AV Receivers - Can't Tell any difference for Music

4 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

Agreed- however with all due respect, not every one has your level of disposable income ! nor financial dedication to the outcome - so for many compromise need be made, and in many ways it is perhaps more challenging to get the balance right when the spend is less 

Not sure... my system/s been built up over decades...I value hifi av more than boats, cars, houses and expensive holidays and various other things others might spend their money on. Not that we have any call to be questioning what anyone spends on what and why. We all make our call on that.

But i dont turn turn over gear like some others see, to do. My speakers for all intensive purposes are for life... my TT is for life... the TT before cart and phono stage I owned for some 10+ years. My pre powers all ones have owned before have all owned for some 10+ years each before upgrading. My av processor previous one I owned for some 8 years ! Before replacing. How many people do that ? My av power amp some 8 years before it got upgraded. No intent to sell EVER my av power amps if can help it. Might call it dedication. I just call it buying once. Being content. My gear isn't going through a revolving door.

the example I gave of 2ch bettering av gear was of pre costing 100s of dollars.  I myself have had a budget av rig built up over the years that I augmented with a 2ch rig some 13 years ago and I think it can be done. My budget av rig comprising gear from my very first setup I did is still going strong at my dads some 28 ! Years later...

and ofcurse there are going to be compromises depending on approach. But am sure if put mind to it and select carefully a great combo can be had that will do very best for the money. I don't think it's an impossible ask :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powerav said:

I did try and it was nearly double the elektra

The problem with your Elektra is it was only 3 ch. Very little demand for that configuration regardless of brand. I couldn't get $1k for my 80.3 on trade in. Could still sell my 7ch Theatron for more than that even though many years older.

To sum all this craziness up. I am very happy with current setup, the best it has ever been. Will be getting a streamer/dac soon, the pioneer n50a. The only thing I need now is a 2 channel integrated amp with ht bypass and then we can all relax and eat some nuts.

10 minutes ago, :) al said:

Not sure... my system/s been built up over decades...I value hifi av more than boats, cars, houses and expensive holidays and various other things others might spend their money on. Not that we have any call to be questioning what anyone spends on what and why. We all make our call on that.

But i dont turn turn over gear like some others see, to do. My speakers for all intensive purposes are for life... my TT is for life... the TT before cart and phono stage I owned for some 10+ years. My pre powers all ones have owned before have all owned for some 10+ years each before upgrading. My av processor previous one I owned for some 8 years ! Before replacing. How many people do that ? My av power amp some 8 years before it got upgraded. No intent to sell EVER my av power amps if can help it. Might call it dedication. I just call it buying once. Being content. My gear isn't going through a revolving door.

the example I gave of 2ch bettering av gear was of pre costing 100s of dollars.  I myself have had a budget av rig built up over the years that I augmented with a 2ch rig some 13 years ago and I think it can be done. My budget av rig comprising gear from my very first setup I did is still going strong at my dads some 28 ! Years later...

and ofcurse there are going to be compromises depending on approach. But am sure if put mind to it and select carefully a great combo can be had that will do very best for the money. I don't think it's an impossible ask :)

No need to explain !  your dedicated and have worked hard to have a good job to have the funds, and you spend wisely within that context

In regards to my system been mentioned as to sounding good, mine in particular, even though it's using a pre-pro, has still across the board from source to speakers, rather expensive kit involved. Sure they are Rotels ;) but they are at least the top tier, most powerful mono's they have made, the rest is personal opinion on their sound. 

The word experience has been used, well with all different gear I have tried over the last 2 years I would say I am pretty experienced and the only piece of equipment I am certain of and would not try anything else now is Rotel amps.

Interesting!

Many years ago I went to audition some power amps.

The retailer suggested something I had never thought of or even heard of at the time.

Anyhow I went in knowing exactly what I wanted. The salesman setup a simple blind session and so I listened.

The Rotel stayed in the shop.

So we have different tastes!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joz said:

Interesting!

Many years ago I went to audition some power amps.

The retailer suggested something I had never thought of or even heard of at the time.

Anyhow I went in knowing exactly what I wanted. The salesman setup a simple blind session and so I listened.

The Rotel stayed in the shop.

So we have different tastes!

I actually did exactly the VERY same ! Even had them visit. Will still recommend them as they are good product. However it was the black box in the side corner of the rack that I had to ask the retailer what it was and ask him to hook up so could have a listen ... that had me hooked ! Still had to home demo before realisation hit ..

yes we are all different. It's why checking out for self is so important !

45 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

No need to explain !  your dedicated and have worked hard to have a good job to have the funds, and you spend wisely within that context

The point is it isn't so hard or impossible. Yes it takes some care, some effort some dollars. Yes there will be compromises there always are no matter what ...But it is possible ... we aren't chasing unicorns here !!!

25 minutes ago, :) al said:

The point is it isn't so hard or impossible. Yes it takes some care, some effort some dollars. Yes there will be compromises there always are no matter what ...But it is possible ... we aren't chasing unicorns here !!!

Al, less than 2% of the Aus population could afford a system like yours ( or many of the others on this forum) no matter what, most are paying the bills and mortgage and struggling to do that.

I am in the lucky 2% as well, but acutely aware we are the fortunate ones, it all about perspective 

Still, no one to date have had 1581's in their system. Just saying. 

