Passive preamps - where are we at currently?

Hi all. I'd love to see where things are currently with the world of loaded passive pre's on the market. From what I've been able to find, there aren't many quality units with balanced design and remote control. Those that exist can get pretty expensive! I love the idea of the old Bent Tap-X units, and there seem to be some other new offerings out there. Audio Music do a great balanced passive, but no remote. A lot has been written about Music First units, but boy they are pricey! Prometheus do a nice budget-friendly job, but again, no remote.

I understand the difficulty of trying to incorporate a remote without ruining the whole point - an uninterrupted (just attenuated) signal.

So I'd love to hear experiences from those who have passive pre's (line stages) with some or all of these features. Ideally, I want a fully balanced signal from at least one source (and maybe 2), plus ability to select at least 2 other sources. I'd love a remote for vol, but source selection not important remotely.

Also, I've recently started reading about LDR units. I'd love to hear any experience with this form of volume attenuation.

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/hifi-and-coffee-lover-rejoice-with-java

This is looking pretty interesting. On a bit of a journey (aka procrastination) looking at passive pre's, there ain't many options out there with true balanced design and remote control. There were the no longer made Bent units or Sonic Euphorias. There are the current Music First, but they're pricey. There's the Hattor units that look like they may fit the bill at a reasonable price. Having said all of that, these are mostly TVC systems, whereas here we have an LDR.

What are people's thoughts? I have no affiliation, nor experience, with any of these units. Research has lead me to believe that a passive pre may well be the best way to go with my current and future system.

Geez - I may even take on a build project for fun when I get the time!

I hear that one of the other great concepts of the late 80s -the spiral perm is making a comeback too.

Yeah I tried that. The curls seemed to channel mids and highs to my ears quite well, but I felt the spiral perm made the bass a bit woolly. Thus, I went back to the idea of a passive attenuator.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello Mat,

Stereo Knight made TVC units that fit your requirements, far cheaper than Music First. Check out the Silverstone line.  Company is now defunct I think but seems to rise again now and then, not sure of the latest.  Fantastic build quality, interior wiring is just incredible.  The sound for me however didn't spin my coconuts. Sterile as an operating room.  All system dependant of course, one mans meat and all that.

I am guessing you saw the Bent Units on offer here very recently?  They seem to be about revered as it gets in this line of tech.

Attached photos are my old unit, it was not the remote control model, pretty sure I sold it for $700. Google will find you some reviews.

post-140154-0-09705300-1465094718_thumb.

post-140154-0-25360100-1465094755_thumb.

post-140154-0-93943400-1465094772_thumb.

post-140154-0-72885200-1465094932_thumb.

post-140154-0-92665900-1465094735_thumb.

Hi. I have used a fully balanced LDR with buffers, made for me by a engineer who was out if work for a while, it is superb, However one of the Ldr s have drifted out of phase, I'm wating for him to make time to fix it. I am using ME Geithain 901,s a kuzma reference with kuzma 4 point and a Octave hp 500. The Ldr is superb with this gear.

I have used top music first and bent audio passives, the Ldr is in a different class, hope this helps

M

Edited by mungo
  • Like 1

Hi. I have used a fully balanced LDR with buffers, made for me by a engineer who was out if work for a while, it is superb, However one of the Ldr s have drifted out of phase, I'm wating for him to make time to fix it. I am using ME Geithain 901,s a kuzma reference with kuzma 4 point and a Octave hp 500. The Ldr is superb with this gear.

I have used top music first and bent audio passives, the Ldr is in a different class, hope this helps

M

The new Tortuga LDR designs now have automatic calibration

I actually like my preamp but want remote as the OP does

What I really want is a passive remote volume control & currently in the process of working out what I need from the Tortuga DIY Kits

For the OP - this is a fully built Tortuga balanced passive pre - http://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/ldrxb-balanced-passive-preamp/

Guest dr_carl

I would be interested to see some measurements of the effects of various attenuations methods upon the signal being attenuated. Comparison of potentiometers, LDR, shunt and transformer based methods would be instructive.

Anyone have any references or data they are willing to share?

Hello Mat,

Stereo Knight made TVC units that fit your requirements, far cheaper than Music First. Check out the Silverstone line.  Company is now defunct I think but seems to rise again now and then, not sure of the latest.  Fantastic build quality, interior wiring is just incredible.  The sound for me however didn't spin my coconuts. Sterile as an operating room.  All system dependant of course, one mans meat and all that.

