Marantz AVR 7005 Preamp Processor

So my processor went on the fritz, first the optical input dropped out then the HDMI inputs, ran the auto calibration and couldn't get past the first speaker

I was thinking it might be the switched mode power supply, but regardless I'm looking for advise as to who to take to too in Melbourne. Would welcome any ideas, i have cleared the memory and unplugged it . On second thoughts given that I can run through the menus it must something else.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

could be anything really deano, who knows... I dont think the av7005 has a switched mode supply .... pretty sure it runs a toroidal and several other power supplies. 

not being able to get past first measurement could be due to other things...

can you see all the speakers ? have you run a manual level check ? check sound comes out of every channel ?

So my processor went on the fritz, first the optical input dropped out then the HDMI inputs, ran the auto calibration and couldn't get past the first speaker

I was thinking it might be the switched mode power supply, but regardless I'm looking for advise as to who to take to too in Melbourne. Would welcome any ideas, i have cleared the memory and unplugged it . On second thoughts given that I can run through the menus it must something else.

Yes Betty ran the manual check no sound out. Thinking about hooking up my Oppo through the direct inputs turning off Audssey. Might take the lid off tomorrow post a pic or two.

Yes Betty ran the manual check no sound out. Thinking about hooking up my Oppo through the direct inputs turning off Audssey. Might take the lid off tomorrow post a pic or two.

keep in mind ... no sound can also mean issue down stream... connectors/cables/hookup/speakers/amp.....

I wouldn't necessarily be jumping to pulling covers off just yet ! 

keep in mind ... no sound can also mean issue down stream... connectors/cables/hookup/speakers/amp.....

I wouldn't necessarily be jumping to pulling covers off just yet !

Going to wire the Oppo into my Anthem tomorrow am. Pretty sure it's not that though, the front left and right go to my stereo power amp and that's working. Anyway, still going to need a tech to take a look. I noticed last week the Marantz display was intermittently dimming then brightening , that's what made me think power supply. In hind sight I probably should have put it through my tortech then.

Going to wire the Oppo into my Anthem tomorrow am. Pretty sure it's not that though, the front left and right go to my stereo power amp and that's working. Anyway, still going to need a tech to take a look. I noticed last week the Marantz display was intermittently dimming then brightening , that's what made me think power supply. In hind sight I probably should have put it through my tortech then.

doesnt sound healthy ! if dimming like that ....

I dont think anything user serviceable with these things. so would be a tech thing. i see in vic, qualifi is actually have found very good service wise. i hope nothing major unfortunately 7005 getting on a bit now and if cost too much might be borderline whether worth it to fix :(

• Like 1

doesnt sound healthy ! if dimming like that ....

I dont think anything user serviceable with these things. so would be a tech thing. i see in vic, qualifi is actually have found very good service wise. i hope nothing major unfortunately 7005 getting on a bit now and if cost too much might be borderline whether worth it to fix :(

I understand that. But to me that a $2000 or thereabouts electronic device doesn't last longer than 5 to 6 year's is ludricous. It was only after the event that I began to notice that Marantz seemed to bring out a new model every 15 mins. They rank second to Apple in obsolescence. Last Marantz anything I will buy. Grumble over, lol.

I understand that. But to me that a $2000 or thereabouts electronic device doesn't last longer than 5 to 6 year's is ludricous. It was only after the event that I began to notice that Marantz seemed to bring out a new model every 15 mins. They rank second to Apple in obsolescence. Last Marantz anything I will buy. Grumble over, lol.

oh its not that a $2k device doesnt last. things do fail unfortunately.... its just that av gear plummets in value  and the 7005 while adequate for probably many peoples uses and have no problem recommending it unfortunately more than a few gen old in capability. 5 to 6 years in av land is an eternity sorry to say...

its nothing to do with marantz or anything....just the fast paced rate of development and cant hold back progress. as a heads up my marantz 8802 for instance they brought out and then an update to keep abreast... my previous denon processor I used over 8 ! years and kept getting updates but then they both cost such a lot ! and I mean quite a lot !  price pay...does it mean some new tech break through might come out next year that means my processor is no longer at forefront... probably ...and I wouldn't blame marantz for making sure they then updated with a new processor...they have to ... to stay at the forefront themselves... or be left behind :)

never know in any case ? it might just be  simple fix...

...have you tried any of the obvious ? like full processor resets. do multiples.... complete power down for say 2hours ? maybe even try over night to clear any gremlins..... have you done a google to see if a common fault or fault someone else has seen ?

• Like 1

oh its not that a $2k device doesnt last. things do fail unfortunately.... its just that av gear plummets in value and the 7005 while adequate for probably many peoples uses and have no problem recommending it unfortunately more than a few gen old in capability. 5 to 6 years in av land is an eternity sorry to say...

its nothing to do with marantz or anything....just the fast paced rate of development and cant hold back progress. as a heads up my marantz 8802 for instance they brought out and then an update to keep abreast... my previous denon processor I used over 8 ! years and kept getting updates but then they both cost such a lot ! and I mean quite a lot ! price pay...does it mean some new tech break through might come out next year that means my processor is no longer at forefront... probably ...and I wouldn't blame marantz for making sure they then updated with a new processor...they have to ... to stay at the forefront themselves... or be left behind :)

never know in any case ? it might just be simple fix...

