Panasonic Dmp-Ub900 Uhd Blu-Ray Player

doesnt look like still on our local site but got a stonking review on whathifi

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/dmp-ub900/review

this article here quotes mid april release for europe and expected pricing

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/panasonic-dmp-ub900-mad-max-fury-road/

goodness knows when will land here or what price

panasonic_dmp-ub900_06.jpg?itok=A1aTqjRJ

Yes ; always liked the minimalist look ; now what would it need a 1000BASE T ethernet outlet for when 100 is fine for hi def 2k streaming ? Rather read about a back usb port for a hdd full off digital link uhd files [a supposed feature of udk bd] or maybe thats what the 1000Base t is for ; delivery off really high bandwidth sources - mind boggles :question: Promising on the audio front too although they could leave out the multi channel analogs :logik:

Sounds promising - let's see whether Panasonic go for price gouging here.

Yes will be interesting, from what I understand the sammy will land here pretty much at exchange rate. Hope the pans not too pricey as not sure want to invest to much in a first Gen piece. My first blu-ray player was around $1k but built like a tank,

panasonic_dmp-ub900_06.jpg?itok=A1aTqjRJ

Yes ; always liked the minimalist look ; now what would it need a 1000BASE T ethernet outlet for when 100 is fine for hi def 2k streaming ? Rather read about a back usb port for a hdd full off digital link uhd files [a supposed feature of udk bd] or maybe thats what the 1000Base t is for ; delivery off really high bandwidth sources - mind boggles :question: Promising on the audio front too although they could leave out the multi channel analogs :logik:

Curious that ... Pity it has a fan...wonder if it's universal voltage :)

This pic shows 220 - 240V

Well spotted j ; no stepdown transformer :thumbsup:

I like the fan, whats rong with having a fan ?

Fans can cark it mello; its only a source device and a sign of good design if they can get away with a few heatsinks and passive cooling . On the other hand maybe its got a toroidal tranny and really needs it ; I dunno :question:

Fans can cark it mello; its only a source device and a sign of good design if they can get away with a few heatsinks and passive cooling . On the other hand maybe its got a toroidal tranny and really needs it ; I dunno :question:

thanks cwt, so its not a good design, yet they want marantz premium for it

guess that ties in to what i said back here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/203102-the-official-4k-ultra-h-d-blu-ray-thread/?p=2061736

( that Garbage song MILK springs to mind..."i am milking..." )

... might wait for marantz to bring out their version, does look sexy though, ... would need some gaffer tape over the Panasonic label though

Edited by mello yello

To give the benefit of the doubt mello we havent a schematic of its innards yet and i wouldnt bet against a big pcb full of analog circuitry for those upmarket dacs that need cooling . Note the oppo bdp95 also has a fan while the 105 doesnt - all in the layout .. Some enthusiasts complain about fan noise - maybe why oppo changed their mind...

If they left the multianalogs off it would be what many want - just a transport and cheaper . The technicolour HDR processor wouldnt be cheap r&d either ; you know 1st adopters pay one way or another :logik:

thanks cwt, so its not a good design, yet they want marantz premium for it

guess that ties in to what i said back here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/203102-the-official-4k-ultra-h-d-blu-ray-thread/?p=2061736

( that Garbage song MILK springs to mind..."i am milking..." )

... might wait for marantz to bring out their version, does look sexy though, ... would need some gaffer tape over the Panasonic label though

I don't think they save much money having 100baseT network adapter instead of 1000baseT, it is probably work out to be cheaper to have the newer 1000baseT adapter than the older 100baseT adapter. Streaming will always depend on the speed of the internet connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a site in Europe that you can preorder from that will deliver to Australia? Really not interested in waiting until this thing is finally released in Australia.

Tried to pre-order from Amazon.de but wouldn't ship to an Australian address. It's still not listed on the UK Amazon site yet. Looks like all UHD blu-Ray will be region free so can buy the player from anywhere

So is there a 4k player on the ground that one can buy in NSW?

And how much? Be it Sammy or Panny or Philips?

nope

Has anyone found a site in Europe that you can preorder from that will deliver to Australia? Really not interested in waiting until this thing is finally released in Australia.

Tried to pre-order from Amazon.de but wouldn't ship to an Australian address. It's still not listed on the UK Amazon site yet. Looks like all UHD blu-Ray will be region free so can buy the player from anywhere

just be careful re voltage depending where buy from...also keep in mind that while uhd is region free the accompanying discs depending on where you buy from could be region locked. additionally keep in mind cwts report that the pana does not do 3D for some bizarre reason ?

one option is to use a freight forwarder which is work around to purchase stuff from amazon if dont have an address they deliver to.

additionally keep in mind cwts report that the pana does not do 3D for some bizarre reason ?

