Panasonic Dmp-Ub900 Uhd Blu-Ray Player

After these UHD blu rays players are released and readily available, how long will it take for the 2K Oppo and alike blu rays players go down to less than $500 used?

Would one be crazy to spend large amounts of $$ on a blu ray player atm while these UHD players are being released?

After all it seems quite a few people have UHD blu ray movies, so they need to buy the new UHD players just to enjoy the media :logik:

Edited by turntable

Certainly a nice feature being able to 'tune' the rec709 downrez to the nit capability of early hdmi2.0 panels Al :thumbsup:

JVC DLA-X5000, with the player impressing on both displays and showing just what Ultra HD Blu-ray is capable of with TVs and projectors.

and the x7000 can take the upscaled 4k/60 4:4:4 with its 12bit throughput ; though 68 billion colour points may be hard to pick from only 16.7 million ..

After these UHD blu rays players are released and readily available, how long will it take for the 2K Oppo and alike blu rays players go down to less than $500 used?

​Glad I sold my oppo103d awhile ago :logik: crunch time when the uhd oppo turns up methinks depending on price ; they are getting dearer over time .

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-dmp-ub900-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-review.12538

great review of the panasonic here, one cool feature is the ability to tell it the dynamic range of your display :)

There was a comment on the thread that a member had the Panasonic and the VW520/665 still wasn't working 'correctly' although I don't know the extent of the issue. Sony told some folks here that it was Samsung's fault for the Samsung player not working correctly so it will be interesting to hear if the Panasonic does any better for these projector owners.

note comment overnight above re sony 520/665 not playing nicely with the panasonic. so perhaps some compatibility issues still there, though bodes well with the jvcs at least,

very pleasing to read worked seamlessly with the 14 uhds they ran through hooked upto jvc x5000.

"the UB900 performed extremely well with the JVC and the projector mapped the signal from the player with surprising effectiveness, resulting in some impressive images."

Posted this in the jvc owners thread Al ; Kris Deering has had no problems with his hd integral doing custom edids with the jvc :)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2180537-owners-sony-vpl-vw665-31.html#post43344578

There was a comment on the thread that a member had the Panasonic and the VW520/665 still wasn't working 'correctly' although I don't know the extent of the issue. Sony told some folks here that it was Samsung's fault for the Samsung player not working correctly so it will be interesting to hear if the Panasonic does any better for these projector owners.

note comment overnight above re sony 520/665 not playing nicely with the panasonic. so perhaps some compatibility issues still there, though bodes well with the jvcs at least,

very pleasing to read worked seamlessly with the 14 uhds they ran through hooked upto jvc x5000.

"the UB900 performed extremely well with the JVC and the projector mapped the signal from the player with surprising effectiveness, resulting in some impressive images."

So is there a 4k player on the ground that one can buy in NSW?

And how much? Be it Sammy or Panny or Philips?

dont know if you saw this

https://www.rio.com.au/product/samsung-ubd-k8500-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-with-hdr-pre-order-limted-stock

its in mexico though

free shipping Australia wide

https://www.rio.com.au/content/cart/

the pana has not even been released and already has a region free hack for blu-ray and dvd ... no mod kit required :)

http://www.regionfreedom.com/index.php/enhanced-firmware/panasonic-blu-ray-players/44-dmp-ub900/74-dmp-ub900-enhanced-firmware-1-02a-for-selected-models-eb-eg-gn

as posted by jsmith, it wont be coming to Australia

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/203102-the-official-4k-ultra-h-d-blu-ray-thread/?p=2066059

jsmith, on 21 Apr 2016 - 8:02 PM, said:snapback.png

A poster @ WP received this reply from Pana;

"I’m sorry, but the DMP-UB900 is not scheduled for release for the Australian market. Sorry for the inconvenience."

... not looking good for a release date here yet. :hmm:

JSmith :ninja:

Thanks mate, looks very interesting, although I have never ordered anything from this company...

Wish they carried the Panasonic..

It seems that the Panasonic is more likely to get a region free mod..

Most of my collection is actually region A, and the Samsung seems to have more issues..

Are you getting one?

I have just finished reading about 80% of both Panasonic and Samsung threads on AVS forum, and it was a long and head-splitting read, but essentially the Samsung has some teething issues, and I don't think either is Dolby Vision compatible. They aren't bad if one needs a BR player with 4k as a bonus, but I don't think they are a finished product yet..

I just ordered the 4k Revenant disc off Amazon, and will enjoy the BR disc first, whilst awaiting the dust to settle down before I commit :)

If the Panny was priced around the GBP 200 point, I might grab one when I visit UK in June.. but right now, I have two Oppo players to tide me over until the dust settles..

I recalled how primitive my Samsung BDP 1500 felt, it really felt like a totally unfinished product.

I don't feel a need to be on the cutting edge, and certainly the bragging rights aren't important to me.

Panasonic due to be released locally in September. Did someone say glacial speed?

good find quark !

wow september ? really ? wow hehe

wondering whats the go with these staggered releases....mar for uk, aug for us and sept for au...probably not making too many of them perhaps and just doing 3 small runs ? they seem to be being snapped up overseas though ...

so looks like samsung will beat them to it....

wonder why the article doesnt actually say the samsung is being released ? odd. instead saying

"with at least one more major home entertainment vendor planning to unveil its Australian Ultra HD Blu-ray player in the next few weeks."

also not sure why the article says interesting to see how local uhd disc prices line up...we already know ?

perhaps article was written last week... its a fat paced world even hard for journos to keep up :)

Maybe the Panny has a higher margin..

Anyway - it's best to wait and see...

Keep calm, be patient.. :)

My plasma TVs, and PJs are all 1080 and working well, so it's definitely a want, not a need... but oh what an itch.. hats off to the brave new frontier!

I am actually headed to UK, so I did consider picking up a Panny for 500 quid. But the regions are wrong and I won't know if they will offer a region free version - my discs are largely Region A.

By then, Oppo may come to the rescue.

By then, Oppo may come to the rescue.

Yep... might be over Xmas in the US. I'd also be inclined to wait for Oppo, as I know they would be waiting to make sure they get it right before release, unlike Samsung who has basically issued a beta test product.

I thought you never bought ver1 of anything..

I am waiting for the version 2 of these things or when i actually get a TV or projector that does 4K...

Are the Chinese going to make a povo player for the masses?

mixo

Let's hope Laser comes out with a $200 version in a year :)

whatever happened to laser ? lot of people used them as was cheap functional player that was out of box region free

Nah lets wait for the Aldi version!

it will come … just matter of time….they have the 4k telly already :D

I thought you never bought ver1 of anything..

mixo

Who ya talking there mixo? Can't be me... I purchased the first Oppo bluray player released. :P

whatever happened to laser ? lot of people used them as was cheap functional player that was out of box region free

They're still around... still region switchable too.

Nah lets wait for the Aldi version!

:lol: Won't that be the "povo" made in China player?

I think you'll find many of the components in both the new players available will be Chinese manufactured anyway. As long as the product is made to spec and under license then why would it matter where it's made? :blink:

Who ya talking there mixo? Can't be me... I purchased the first Oppo bluray player released. :P

They're still around... still region switchable too.

:lol:~

there you go ! and still cheaper than a region mod I see :)