, Satanica said:

It doesn't sound great that's for sure.

It sounds to me quite compressed. The guitar has heavy noisy fuzz effects and it's not doubled so you hear it between the speakers making it compete with the vocals, bass and drums.

When guitar parts are doubled you hear them from the left and right rather than between the speakers. 

Edited by Satanica