yardley

panasonic 4k blueray player

44 posts in this topic

YES!!!!!

Fixed, finally figured out how to change the remote :thumb:

Once you get to the setup screen and select the Code # you want to use

e.g. Code 2, press and hold 'okay' and '2' on the remote for ~5seconds, then (while still pointing the remote at the device) press and hold 'okay' for ~5seconds, and voila the screen says remote set to Code 2 etc....

1 person likes this

UB900 now $598 at JB HiFi.

Good Guys will match it/beat it by 10%, or just buy it at Good Guys then fill in a "30 Day Price Guarantee" form to get 120% rebate on the difference.

:):)

I'm tempted to get one myseld, but my Sammy plasma is still going strong and obviously only 1080p. I figure by the time we're ready for a new TV there will be slight improvements (speed, add-on services, etc) to newer UDH players. Not to mention more competition so hopefully lower prices.

a new firmware update for the pana v1.73 to upgrade from the last which was 1.69

not sure what the update is all about... but i will not question...

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, :) al said:

a new firmware update for the pana v1.73 to upgrade from the last which was 1.69

not sure what the update is all about... but i will not question...

.......:)

Firmware .1.jpg

Firmware.2.jpg

1 person likes this

also have read that its some how connected to HDR 10 

mentioned on avs I read,

apparently "an option many asked for a long time : the possibility to display UHD movies in 10 bits instead of 12 bits. This is supposed to help those who have color banding."

I notice the Auto(10bit Priority) option and with explanation between both
33167663744_f06f0fa265_b.jpg

this is very smart in my opinion as I know the oppo was having banding issues on auto and because of the chroma upsampling. this pana option still gives an auto option but can allow pegging to 12 or 10 bit which his native for UHD :)

I see JB have the Samsung UBD-K8500 for $198 this weekend.

Also 20% off movies, might go and pick up a 4K to try out

3 hours ago, Spearmint said:

I see JB have the Samsung UBD-K8500 for $198 this weekend.

Also 20% off movies, might go and pick up a 4K to try out

i owned one of them from when they were released in au and I would say that is an outright bargain for it. never had a problem with it. uhd is better on something like the pana, but the sammy does come better loaded with streaming apps. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, :) al said:

i owned one of them from when they were released in au and I would say that is an outright bargain for it. never had a problem with it. uhd is better on something like the pana, but the sammy does come better loaded with streaming apps. 

Thanks Al, I also received an additional 5% off offer via email which brings it down to $188.10, but have decided it is not something I need, although very tempting. 

I realise this is for DVD only and not Blu-Ray, but as anyone tried out one of these remotes? It would be handy for my US dvd's

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/110602620681?_mwBanner=1

I decided to buy one since I have 3x Panasonic Blu-ray PVR's and player. All are listed as compatible.

Edited by Spearmint
1 person likes this

curious device spearmint. let us know how you find it :)

good explanation of the 10 bit priority mode

2 people like this

Picked up Deepwater Horizon, and Passengers today through the online sale yesterday. Both played fine via the AVR to the TV, so I guess there are no issues with handshakes etc for UHD material. It was nice to finally try a 4K disc out. :)

1 person likes this

Found a button on the remote today :unsure:

Phone image, so not good quality.

It looks as though it upscales the video. I get the same video out info on 3 different movies I tried. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing?

4K%20Apr%202017%20-%20001_zps68zpokwe.jp

1 minute ago, Spearmint said:

Found a button on the remote today :unsure:

am sure theres some buttons on it i havent tried yet :D 

2 minutes ago, Spearmint said:

It looks as though it upscales the video. I get the same video out info on 3 different movies I tried. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing?

probably want to check your output settings. what its telling you is the source format above on disc 4k uhd / 24 4:2:0 10bit

and it is being output via hdmi 4:2:2 12bit so being chroma upsampled

this is not a bad thing. and its a necessary thing as the format on disc... I have no idea why but it is not something supported by the hdmi spec for 24p to transport over via hdmi.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

so the player has to upsample. just matter if whether you go to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4

i wouldn't worry too much about it spearmint unless seeing some side effects e.g. banding in which case id drop back to 10bit as pana suggests. 

Thanks Al, I'll set it to 10bit and see if it makes a difference. Of the 6 UHD discs I've played I haven't noticed any visual or audio anomalies. 

1 person likes this

I checked out the settings, and the info on the settings page says to set it on 12bit unless you get video banding or other issues in which case drop it back to 10bit or off. I've left it at 12bit, as I find playing blu-ray and DVD both upscale nicely to 12bit

5 hours ago, Spearmint said:

I checked out the settings, and the info on the settings page says to set it on 12bit unless you get video banding or other issues in which case drop it back to 10bit or off. I've left it at 12bit, as I find playing blu-ray and DVD both upscale nicely to 12bit

am not seeing banding either so mine is also just left running on 12 bit :) 

as a note, you can also get banding via source e.g. the blu-ray of hacksaw ridge from the us is pretty bad for this by reports, i saw two instances on the local blu-ray

33564630755_a2a6c53d22_c.jpg

32721153874_cd522d3b2b_c.jpg

this is not present on the uhd version and just really sloppy / compromised mastering on behalf of the studio I suspect,

ps how have you found the dvd upscale spearmint. i find annoying the stair step / jaggies on dvd of the pana that see on both my plasma and projector. I sent the picture below to pana and while got a response really nothing to resolve,

I have many concerts still on dvd and also some movies etc that have never made it over to blu-ray let alone uhd, maybe there is a setting that will fix this perhaps but if there is, I havent discovered as yet ! 

33345250424_1a575a20de_b.jpg

this is just about my main bug bear with the pana, (apart from no ways to region free with mod). and oh perhaps not as many apps as get with say the sammy uhd player...

Hmmm doesn't look to flash Al, I'll put on a few concert disc's and check it out.

Stoked, only one of the UHD, included Blu-ray I bought in from the US, Patriots Day is region coded, the others are region free :)

Edited by Spearmint
1 person likes this