People here like to pass off a brand from one product they heard. 

So, if this is the case, are all Krells good, are all peachtrees's awesone, are all Sanui  amps sought after. 

No. 

Just now, Chill3 said:

Al, less than 2% of the Aus population could afford a system like yours ( or many of the others on this forum) no matter what, most are paying the bills and mortgage and struggling to do that.

I am in the lucky 2% as well, but acutely aware we are the fortunate ones, it all about perspective 

I bet you there is a pooftienth of population with any interest in hifi or av. most are happy wiht a telly and smart phone/tablet or a sound bar at best.

I think the part you miss is there is no one way to do this. and i for one am not suggesting for one minute that what my approach is or my system is what id suggest every one to do. infact am not sure theres anyone anywhere with same system as mine. thats just it there are SO many ways.

2ch and music can be enjoyed in SO many ways and for very small amount of dollars, check out the low cost systems people are enjoying music on in all sorts of forms. the 2ch pre quoted was 100s of dollars and it did better with music than the integra quoted. and yes with an AVR if wanting to do music justice there are indeed carefully choices that need to be made. (wiht caveats of what the definition of form of what music is) it might determine those choices and that is the whole point. perhaps you are missing it ? we are talking about AVRs and music ? yeah ? or are you on some other subject ?

4 minutes ago, Sime said:

Still, no one to date have had 1581's in their system. Just saying. 

People here like to pass off a brand from one product they heard. 

So, if this is the case, are all Krells good, are all peachtrees's awesone, are all Sanui  amps sought after. 

No. 

people will have preferences... ive found for instance both rotel and primare or krell for that matter even with home demoing in my system havent really been to my taste. such is life :) we dont love everything and anything. why all the brands exist. but wont stop me suggesting to someone to indeed check out rotel, primare or krell for that matter. and I do actively ...

I agree @:) al but Rotel get bagged the most because of these biases, like you said, Krell didn't stack up either, but that's where it'll end. 

Anyone who has heard my system and has read the forums about Rotel, has then changed their opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Sime said:

I agree @:) al but Rotel get bagged the most because of these biases, like you said, Krell didn't stack up either, but that's where it'll end. 

Anyone who has heard my system and has read the forums about Rotel, has then changed their opinion. 

I dont personally get to hung up of what people might think of whatever. as long as right for me, really what else should matter. I'm buying stuff for myself not to please others !

5 minutes ago, Sime said:

So, do ALL Rotel amps sound exactly the same?

no they dont all sound the same it would be like saying all denon amps or marantz amps if we are talking AVRs sound the same... brands however do have some traits and people do tend to have preferences some of them purely around branding...I suspect

2 hours ago, :) al said:

the 2ch pre quoted was 100s of dollars and it did better with music than the integra quoted

This has got my back up again, this is just a sneaky swipe at me because you ain't talking to me. I was told pretty clearly on this site that a AV Pre/pro would blow any avr away and most lower end 2 channel gear. I have heard very expensive systems at HiFi stores, Naim and Focal sopra combos being one of them and I was more than happy that I didn't have to spend that much to get a similar result.

2 hours ago, Sime said:

This is pretty big issue I think, since that this is a commercial site.

Edited by powerav

23 minutes ago, powerav said:

This has got my back up again, this is just a sneaky swipe at me because you ain't talking to me. I was told pretty clearly on this site that a AV Pre/pro would blow any avr away and most lower end 2 channel gear.

Take a chill pill Dan. This response is why some people can get short with you. I'd be willing to bet fair sums of money, this is not directed at you, Al is not like that (many here know him personally and would agree), you read too much between the lines I think.

27 minutes ago, powerav said:

This is pretty big issue I think, since that this is a commercial site may be a bit of cash for comment going on. Big brands like Rotel wouldn't need this level of advertising so of course get pretty rough treatment here.

I think you may have overestimated the income this site generates for @Marc and a pretty cheap shot. Moderators are not paid, only reviewers for the main site, not the forum posts. I think Marc goes out of his way to keep clear lines of engagement with regards to governance here.

• Like 1

ok I deleted the comment, I still think it should be made clear that there is no affiliation with certain products, would clear things up a bit. 

What was that $100 preamp al was using because if that is better than the 2 channel sound l have now I'll buy it right now.

Edited by powerav

ok I deleted the comment, I still think it should be made clear that there is no affiliation with certain products, would clear things up a bit. 

What was that $100 preamp al was using because if that is better than the 2 channel sound l have now I'll buy it right now.

It was a MF X-Ray Pre, or whatever the pre from that old series is called. It did not have ht bypass though but gave a much better bass extension and rock solid soundstage. The 80.3 by comparison did not give a realistic imaging, everything sounded like coming from l & r speakers, very faint centre for vocals. All from the same source into same speakers and power amp.

Btw he said it cost hundreds, not thousands of $. You read that as $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, blybo said:

The 80.3 by comparison did not give a realistic imaging, everything sounded like coming from l & r speakers, very faint centre for vocals. All from the same source into same speakers and power amp.

Well that to me don't sound right, I get fantastic stereo imaging, it spins me out actually it's that good. I think you may want to invest in decent source material. Try Neil Diamond greatest hits 24\192 his voice was dead smack in middle of room, I had to check that it wasn't actually coming out of the centre channel it was that good.

• Like 2