Epson HDR 4k projectors

looks like epson has brought out their range of HDR projectors with 4K capability for UHD blu-ray.

epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-800.jpg

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/New-Epson-Home-Theater-Projectors-Do-4K-and-HDR-Starting-Under-3-000.shtml

very affordably priced.... a bit more output than the jvcs. good to see isf support for calibration, and an upgrade to the optics with all glass elements plus a 4k wireless option which people will appreciate in getting signal across to the projector without a cable.

they follow jvc with the native 1080p panel thats shifted to create a 4k image. I imagine will be just as effective as the jvc in that regard without the massive cost of a native 4k panels.

having owned a couple of epsons myself before my last two jvcs. have no doubt the epson will be a very good lower cost option. probably not quite like the jvcs in contrast for 2D. but probably just as if not better for 3D and probably a step ahead in the HDR capability with a bit more output they achieve :)

• Like 3

I'm a bit dubious about using a 1080p panel to create 4K? Is it not just very good 1080p? It sounds similar to saying that a 1080p panel has now been released that can do 4K? The processor might be able to create 4K but it's shown on a 1080p panel?

I also hope that the WirelessHD function does support 4K when they use true 4K panels. As I currently use it with my TW8000 projector. Works well for 1080p no issues at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a bit dubious about using a 1080p panel to create 4K? Is it not just very good 1080p? It sounds similar to saying that a 1080p panel has now been released that can do 4K? The processor might be able to create 4K but it's shown on a 1080p panel?

I also hope that the WirelessHD function does support 4K when they use true 4K panels. As I currently use it with my TW8000 projector. Works well for 1080p no issues at all

not really, nothing dubious about it. probably have to put your pre conceptions aside, I use the jvc that utilises a similar system that was co developed with them NHK engineers, and the tech can do upto 8k as per below,

http://www.pmaresearch.com/pma-blogs/jvc-announces-8k-resolution-projector-with-e-shift-technology/

the idea with using two 1080p panels is its a LOT and I mean a LOT more cheaper than a full native 4k system. just see how expensive and I mean ridiculously expense the sony native 4k projectors are .... and yet there have been group comparisons e.g. by kris deering where he has organised to compare top line sony native 4k vs jvc and there is stuff all in it.

reality is 4k in the home is probably bit of a red herring anyways ..... very unlikely you will even sit anywhere near the actual distance required and with a scale and setup at beyond imax thats required to fully resolve. very unlikely you will ever even get native 4k material delivered to your screen. please dont be fooled with 4k chips by the way...you can buy a smart phone these days with a 4k chip it doesnt mean you are getting 4k images... the same thing can happen even if they fitted a native 4k chip in a projector :) there are other aspects such as optics, processing etc

the benefits of uhd are far beyond that with wider colour gamut and HDR. so has been my experience so far anyways with the dozen or so discs have watched so far. probably first time we are probably seeing real 2k actually when keep in mind mtf and nyquist for losses :)

I dare say epson like jvc have been very smart about it, not going the full 4k native path. which will get you benefit of uhd without the ridiculous cost if they had gone otherwise.

Valid point about the seating distance. I just scrape in with my 1080p set up when I was looking at the max/min seating distance. (I used a link you provided Al some years back now)

I think you hit the nail on the head when talking about seeing true 2K images.

My comment was probably more at the marketing hype that went around with 4K which isn't being measured on the same axis as 1080p!

Edited by roh008
  • Like 1

It's got me thinking, the higher the resolution is, the closer we need to sit to resolve the detail. But most people are at a fixed distance from the screen. So they are better off focussing on the HDR and other aspects rather than increasing pixel count? This could be why JVC and Epson are using the technology you have highlighted above. There is no real world benefit in the home environment from the 4K aspect but from the other aspects such as improved dynamic range etc..

• Like 1

It's got me thinking, the higher the resolution is, the closer we need to sit to resolve the detail. But most people are at a fixed distance from the screen. So they are better off focussing on the HDR and other aspects rather than increasing pixel count? This could be why JVC and Epson are using the technology you have highlighted above. There is no real world benefit in the home environment from the 4K aspect but from the other aspects such as improved dynamic range etc..

perhaps have pointed you to this before , but the article on The truth about 2k, 4k and beyond written by john galt of panavision....

https://library.creativecow.net/galt_john/John_Galt_2K_4K_Truth_About_Pixels/1

cuts through all the hype and cr@p you hear bandied about. I think a good move you have set up for 2k. am the same, my system fully resolves for 2k. at thx spec for immersion. and in my opinion that is a good thing to aim for.

the bulk of material we watch these days wouldn't even be 1k ! true 2k is rare in itself. setting up for 4k will just have you watching bulk of stuff in less than ideal conditions :) and will be the case for most I suspect with your typical lounge room and homely setups even if they are dedicated rooms etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Do you have any idea when the new model will be released in Australia? I was looking at the tw9200w but now i will hang of for the new model to arrive. All the YouTube reviews ive watched say August - September but im assuming thats US. The wireless model will suit my requirements perfectly!

