Digital In Digital Out Processor, Does it Exist?

if you are talking multichannel hd audio.... it doesnt exist because multichannel digital hd audio is carefully protected  by the studios. and kept within the cocoon of hdcp. i.e. dealt within the processor and converted. as long as digital its protected by hdcp. as soon converted to analog do as you wish with it in individual streams  :)

Understand that whole "piracy" issue, but it can't be all that different to do what every AV manufacturer out there buys a license to do already. Only difference I am asking for is instead of sending it to a DAC to turn it into analog, just to send the output to digital instead. It's not like you are getting one massive digital stream that could be easily copied.

The licensing precludes this from occurring which is why you never see any AV receivers with digital outputs of the decoded data streams. Probably not hard to mod an AV receiver to extract the serial data streams if you know what you are doing but usually does not come as standard ;) In any event standard Dolby Digital is heavily compressed and HD stuff is only 48KHz !

cheers

Edited by Tranquility Bass
  • Like 1

The McIntosh MVP891 Universal Player lets you output multiple multi-ch digital signals for external DSP and DAC processing as well as multi-ch analogue outputs by using its own built-in DSP and Sabre32 ES9018 DAC.

I know of no product that discreetly performs channel decoding and then splits out those channels individually as PCM or whatever, legally.

Edited by myPal

Just looking at SCMS it only says that the digital can't be raw, otherwise no device would be able to send or receive digital signals. Since the device that would be receiving the signal (minDSP) is expected an encoded digital signal the output would need to be encoded to suit.

The McIntosh MVP891 Universal Player lets you output multiple multi-ch digital signals for external DSP and DAC processing as well as multi-ch analogue outputs by using its own built-in DSP and Sabre32 ES9018 DAC.

like its denon donor(I owned one of those)...over digital via hdmi with hdcp.... and analog multichannel do what you want :)

• Like 1

like its denon donor(I owned one of those)...over digital via hdmi with hdcp.... and analog multichannel do what you want :)

Looks like the greedy have us over a barrel... If there is no way of sensibly splitting up the digital signal I may as well use the DAC in the Oppo to convert to analog and then take the individual analog channels out of the Oppo, convert them back to digital in the miniDSPs, convert then back to analog to be amplified and never be able to access the DSD content I paid good money for...

Alternately I could buy a costly bloated Denon to convert the DSD stream to analog and do the whole D/A - A/D dance over there.

Some Denon's will pass DSD over HDMI or of course over its proprietary Denon Link.

Similarly McIntosh have their own proprietary digital link for DSD passthru for decoding into their own external DACs. Eg. MCT450.

Edited by myPal

the ole i-link (firewire) enabled players would output dsd as well. pioneer, sony, marantz and denon supported that for a while as well.

but it was proprietary ... needed the processor at the other end to decode 

I can't see any way beyond the my current two channel active system of achieving what I want without doing the analog to digital dance, so I have to question if it is even worth going active for the rear four speakers and center speaker. Basically I might be better off coming straight out of the Oppo into separate amps into passive speakers rather than loosing quality in all the AD DA conversions.

I sympathise.

If you want something that works kinda like Meridian DSP speakers, then Meridian DSP speakers and a Meridian surround processor are pretty much the only solution that doesn't involve PC's, buggery boxes etc.

Who wants to have to turn a PC on, and worry about updates and OS's etc when all you want to do is play a bloody CD!

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1

Looks like the greedy have us over a barrel... If there is no way of sensibly splitting up the digital signal I may as well use the DAC in the Oppo to convert to analog and then take the individual analog channels out of the Oppo, convert them back to digital in the miniDSPs, convert then back to analog to be amplified

Correct. And perfectly clean too. The Oppo is the perfect device to do the 'universal' analog signal generation, instead of having to buy and set up digital processors for numerous digital formats with numerous protection schemes. That's what the Oppo is for, so let it do what it is there to do.

and never be able to access the DSD content I paid good money for...

You got ripped off, PCM rules.

Alternately I could buy a costly bloated Denon to convert the DSD stream to analog and do the whole D/A - A/D dance over there.

You are buying into a nightmare -- to say 'all I am asking for is something simple' is ironic when you consider that using a universal player to create high quality analog is 'job done'-- that's the simple solution. I looked into the same concepts and decided I was putting too much precious value on avoiding one and only one analog stage between the digital sources and the digital processors.

• Like 1

I can't see any way beyond the my current two channel active system of achieving what I want without doing the analog to digital dance, so I have to question if it is even worth going active for the rear four speakers and center speaker. Basically I might be better off coming straight out of the Oppo into separate amps into passive speakers rather than loosing quality in all the AD DA conversions.

"going active" ....   is only an opportunity to improve a speaker.   You need to ask yourself what improvements will you be making to the speaker.

The potential improvements are drastically greater than any component swap (any price) or any conversion between digital and analogue.

If you want DSD to be a part of a system with DSP, then you'll need it converted to PCM ..... or you'll need an incredible amount of DSP power to work with DSD natively.   (eg.  the fastest computer i5 or i7 CPUs from the past couple of generations can just do it).

• Like 1

The way Meridian deal with having SPDI/F to every speaker and a DAC and amplifier for every driver, is to have a separate communications bus. This ensures all the electronics do the same thing as far as volume, modes etc goes. Even the CD players, transports, pre-amps etc are on the same control bus. It does work very well.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Not sure what you are after, but pro audio like Dante from Audinate has possibilities but you will need to use their hardware. A PC with a multi channel AES input output card like from Linx or RME could be another possibillity. There might even be pro audio processors/routing who can split the digital stream over multiple digital channels.

• 7 months later...

If you aren't into the current Atmos and 3D Audio soundtracks, a Vanity Audio mod for the Oppo 103 might well do what you want. Converts all your 7.1 LPCM on HDMI to 4 SPDIF outputs.

Years ago I had this idea that Oppo could build the ultimate universal transport processor by separating the transport from the decoding and switching to the room EQ.

So you could have something like the 101 transport with HDMI out only except now upgraded to UHD BD transport.

Mated to an Oppo HDMI switch with processor decoder box that decodes Atmos DTS X and then sends the digital output to a third Oppo DSP/RoomEQ box and if you wanna go crazy, a 4th box with an improved DAC.

You could upgrade the transport when 8K comes out.

Or have a new switch to accommodate HDMI2.1 and Dolby Vision (take that Marantz 8802!!!) or decode up to 9.2.6

A third box to do Audyssey XT32 or DIRAC Live as an upgrade.

And a fourth box that has their usual x3 DAC and an upgraded x5 DAC box with improved power supplies and XLR outputs.

You'd lose frills like Zone 2 or 3 but that'd be a killer product for me.

Chances are it would need HDMI to chain up the system so it won't do what the OP wanted - to use a third party DSP/EQ system. That's merely to address HDCP and copyright and DRM issues. Doubt we can run away from that.

In many ways Oppo already has most of the tech inside the 203/205 boxes with TrueHD/DTSHDMA decoding and basic bass management, along with HDMI switching.

Even if the entire combo costs more than a Yamaha CXA5100/Marantz AV8802A + Oppo 205, I'm sure there are takers.

Oppo can even build a 303/305 using the boards from some of these components and squeezing them into one box.