I am guessing you saw the Bent Units on offer here very recently?  They seem to be about revered as it gets in this line of tech.

Hi mate and thanks! Yes I know this unit, as I have the matching tube monoblocks by the same company! No remote though? Still worth considering, and I'm told they are great in the right application. Were you using it with a tube or SS amp?

I did also see that Bent unit, but out of my price range for now. I would've grabbed it otherwise (just getting over recent purchases!)

M

That's interesting to hear. Could be a vote for the Java (even though it technically doesn't exist yet! Got any pics of your homemade jobby? I'm considering making one as an option......

The new Tortuga LDR designs now have automatic calibration

I actually like my preamp but want remote as the OP does

What I really want is a passive remote volume control & currently in the process of working out what I need from the Tortuga DIY Kits

For the OP - this is a fully built Tortuga balanced passive pre - http://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/ldrxb-balanced-passive-preamp/

Yeah I've seen them, but forgot they did a completed unit, and with remote. Looks like there are a few options about in that ~$2.5k mark, then the quantum leap to the likes of Music First.....

I have used the tvc, music first, stereo night and the Bents I guess it depends on your gear but I found the Ldr in a completely different level. I started with the EVA Ldr before having my balanced Ldr designed and built, I will post some pics tomorrow night. I prefer the Ldr to my $12,0000 active pre. m

I have used the tvc, music first, stereo night and the Bents I guess it depends on your gear but I found the Ldr in a completely different level. I started with the EVA Ldr before having my balanced Ldr designed and built, I will post some pics tomorrow night. I prefer the Ldr to my $12,0000 active pre. m

Thanks Mungo. Sounds pretty interesting. Maybe the newer LDR's are the biz? Interesting.

So who commercially produces LDR based attenuators? There can't be many, especially with a full spec (balanced XLR, single ended, remote, etc....)

Hello Mat,

Stereo Knight made my unit also with a remote volume. As I remember it used a second box to make it all work. It was all built with real care.  I am sure with a bit of googling you will be able to find the remote version with a review on the Net. Just bash in Stereo Night Silverstone or TVC and I am sure information will pop up. Not sure but six moons might have done a review.   Was still lots cheaper than the Music First jobbies. Sold mine to some guys building their own TVCs in Melbourne I think.

I was using it with valve amplifiers but at the time my system kind of sucked and I was clutching at straws looking for answers so my experience would not have given a true representation of the units abilities.  If you are using their amplifiers one would guess it should be a fine match.

cheers.

Stereo Knight are now AM Audio, and they still put out a passive pre.  The details are all on Greg Osborn's site.

Has anyone mentioned the LIghtspeed Attenuator yet?  That usually gets a mention among any discussion of passive pres.

Hello Mat,

Stereo Knight made my unit also with a remote volume. As I remember it used a second box to make it all work. It was all built with real care.  I am sure with a bit of googling you will be able to find the remote version with a review on the Net. Just bash in Stereo Night Silverstone or TVC and I am sure information will pop up. Not sure but six moons might have done a review.   Was still lots cheaper than the Music First jobbies. Sold mine to some guys building their own TVCs in Melbourne I think.

I was using it with valve amplifiers but at the time my system kind of sucked and I was clutching at straws looking for answers so my experience would not have given a true representation of the units abilities.  If you are using their amplifiers one would guess it should be a fine match.

cheers.

Thanks mate. Yeah I recall a review of the remote unit, but (a bit like the amps) they don't seem very common! I'll keep my eyes peeled. The current one (Audio Music) looks very nice, but it's not available with remote....

Stereo Knight are now AM Audio, and they still put out a passive pre.  The details are all on Greg Osborn's site.

Has anyone mentioned the LIghtspeed Attenuator yet?  That usually gets a mention among any discussion of passive pres.

Thanks there. Later in the year when I get some stuff out of the way I may be tempted to build something like that. It'd be a good way to try the whole idea out......

Unfortunately the AM stuff to pricey for me (although it looks amazing). The passive is almost within reach, but no remote.....

Did you know Chris Daly sells a prebuilt model of his stereo coffee unit?  It doesn't look anywhere near as nice as that Java unit but it isn't anywhere near the price either.

• Like 1