Just quick update, i rang Epson today and as you would expect they had now idea when the model would be released in Australia or the RRP... Did a bit more of a ring around and a supplier informed me that they should be here by the end of the month but could not confirm a price. They have my details so i will let you know when the call comes through.

• Like 2

I'd wait for a definitive review from the likes of Projector Central first.

As much as I'd like this PJ to be a giant killer, I still have reservations

I've been watching this thread since it started, read through the entire AVS thread on this PJ as well [wow, talk about going off topic ]

The things that interest me about this PJ is it's playback of 3D Titles ... Plus Gaming.....I like playing some games over the PJ, Wipeout HD raced in cockpit /1st person view used to  be a favorite, so if this Epson is fast enough to do gaming, it's got a good chance of ending up installed at my place soon.

Apparently Epson's Laser PJ will get a update after this PJ hits the stores ......things that make you go Hmmm !

Ok with a bit more online research ive come up with the Australian model number and even a dealer with a price. Epson TW-9300 4k enhanced projector with a price tag of $4799.00! This is a bit higher than i was expecting even give previous prices were US$$$. Here,s a link for you all to check out but at just under 5k might be stretching my budget a little.

http://www.rio.com.au/product/epson-tw-9300-4k-enhanced-cinema-projector

al you by all account are the "Projector Guru" what are your thoughts?

Speaking to Rio today mentioning my previous interest in the TW-9200W they were quick to point out a BenQ model for consideration that out performs the TW-9200W. BenQ wasn't even a consideration but they also informed me it comes with a wireless option and literally thousands cheaper...

http://www.rio.com.au/product/benq-w1110-home-cinema-projector

Ok with a bit more online research ive come up with the Australian model number and even a dealer with a price. Epson TW-9300 4k enhanced projector with a price tag of $4799.00! This is a bit higher than i was expecting even give previous prices were US$$$. Here,s a link for you all to check out but at just under 5k might be stretching my budget a little.

http://www.rio.com.au/product/epson-tw-9300-4k-enhanced-cinema-projector

al you by all account are the "Projector Guru" what are your thoughts?

Speaking to Rio today mentioning my previous interest in the TW-9200W they were quick to point out a BenQ model for consideration that out performs the TW-9200W. BenQ wasn't even a consideration but they also informed me it comes with a wireless option and literally thousands cheaper...

http://www.rio.com.au/product/benq-w1110-home-cinema-projector

not sure on the projector guru bit ! :D 

but having owned a 9000 series epson...I can tell you the RIO guy is ON DRUGS.... what ever it is ... he needs to stop as its having him hallucinating. the benq mentioned is at best a get by type projector. great and everything actually quite good for 3D but in overall picture quality I wouldn't go as far as saying better than a 9200 ! 

the 9200 I have a lot of respect for. I owned prior to the jvc x35. I can tell you for the money the epson was VERY good ! 3D wise it actually excelled over the jvc. I'd take the epson over the budget benq any day. 

re the 9200W epson though ... I wouldn't get one today... I think tech wise can do much better....whether a 2 gen older jvc e.g. the X35 or previous gen jvc would be a better buy for the money.

the new 9300 at $4799..... well it might be the cheapest 4k projector right now... but heck thats a bit of cash for an epson ! 

as a note probably find they get discounted back to 3 something perhaps and then they make a bit of sense :)

check out what can buy a jvc x5000 for e.g. with oztheatre... might be a better buy rather than $4799 on the epson ?

• Like 1

Why do these projectors keep on getting bigger and bigger, they are starting the resemble the vacuumed tube type projectors of the late 1980s early 1990s. Maybe it's the angle of the photo but the new 9300 is a lot bigger looking than the 9200 and the 9200 is bigger than previous models, not exactly a great WAF, at least there is still an option that is not black.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

Why do these projectors keep on getting bigger and bigger, they are starting the resemble the vacuumed tube type projectors of the late 1980s early 1990s. Maybe it's the angle of the photo but the new 9300 is a lot bigger looking than the 9200 and the 9200 is bigger than previous models, not exactly a great WAF, at least there is still an option that is not black.

