yardley

panasonic 4k blueray player

yardley   

just ordered one of these from video pro.  cant wait to receive it as i already have afew 4k movies just gathering dust as i had no player...i think this player ticks all the boxes

Yep it's awesome - got mine from video pro on Tuesday :)

Particularly the image processing for those with sdr panels - transposing to hdr via chroma remapping works a treat if you screen is capable of native 10 bit colour processing. Of course if you have a HDR panel then it's a moot point. But it does remap all contents to 4:4:4 if your screen supports that format so its still a benefit. Make sure to dive into the settings !

Edited by Lil Caesar

gemini07   

Yep it's awesome - got mine from video pro on Tuesday :)

Particularly the image processing for those with sdr panels - transposing to hdr via chroma remapping works a treat if you screen is cabable of native 10 bit colour processing. Of course if you have a HDR panel then it's a moot point. But it does remap all contents to 4:4:4 if your screen supports that format so its still a benefit. Make sure to dive into the settings !

How well does your Pana do stereo reproduction, or is it too early to tell?

...I only use it to watch films so it's hdmi to my pre/pro for the surround sound bitstream.

The analogue outputs are meant to be quite reasonable as the player is marketed for its audio quality.

yardley   

had mine for about 1 month now and im glad i purchased it not the samsung. watched lucy  last night and the colours were so good and audio to

:) al   

To stream Netflix HDR from the UB900:

Settings > 4K/60p output > 4k/60p 4.4.4 > Start (if your hdmi cable support the bandwidth the ub900 will set to 4k/60p 4.4.4)

Once 4K/60p is set to 4.4.4 go to HOME > Network services > Netflix > Netflix settings > Reload app (once reloaded, you should be able to see 4K ultra hd content, but just a few shows are HDR) To test select Luke Cage, Dardevil... 

I hope this help...

a good note above re 4k HDR net fix streaming via the pana ub900 :)

powerav   
On 30/07/2016 at 10:29 AM, gemini07 said:

How well does your Pana do stereo reproduction, or is it too early to tell?

I got shut down and now completely ignored by someone for asking a similar question. :(

Against my better judgement, Too many players floating around at home, plus I use a Panasonic PVR on the same TV, could be issues with remotes.

I took advantage of the current 20% off sales and ordered one of these. Should pick it up on the way home.

I hope we get the Amazon Prime App.

Edited by Spearmint

4 minutes ago, Spearmint said:

Against my better judgement, I took advantage of the current 20% off sales and ordered one of these. Should pick it up on the way home.

I just hope we get the Amazon Prime App.

congrats spearmint, to be honest have seen the netflix app, but not the amazon one, but then have not gone looking, I note the review below says it has "amazon video"

"One last handy feature to mention here is that the UB900 carries a selection of ‘smart TV’ apps, including the BBC iPlayer and the 4K versions of Amazon Video and Netflix."
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmp-ub900-review#ZdcFVMlmqry3u4Pl.99

hope your experience is a trouble free one :D the 4k uhd path is not an easy one. but if any comfort the pana here is the most faultless player out there. i cant fault mine apart from dvd replay being a bit average. the rest just works...whcih is not something can say for all players out there right now :)

Thanks Al, the first issue will be getting it in the door :) I'm not sure what excuse to use for buying this one. :D

I haven't tried the player as yet, timing to bring it into the house hasn't eventuated. :D

I've reprogrammed the universal remote, made a couple of cable changes in readiness, just need to time the introduction!

