DAC Preamp wish list

The next product I am about to release is basically the current Klein II DAC combined with the new preamp.

It will be in a much bigger case with a totally new front panel design - definitely no toggle switches!

I am currently designing & laying out the PCB so I'm in a position to add or extend the feature list.

So far I have 

Three digital inputs

USB

Coax

Optical

+

1 x analogue input - RCAs

Outputs

1 x RCA

1 x Balanced XLR,s

Options I'm thinking about

extra analogue inputs

extra digital inputs

HT bypass

Dual RCA outputs (for sub bi-amp ect)

I'm open to suggestion on this but  as my case is 300 mm wide there is a limit on the number of sockets I can fit on the back panel

Currently only one row of sockets  but a second row is not out of question just means adding a daughter board.

Fire away!

PS heading out now for a farewell party so I won't be able to respond till late or maybe tomorrow depending on how late it finishes (or how much I drink)

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 3

...definitely no toggle switches!

Reeally... I do like them. So, Batman LED depress type, no go on them either? Prefer the toggle switch anyway.... but, put on the back panel. This is how it all starts ya know, first the toggle switch goes, then there's an LED here, and then one there, and before ya know it... we are all plugged into the Matrix, and it's digital all the way. :sorry:

Make the digital and analog PCB separate including the USB so they are all modular that will accomodate at will for any upgrades.

Have at least a manual volume control dial on the front panel, this doesn't mean to have a rotary pot that's motor driven, on the $6k preamp I have it's not motor driven but can be controlled via inferred remote or altered via turning the dial that is basically a optical encoder. The added volume control is there incase your remote fails to work or the battery are dead!

XLR input/output is a must.

Hi Clay,

I am looking forward to the release of this new bad boy.

I've had one of your Klein SE dac's for quite a while now and have been extremely happy with it's performance sound wise and it's reliability.

It replaced a DEQX Premate in my system, which of course is a superb pre/dac but felt I didn't utilize it properly as I didn't use any of its speaker and room correction capabilities. So most of it's abilities were wasted.

Anyway I've never felt short changed with the Klein in my system. Obviously this new dac/pre is something I'm very interested in.

The basic input/outputs look great.

My wish list on top of what you've already mentioned: home theater through put

dual rca outs as I run subwoofers

Will the display show signal input to the dac and volume level? These would be the other inclusions I would like.

Really looking forward to it's release.

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

good to hear from you.

I have found a nice oled screen so yes to your question regarding the display showing input & volume level.

It will also display sample rate, mute & a few other things.

post-112957-0-82801700-1464588914_thumb.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 5

Make the digital and analog PCB separate including the USB so they are all modular that will accomodate at will for any upgrades.

Have at least a manual volume control dial on the front panel, this doesn't mean to have a rotary pot that's motor driven, on the $6k preamp I have it's not motor driven but can be controlled via inferred remote or altered via turning the dial that is basically a optical encoder. The added volume control is there incase your remote fails to work or the battery are dead!

I especially like the suggestion of a modular approach. Should assist with future upgrades etc.

I have not previously thought about the manual volume control, maybe it is a good idea because sometime syou dont have the remote or you wish to do it manually, or alternatively if it is the "normal" type of Philips remote control codes one can always use another remote.

• 2 weeks later...

It is getting very close now. I have found a good case & I'm just trying a few front panel ideas out. Balanced output is all sorted too & sounding excellent. I should have an ETA in about seven to ten days. Just need to check a few more things out first.

Rough final spec is;

Digital in; USB, Coax & optical.

Analogue in; 3. X RCA with one switchable to HT bypass.

Dual RCA outputs + Balanced.

Case std 400 mm width X 50 mm high.

Silver or black case with 5mm or 10 mm black acrylic front panel - possible rear text LED lumination.

• Like 2

No AES/EBU input?

No BNC (true 75 Ohm) input?

Wouldn't 2 Analog Inputs suffice?

No HDMI/i2s input?..........would have made a LOT of "OPPO with de embedder" users happy!!!

Understand it's probably a licence/fee issue though.

Fixed and Variable Output.......

Surprised no one has mentioned adjustable output voltage level/gain (attenuator pads.....jumpers.........EG....Benchmark DAC2?)

CRUCIAL for optimal (and IME preferred) direct connection to power amps!!!!

( For example......My active ATC's are only 1V sensitive!!!!)

Outboard DC PSU?

Sticking with "PCM only" AKM?

Predicted "ball park" price point?......length of Warranty?........firmware upgradeable?

Thanks for requesting our input Clayton...............Just my 2c........ :)

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

Sounds awesome Clay.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Regards inputs/outputs, I guess you could make these the base standard model (you're obviously working towards keeping a reasonable budget/asking price) and make other requests optional, perhaps at additional cost.

Any way just my thoughts.

Very much looking forward to it's release.

Paul 

• Like 1

John

AES/EBU & BNC input - both good points.

I don't get much call in that area but I could certainly cad the PCB appropriately & just make it a custom option.

HDMI & I2S

I would love to have HDMI but you are correct there are license/fee issues & I don't really want to go down that path at the moment.

I2S

Now I completely overlooked that & it would certainly be a useful addition. Will look into it.

Fixed & variable out.

It does have variable out & also a high low output level switch (just forgot to mention it) to optimise power amp matching.

Fixed out is certainly handy & I already have a customer request on it so I will add that as a permanent feature.

Outboard DC power supply.

That starts me thinking about all those seriously expensive Naim external PSU's.

I have lots of room inside the case & will be going overboard with multiple low noise supplies so I pretty happy in that area.

It will be powered by a chunky external transformer so you could always upgrade that to a Haishimotto if you have money to burn.

Sticking with "PCM" only "AKM"

No - full DSD as well up to DSD256 & possibly a future upgrade to DSD512

Predicted ball park price - 2.5k

Two year parts & labour warranty

Yes - firmware upgradable.

Thanks for you input John - some great suggestions.

Ray

Balanced XLR in.

I might save that for a even higher specked version otherwise the price will start to blow out.

Paulk

Yes Paul totally agree with all that.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 3