...have you tried any of the obvious ? like full processor resets. do multiples.... complete power down for say 2hours ? maybe even try over night to clear any gremlins..... have you done a google to see if a common fault or fault someone else has seen ?

Memory cleaned, unplugged for twenty or so hour's. Going to plug it in first thing tomorrow morning fire it up and see what happens. In respect of the other, I think I got about two or three updates on the firmware in it's life. Yes I understand the progress or die philosophy for manufacturing , but I seem to recall a few remarks made in a review about Marantz bringing out "new model's " before the glued had dried on the stickers of the old ones. Anyway I'll give an update asap.

In terms of it being obsolete, the idea is to be prepared to wait for major step changes before upgrading and try to get about 3 to 4 years out of a mid priced AV receiver/processor or maybe 6 to 8 years out of a flagship model with the odd add on along the way.

My big step changes was Dolby pro-logic/Dolby Digital/DTS 6.1 with component switching, Dolby HD 7.1 with hdmi 1.4, the next step for me will be in a couple of years for Dolby ATMOS 5.4.1 with 4K and current hdmi standard.

I'm certain in two years time there will be some other development that will make the current setups obsolete, I tend to put more money into speakers and amplifier quality with a greater focus on 2ch sound with HT I'm prepared to come along for the ride but usually lag the latest and greatest feature.

I agree a quality piece of AV equipment should not fail within 5 years of ownership, maybe a basic cheap version only 3 to 4 years.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

In terms of it being obsolete, the idea is to be prepared to wait for major step changes before upgrading and try to get about 3 to 4 years out of a mid priced AV receiver/processor or maybe 6 to 8 years out of a flagship model with the odd add on along the way.

My big step changes was Dolby pro-logic/Dolby Digital/DTS 6.1 with component switching, Dolby HD 7.1 with hdmi 1.4, the next step for me will be in a couple of years for Dolby ATMOS 5.4.1 with 4K and current hdmi standard.

I'm certain in two years time there will be some other development that will make the current setups obsolete, I tend to put more money into speakers and amplifier quality with a greater focus on 2ch sound with HT I'm prepared to come along for the ride but usually lag the latest and greatest feature.

I agree a quality piece of AV equipment should not fail within 5 years of ownership, maybe a basic cheap version only 3 to 4 years.

JDH

Obselesence is guaranteed as manufacturers strive to introduce new wiz bang new theatre modes. What annoyed me that "yes a $2000 A/V surround processor should not fail within 5 years" regardless of flagship status or otherwise. The irony is I'm using my Oppo Rca outs utilizing the volume control and the HDMI swithing and enjoying it immensely. Thinking about using my minidsp and REW to equalize everything HT. I doubt I will purchase another Marantz product the thing was a constant headache.

Obselesence is guaranteed as manufacturers strive to introduce new wiz bang new theatre modes. What annoyed me that "yes a $2000 A/V surround processor should not fail within 5 years" regardless of flagship status or otherwise. The irony is I'm using my Oppo Rca outs utilizing the volume control and the HDMI swithing and enjoying it immensely. Thinking about using my minidsp and REW to equalize everything HT. I doubt I will purchase another Marantz product the thing was a constant headache.

in another thread we had how oppo analog outputs were kaput, I dont really think anything is immune to failure. whether an oppo or marantz things can fail. its why makers provide a warranty, there is statutory warranty and why service centres exist.

but at end of it though ... what ever makes you happy...

• Like 1

in another thread we had how oppo analog outputs were kaput, I dont really think anything is immune to failure. whether an oppo or marantz things can fail. its why makers provide a warranty, there is statutory warranty and why service centres exist.

but at end of it though ... what ever makes you happy...

Agreed, lol. I will get it checked out and fixed. But I'm the type of bloke that hates selling thing's I know is a ticking time bomb and would hate to pass it on to some unsuspecting poor person just to make a quick buck. So really that's the source of my grief. I was just surprised that taking it out of the loop hasn't really been such a big loss.

Agreed, lol. I will get it checked out and fixed. But I'm the type of bloke that hates selling thing's I know is a ticking time bomb and would hate to pass it on to some unsuspecting poor person just to make a quick buck. So really that's the source of my grief. I was just surprised that taking it out of the loop hasn't really been such a big loss.

well there'd be no way I'd be taking my processor "out the loop" but whatever suits your need. 

the thing is 5-6 years old now its possible it will develop some faults as gets older. if did get fixed you could sell it as working though yeah theres no guarantees it wouldn't fail for some other reasons ? there are no guarantees with this kind of thing. after all it is second hand and used and getting older and exactly why things sell a lot cheaper in that case given out of any sort of warranty than say if it was brand new from the shop.

• Like 1