Too bizarre to be true it seems! Cwt and I have now discussed this in a duplicate thread on the DMP-UB900. See for example post #9 of Sinclair's thread Panasonic 4K Blu-Ray Player.

• 2 weeks later...

It would hurt to get the panasonic and find sony [ rumoured to be coming] or oppo at the end of the year . Heres 2 sequential posts from bluray.com ; the "holidays" could mean end of the year ;thats standard US speak afaik .. Oppo never hurry things though :question:

Digital Bits Bill Hunt

"By the way, while we’re talking Ultra HD, I contacted our friends over at Oppo Digital to see if they have any plans for the format. As many of you know, Oppo players are favorite by a lot of people – especially industry insiders – for their quality and feature set. The bad news is that they have nothing to announce at this time. But the good news is that they are developing an Ultra HD Blu-ray player and hope to have one ready for shipping in time for the holidays. I’m told that they really want to take the time to get it right. So there to go." Bill Hunt

End of the year, hmmm. That will take some patience as the movies start coming out in March and Samsung for one will debut their UHD player same time. I have an Oppo 103 that I'm going to sell and use the money on the purchase of Oppo's UHD player but I don't want to wait till Christmas to watch UHD movies

It's early days yet, so unless the itch to get one is really killing you.. wait a while.. maybe even wait for Gen 2..

the pana has not even been released and already has a region free hack for blu-ray and dvd ... no mod kit required :)

http://www.regionfreedom.com/index.php/enhanced-firmware/panasonic-blu-ray-players/44-dmp-ub900/74-dmp-ub900-enhanced-firmware-1-02a-for-selected-models-eb-eg-gn

the pana has not even been released and already has a region free hack for blu-ray and dvd ... no mod kit required :)

http://www.regionfreedom.com/index.php/enhanced-firmware/panasonic-blu-ray-players/44-dmp-ub900/74-dmp-ub900-enhanced-firmware-1-02a-for-selected-models-eb-eg-gn

Software hacks whilst useful for a short time, often don't last long once firmware updates are made. Unless you don't update firmware, however this can reduce disc compatibility.

Hardware mods are not affected by firmware updates (generally speaking).

edit: hardware mods can often be removed for warranty claims/service too.

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by jsmith

Software hacks whilst useful for a short time, often don't last long once firmware updates are made. Unless you don't update firmware, however this can reduce disc compatibility.

Hardware mods are not affected by firmware updates (generally speaking).

edit: hardware mods can often be removed for warranty claims/service too.

JSmith :ninja:

my first ever DVD player ...it was a first gen machine released by toshiba...when bought it the store selling it told me ... do you want it for the australian region or region unlocked ? back then I didnt know ...we are talking the 90s here...all could think of was gee i havent even got the player and its going to have to be modded ? gee wasnt sure about that...all it was a a software hack applied by disc. to the day we stopped using it (it never died) it remained region free for DVD even with updates.

the same goes with other players have owned that were local release blu-ray players that were all software hacked for the local market. one had a hiccup...a pioneer that lost it one update but it was just matter of re doing it and it was good as gold. the ONLY player I had region hack fail was a hard ware modded player in an oppo 95. had the PRO mod ...guess what it would loose its region coding on firmware updates and that didnt just happen once ...had to be re applied by a separate region hack via usb :)

so yeah I suspect there will be plenty quite happy to take their chances on a hack...

what is amazing is that it is available already even before the player is :)

and that is not to say we may not have a hard ware hack as well !

Hardware hacks are no longer common these days...

And why go to all the trouble of importing a player when Panasonic is more than likely to release this model in Australia?

not common ? theres a whole string of blu-ray players you can get hardware hacks for ...soem can even fit yourself theres people will do for you. will uhd players get hardware hacks who knows ?

in the mean time great to know a software alternative is there even before the players release :)

no one is talking about importing a player. region free is really only relevant to dvd and blu-ray...which is handy even in a locally bought player...since it gives the option to play overseas region discs.

I for one have a few overseas region DVDs....and I know many dont just buy aussie region blu-rays. infact some of the uhd blu-rays I have bought have region A locked std blu-rays ...so a region hacked player that is uhd region free by default ...and that can also be made blu-ray and dvd region free with a hack (hard ware or software) is a handy thing.