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

You need to grow a pair spear!!emoji6.png

The issue is, it's not the only new toy I've purchased. If it were to go in the HT it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it is destined for the family room. Our daughter will be here soon from the US, plenty of opportunities to progressively introduce the goodies! :D

Edited by Spearmint

27 minutes ago, Spearmint said:

The issue is, it's not the only new toy I've purchased. If it were to go in the HT it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it is destined for the family room. Our daughter will be here soon from the US, plenty of opportunities to progressively introduce the goodies! :D

gosh spearmint the effort you go through ! :D

13 minutes ago, :) al said:

gosh spearmint the effort you go through ! :D

It has to do with the box count. One of the good lady wife pet hates is the number of boxes. If I were to swap one out, then it makes life much simpler. However whenever there is an increase, I need to tread very carefully :D

6 minutes ago, Spearmint said:

It has to do with the box count. One of the good lady wife pet hates is the number of boxes. If I were to swap one out, then it makes life much simpler. However whenever there is an increase, I need to tread very carefully :D

feel for you and understand as face the same challenge at times :D

Okay, the player is installed and running.

Connected via Yamaha AV receiver to TV and setup video to 4K (50/60p) 4:4:4. I don't have any UHD disks to test but Bluray are upscalled to 4K the same as the Panasonic PVR we also use.

There is one issue, both the PVR and Bluray player use the same remote codes, so will need to ensure I program the programmable remote to power off the other device whenever either is selected.

Will need to wait for next round of sales to consider buying a UHD movie or three to test if the system is working okay.

I haven't tried Netflix's, but a bit peeved Amazon Prime is not included in AU.

ah good to hear spearmint its in and working. hmmm maybe its a region thing with amazon prime. not sure how you get that here. its one of the problem wiht these players and how these things are added as apps. the oppo 203 has no access to these sort of things, cant remember if I saw amazon prime on the samsung uhd player it definitely had netflix though. we tend to use netflix either via the apple tv or the fetch mighty

hmm interesting dilemma on the two players with the same code, can you code change on the player or the pvr. I cant rememember if the pana player had that option though not sure what that will do for the universal remote.

uhd movies theres some good ones, and yes sales all the time. at one stage they were having 20% off and then if you were on their mailing list another 10% on top again so good bargains. some are quite cheap now but as always some more worth getting in UHD than others.

the BBC planet earth uhd is a stunner, some really punchy saturated rich colours great detail etc, being into photography might like it if into the nature shows,  

I took some hand held screen shots below not that prob do justice but might give some clues,

Thanks Al,

Yes, the Panasonic has 6 remote codes, so will change one of them over the weekend.

The Samsung may have the Amazon Prime app as it appears Samsung TV's in AU have it. I guess if Amazon want to restrict their apps they'll also restrict their users :)

Well that theory went out the window, now I have no idea how to change the remote code. I followed the instructions and everything goes fine until nothing happens. So I do a google search and is gives the same instruction, plus you need to push the setup button to save and exit. Guess what all 3 of my Panasonic remotes, none have a setup button.

At the rate my patience is going, this could be destined for the tip! :(

hmmm...thats sounds like the fetch tv remote thats supposed to operate the telly and no matter what code bung into it .. it wont ! 

your remote is not unique...mine doesnt have a setup button either :D  maybe thats the key ... you gotta press the button you dont have ... the mystery button.

are you game to ring panasonic support ? am not sure am that brave after my last encounter ! 

I noticed this below in google,

"Press and hold the "OK" button and the number corresponding to your selected code for at least five seconds to activate the code. For example, press the "2" button and the "OK" button if you are activating Code 2. Consult the device's manual to obtain your selected code."

and this one with one of the comments down below saying the ok and 2 somehow worked ?

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/My-Panasonic-Blu-ray-Player-Remote-Also-Controls-my-DVD-Recorder-How-to-Fix.shtml

anyways good luck ! 

Tweaky   

I know your pain, I hate having a remote that will turn on/off or what ever, two different pieces of gear.

I have the same shuffle each time I go to turn my Sony PJ on with the remote, it will turn the Sony TV on as well, I then go to turn the TV off and it will also turn off the PJ ....I have to switch outputs via the HT amp, then physically go turn the TV off.

I had set it up with different SCENES previously, which worked OK, but I have since changed all the inputs of the various source gear, and really can't be buggered doing all again as it's probably going to change again soon anyway.