HQPlayer DSD512 and T+A DAC8 DSD - Melbourne users?

Hi everyone,

Just seeing if anyone is using HQPlayer to resample PCM to DSD. Specifically DSD512.

I've had the T+A DSD DAC8 for about a month now and have a ROON server with an i7-6700 CPU to run HQP.

I've not been able to get the PCM to DSD resampling to give me the audio shivers people have been talking about with DSD512. So just seeing if anyone is using HQP to do PCM to DSD resampling and would like to do some listening sessions on DSD512 via ROON/HQP with your PC hardware. Coz mine isn't doing it.

FWIW, my favourite settings for the DAC is up sampling to 384k using poly-sinc-mp/NS5 settings on HQP.

Interesting, have heard positive things about this dac from friends overseas. Did not realise it was available locally - where did you get it from?

Be interested to hear more impressions on how it sounds.

Whats the issue with your computer/server?

Interesting, have heard positive things about this dac from friends overseas. Did not realise it was available locally - where did you get it from?

Be interested to hear more impressions on how it sounds.

Whats the issue with your computer/server?

Audio Connection.

I'm not getting the same audio wow as reports from overseas suggest with resampling to DSD512 - want to see if its my PC or something else.

The only component that is different from what most are using is I have a i7-6700 and others are using a i7-6700K which has a slightly higher clock speed.

But since my CPU is at around 40% utilisation when doing DSD512 I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue.

Cant imagine a processor difference like that would have much impact on sound quality.

Its kind of mind boggling that you need so much processing power to play audio with HQP.

How does the PCM part of the dac sound? What were you using before?

Cant imagine a processor difference like that would have much impact on sound quality.

Its kind of mind boggling that you need so much processing power to play audio with HQP.

DSD resampling with HQP takes a lot of CPU.

The PCM part is excellent. I was using an Auralic Vega before, but I didn't do any detailed AB comparisons between it and the T+A before I sold it.

• Like 1

The processing power is to upsample PCM to DSD 512 on the fly. Not a trivial matter. 

You don't necesarily need the super high power for HQP - depends what you are asking it to do. In general, upsampling any PCM to any DSD is fairly processor intensive. But DSD 512 can't be done on the fly without a very powerful PC. 

Edited by firedog
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is dsd512 worth the effort?

Excellent question.

Still on the journey. I'd say that a DAC that can do PCM 384 and a well built ROON+HQP server that can uprez to 384 will get you fantastic sound. Something I'd be happy to listen to for hours.

To get DSD512 sounding better you'll need a well designed PC to run HQP. Not just a fast CPU, but a really good power supply, optimised Windows operating system, separate power for the SSD, separate power for the USB, etc. I'm about to get a linear power supply for the motherboard and CPU, I've rigged up battery power for the SSD and tuned the PC with AudiophileOptimizer and Fidelizer Pro.

Of course these tweaks will also make PCM 384 sound better too, but DSD512 is a destination that "might" be worthwhile, I'm not sure yet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that it is definitely worth the effort. I'm upsampling everything to DSD512 from my CAPSv4 Pipeline server and across the board I'm loving everything I play through it.

Are you running HQP on the Pipleline and doing upsampling there, or do you have another PC that is doing the upsampling?

Are you running HQP on the Pipleline and doing upsampling there, or do you have another PC that is doing the upsampling?

I'm running RoonServer and HQP on the Win10 AO-optimized Pipeline with Process Lasso, and RoonRemote on my iPad Pro as a control point. Poly-sinc-short-mp-2s and ASDM7 are my HQP filter settings. All 4 cores on the Intel Xeon E3 1241 Haswell chip in the Pipeline run at around 30% load and mid-to-high 60's core temps while upsampling everything to DSD512.

Edited by EdmontonCanuck
  • Like 1

Dumb question, what are the settings required in HQplayer to convert PCM to DSD ?

In the main window there are 4 dropdown boxes that you use to configure playback. The first one is the filter/oversampling selection where you select the filter you want to use. The second is the dither/noise shaping/modulator selection. The third is sample rate selection where you can specifiy the max sample rate you want performed, and the last is the output mode where you specify whether you want PCM or SDM (DSD) to be output.

Search for "hqplayer manual" and you'll easily find a link to a pdf version of the manual that you can browse.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2016 at 8:04 AM, EdmontonCanuck said:

In the main window there are 4 dropdown boxes that you use to configure playback. The first one is the filter/oversampling selection where you select the filter you want to use. The second is the dither/noise shaping/modulator selection. The third is sample rate selection where you can specifiy the max sample rate you want performed, and the last is the output mode where you specify whether you want PCM or SDM (DSD) to be output.

Search for "hqplayer manual" and you'll easily find a link to a pdf version of the manual that you can browse.

What is the cpu impact you if you drop the PCM to DSD conversion to a lower DSD output value?  Assuming someone has a less powerful computer than yourself?

• 3 months later...

I have had the T + A DAC DSD for around 6 weeks now.

Very similar setup to the OP.

I run Roon server and HQPlayer on a powerful i7-6700 CPU PC in the study, wired connection to MacMini acting as an endpoint running the HQPlayer NAA. All output converted to DSD512. Uses around 30% CPU. Sounds fantastic!

However... for background listening / parties etc. I will often instead either use JRiver MC on the MacMini or Roon on the MacMini as an endpoint. Is more stable than the HQPlayer setup - which can be "fragile".

One frustrating aspect.... the HQPlayer "chain" can fall apart if either the DAC is turned off and on or another software player takes over exclusive access. Then the NAA needs to be restarted and reselected in HQPlayer - this is annoying.

Overall, I am delighted with this DAC. I just wish the HQPlayer chain wasn't so "fragile".....

• Like 1

Still loving mine. All early bugs now ironed out. Roon/HQPlayer and SSD is now powered by an Uptone JS2 - does DSD512 very clean.

5 hours ago, Eternaloptimist said:

wired connection to MacMini acting as an endpoint running the HQPlayer NAA

How do you get DSD512 from a Mac to the T+A? I thought you can only do DSD512 from the native Windows drivers.

8 hours ago, syd said:

Still loving mine. All early bugs now ironed out. Roon/HQPlayer and SSD is now powered by an Uptone JS2 - does DSD512 very clean.

How do you get DSD512 from a Mac to the T+A? I thought you can only do DSD512 from the native Windows drivers.

MacMini is bootcamped to Windows 10. :D  I like the Mac hardware, just find OSX frustrating.

You are correct, though, cannot do DSD512 with OSX.

Glad you have the bugs ironed out. I am seriously considering a second endpoint into the DAC for other players as the "chain" with HQPlayer in it breaks easily if any other player is used...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eternaloptimist said:

the "chain" with HQPlayer in it breaks easily if any other player is used...

I've found mine reliable unless the Roon/HQP PC goes to sleep; or if the DAC is turned off. Then it loses connection to the DAC. This requires both to be power cycled. 

7 hours ago, syd said:

I've found mine reliable unless the Roon/HQP PC goes to sleep; or if the DAC is turned off. Then it loses connection to the DAC. This requires both to be power cycled. 

Yes, this is exactly my situation. I typically have PCs set to sleep at midnight and wake at 0600 (via task scheduler). I also don't leave the DAC on. 

If the DAC is turned off, have to restart the NAA... frustrating.  Roon as an endpoint on the MacMini and JRiver on the MacMini seem to be able to find the DAC again!

7 minutes ago, Eternaloptimist said:

sleep at midnight and wake at 0600

If you did a full shutdown at midnight and a start at 6; and out an AC timer on your DAC to power up 5 min before the PC you should be good. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...