JDH

its actually a good thing... the bigger the casing the better the cooling ability...the better the longevity... the reason they need to go bigger in case is the larger output capability projectors are having to go to...

it started with 3D ...hence the 9000 series epson took a jump up from say the 5500 series prior....and HDR demands a lot more output as well hence the 9300 going up from the 9200....

check out the laser projectors if you think these bulb projectors are big...the lasers need even more cooling ... hence bigger cases again...

e.g. with the jvcs...its all good their case they jumped upto with the x series some years ago was big enough could take the larger output lamp needed for HDR and have hence stayed the same :)

So I guess there is no chance of swapping out my tiny Epson TW-700 (only 720p), with a new 9300 or similar from say JVC unnoticed :(

JDH

with even the previous 9000 range, like the JVCs these are BIG projectors and you need a decent ceiling or wall mount like the peerless geared mounts. 

once mounted up on the ceiling or back wall they tend to then go un noticed ... after a while :D 

Al, ive done a bit more research and honestly checking out the new BenQ W3000 looks very good for a sub 3k projector. This wasnt the original BenQ that was suggested to me. Unfortunately my budget isnt going to stretch to the 5k+ market at this stage. DLP vs LCD is always going to have its pros and cons. Back to the TW9300 a youtube video i watched albeit in german compared the 9200 along side it and there was a huge difference!

Al, ive done a bit more research and honestly checking out the new BenQ W3000 looks very good for a sub 3k projector. This wasnt the original BenQ that was suggested to me. Unfortunately my budget isnt going to stretch to the 5k+ market at this stage. DLP vs LCD is always going to have its pros and cons. Back to the TW9300 a youtube video i watched albeit in german compared the 9200 along side it and there was a huge difference!

the 3000 benq is probably quite a different proposition to the 1100 ! benq have made some good projectors in the past. as wiht anything if in no rush wait.... see these kind of things in person to make mind up. one thing cant conclude from reading things is what something is going to look like ! 

i somehow doubt the epson will end up a $5k + proposition if it does its probably not going to do very well in the market place I would suggest ! 

have no doubt the 9300 likely quite a jump up from the 9200....keep in mind the 9200 not greatly different to the original 9000 which is quite an old design now... things have come a long way tech wise. 

just wait up...no rush... this kind of thing ... there is just more choice with time and prices only drop ... dont go up :)

True i know not to be in a rush but this has been in the pipeline for the last 6 months and once i got wind there was a new epson coming out i delayed my purchase. Understandably the 9300 will most likely be around $4500.... then as you pointed out for another $500+ you can get a better JVC so i guess its just a matter of drawing a line in the sand at this point in time and wait a few more year and see what technology brings and make a upgrade then. As always theres always something bigger and better just around the corner!

Edited by Paul72

Regarding PJ size, the comments above make me laugh, if only you knew what has gone before.

These PJ's, even the biggest, baddest one from any manufacturer is at least 800% smaller and lighter than any NEC /SONY 3 lens CRT PJ that I have ever run.

The lightest NES PG90 I even owned weighed in at 65KG.

Try Ceiling mounting one of those big boys, and they were the lightweights of the CRT PJ world.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

google translate of the cine4home test of the new epson HDR 4k projector,

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cine4home.de%2Ftests%2Fprojektoren%2Fepson_eh-tw-9300_w%2Fepson_eh_tw_9300_7300_9300w.htm&edit-text=&act=url

zombie over on avs sums up well,

zombie10k,

I finally had a chance to take a good read through Cine4home's Epson 5040 preview, thank you Ekki!

some key info to pick out for the contrast and brightness with SDR content. This is nearly identical to the current Sony HW65 native + dynamic contrast. This is no threat to the JVC RS400 which is basically same brightness @ D65 but 2.5-3 times the native in high lamp, wide open. JVC will run away with the native once the iris gets clamped a bit. 

Brightness is a big improvement over the Epson 5030 so that is a welcome change. It was way too low on the outgoing model to be competitive today. 

epson5040-1.png

For HDR content, there is a big hit on the lumen output once the filter in engaged. It does sound like BT2020 can be engaged in some of the bright modes with color not being 100% vs. with the filter engaged. I'm sure Cine4home will expand on this in his full review. 

epson5040-2.png

Pixel fill of the LCD looks typical of the prior LCD models. We'll have to wait for the A/B close ups of the e-shift on / off. 

epson_eh_tw_9300_7300_9300w_clip_image08

We don't have news yet on 3D performance, brightness and x-talk performance. Hopefully soon after they are released.

• 3 weeks later...

I had chance to review the 9300 today at my local west coast hifi store, and have to say the picture quality was impressive.  Compared to a friends Sony 320es, i can honestly save there is significant value in a projector thats going to cost circa half the price.  apparently there will be a price "amendment" locally as well in the next week or so, which will take the street price closer to $4200.  I had been set on a sony 45es before, but will wait to see what eventuates!

• Like 1