Qwertyqaz

Wireless IP Camera for Home

37 posts in this topic

I'am for the lookout of an IP camera with decent resolution and a very good app for iphone.
So I can view my place when I'am away, any part of the world.
Also need some local storage with smarts to record when there is motion detection or overwriting after few days, etc

Again, don't want to spend much on a state of the art solution as I will only use it when I travel and put it back for the rest of the time.

These are a really simple solution:

https://ring.com/stickupcam

It integrates with my existing Ring doorbell which is convenient in my application.

3 people like this

These are a really simple solution:

It integrates with my existing Ring doorbell which is convenient in my application.

Hows the doorbell going? Reliable?

Yes actually. I love it!
I had one fail weeks after buying it, but they sent me a new one out no questions asked and it has been flawless for over a year I think.

It's great when no ones home and a courier rings the bell. I can talk to them and organise to leave it in a safe place.

2 people like this

Its a little too dear for a solution that's only temporary.

Any further recommendations?

Well, I am going to give this product a try but only the camera's. don't need a doorbell.

Should only need 4 cameras around the place to cover everything.

Have had no issues to date but I tell you what, if one has a day off and is just doing stuff quietly inside, it's interesting to see what goes on when you usually aren't home.

1 person likes this

I have considered the ring doorbell and your product for a while.Handy to know when a courier has left a vinyl record on the front step  during the day.Will the real time camera work with your iphone when at work as is or do you need a registration and pay a monthly fee to access??

Stump

Just now, Stump said:

I have considered the ring doorbell and your product for a while.Handy to know when a courier has left a vinyl record on the front step  during the day.Will the real time camera work with your iphone when at work as is or do you need a registration and pay a monthly fee to access??

Stump

Same, we can't hear our existing video doorbell from the backyard or from the home theatre so this seems the best option if reliable.

44 minutes ago, blybo said:

Same, we can't hear our existing video doorbell from the backyard or from the home theatre so this seems the best option if reliable.

we just plugged an older version one of these upstairs and one down stairs near the back door, so no chance not hearing the door bell,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-white-plug-in-long-range-door-bell_p4063759

been working no issue 12+ years the door bell button has a battery that has yet needed changing.... the others are mains powered so fit and forget. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

we just plugged an older version one of these upstairs and one down stairs near the back door, so no chance not hearing the door bell,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-white-plug-in-long-range-door-bell_p4063759

been working no issue 12+ years the door bell button has a battery that has yet needed changing.... the others are mains powered so fit and forget. 

Arh, but that can't tell you it's a hawker/charity/mormon at the front door

4 minutes ago, blybo said:

Arh, but that can't tell you it's a hawker/charity/mormon at the front door

true it only solves the hearing issue....

the hawker/charity/mormon we tell to faff off.. :D

20 hours ago, Stump said:

Stump

There is a annual (per device) charge of $40 for your 'Çloud recording plan'.

-Edit, might have to do some more research, those costs will add up after a few years with, say three or four cameras.

Edited by Darren69

The other problem with the Ring, is that you can't simply access the camera when you want. There has to be a trigger (motion, or press of doorbell). That's not entirely clear to would be buyers. We ended up putting CCTV around our entire home anyway, so not an issue for us.

The other thing worth mentioning is that we have ADSL2 here, and like most, it's terrible. I find our upload speed is not quick enough to watch live video with audio when you're out and about and the doorbell goes off. I imagine in other countries this wouldn't be an issue, but in AU for those not on NBN yet, it is an issue.

23 hours ago, Darren69 said:

This looks interesting-

http://www.sengled.com.au/shop-sengled/snap/

also music stuff there too if one is inclined to go to the home page. :)

That does look interesting. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

1 person likes this

On ?17?/?12?/?2016 at 8:43 AM, Darren69 said:

This looks interesting-

http://www.sengled.com.au/shop-sengled/snap/

also music stuff there too if one is inclined to go to the home page. :)

Cloud storage for this device (Sengled SNAP) is $5 per device per 30 days so RING cloud storage is cheaper.

RING annually per device - $40

SNAP annually per device- $60.

Meh, bit the bullet and got an 8 camera Swann set up and will simply take my time routing cables. :P

$575 from Harvey Norman.

1 person likes this

@Darren69Do you want to come and do mine, thinking along the same lines.

Edited by Point source
1 person likes this

My solution certainly wasn't cost effective, but reliable.

I went with Foscam Domes all around the perimeter running from a POE switch, on a X day cycle recording running from Synology's built-in Surveillance Station.

It's been great. Vic Pol enjoyed me having this facility recently when I was asked to provide surveillance footage of what my cameras had recorded of a particular procession of vehicles that had entered our estate one evening. The cameras by chance also capture the only two entry/exit points of our estate.

There's one WiFi connected camera in the system too, but that one seems to drop in and off the network too frequently.

30 minutes ago, Sime said:

2 caveats with the Arlo solution, batteries arent cheap and you need to tweak the sensor's where the camera's are placed to get the best battery life/performance ratio.  Otherwise, in a high traffic area, your batteries will last for a month or two at the most.   There's a POE version that's slightly pricier but IMO, works much better (ie no batteries to worry about)  But then since its POE, you'll need a POE switch and long CAT5e/6 Ethernet cables. 

Since the OP stated that it will be used when away on holidays/travel, then the Arlo is a simple no brainer.

Edited by katattack74

3 hours ago, katattack74 said:

Since the OP stated that it will be used when away on holidays/travel, then the Arlo is a simple no brainer.

Wow, it's more expensive than I had expected.

But they are good. 

1 hour ago, Sime said:

But they are good. 

Bit locked into Netgear's own solutions though. Something at that price point that can't use a NAS to record is a bit offputting.

Does look a good product other than that though.

Edited by Mr_Gimlet

@Mr_Gimlet hell, I'm an Apple fanboy, so………………