Help required Soldering 2 resistors on vintage Sony TA1130 Geelong/Torquay area

Guest The man who fell to earth

Item: Help with Soldering
Price Range:$40-$100 negotiable
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info: Torquay/Geelong Victoria

I first posted this in WTB but think this may have been the correct forum.

Hi I was checking the bias on my only integrated amplifier the other morning, I was distracted as my daughter ran circles around me and I thought I had the selector on AUX 2 with no load rather than AUX 1 with my cd player connected. Sure enough I burnt 2 resistors on my SONY TA 1130 from 1971. (I am in so much angst as I am usually very careful and double check everything, sooo stupid of me) I love love love this amp but have no experience soldering on quality equipment and am hoping that I can pay some friendly soul local to Geelong/Torquay to help me out. I will buy the resistors a.s.a.p but don't own any desoldering equipment. Happy to agree on a price, between $40 and $100 if that seems fair.

Thanks for your time, Chris

post-154020-0-45433100-1462696617_thumb.

Torquay is an hr away from where I am, and I would have done it for free too. Resistors are cheap as chips.

May I make a suggestion. Soldering isn't rocket science, I learnt to solder when I was around eight/nine, bought a soldering gun from Tandy and of I went fixing stuff and putting together toy kits.

Geelong has a Jaycar store that's convienient, you can get this for $25: http://www.jaycar.com.au/Tools-%26-Soldering/Soldering/Irons---Electric/20-130W-Soldering-Iron-Starter-Kit/p/TS1651

Google soldering for some utube and then practice on some stuff that's no longer required.

• Like 1

Thanks I will buy the Jaycar kit for sure (under 30watts I should get, yes?) and practice. But...

Desoldering is harder than soldering....yes? I need to remove the resistors first.

This is my favorite amplifier and I've had some good ones (supposably better ones) and there is not a lot of elbow room without unsoldering much more to remove the board.

So I just dont want to risk it as my first project.

Thanks for trying to build my confidence though (which is shattered having made such a stupid mistake us biasing with the wrong input selected, Doh)

Also do you have an opinion if I may have damaged the amp further

or should replacing the resistors I stupidly burnt resolve the issue once I reset Bias DC offset?

Looks like only one resistor has burnt............and singed the other one!

Desoldering is only a matter of heating it up and setting the braid on it so it absorbs the old solder.

You don't have to remove all of it.

Just enough to take out the old component and leave room to add some new solder.

• Like 1

Cheers, Like I said, its a tight fit and I'm scared of burning through another wire and making the job bigger, but I may just, do it, maybe.

Will having singed the other resistor have effected the values, this amp sounded soooooooooo good.??

Edited by The man who fell to earth

See the other wires so close, I reckon I would nick one cos although I am a youthful 44y/o I am a bit shaky and arthritic and unpracticed. 

Thats almost as far out as I can get the board without unsoldering much more (probably a few more centremetres play if I tried.)

post-154020-0-16737500-1462707203_thumb.

I love love love this amp but have no experience soldering on quality equipment and am hoping that I can pay some friendly soul....

If you do not feel confident, and are anything like me (solder and me do not mix), and the fact that you love, love, love this amp, I would suggest... get someone that IS confident to do it for you brother. Or... make very sure your confident before touching it. Friendly advice brother, that's all. I will not say good luck, though I do wish it, I'll say good skill brother.

Edited by rastus

Yep, thanks Rastus,

I think I was starting to get a boost of confidence from others supporting me, but with the cramped space and other wires around, I just shouldn't until I'm more practiced.

I just want her back.

Yep, I think those photos of the bad angle surrounded by wires has scared anyone from taking the job on, or even trying to motivate me to take it on.

Thanks all who contributed.

Guest Muon

The tips on those Bunnings ones are huge!

Had to use one at a mates place for a quick job for him on the spot, horrible thing to use on a heavily populated PCB. All in all a very cheap iron and everything about it screams cheap.

Must be someone down your way that can do it.

Edited by Muon

Torquay is an hr away from where I am, and I would have done it for free too.

@@The man who fell to earth > I would beg, borrow, or steal... I would PM 'Addicted to music' and.... ask. "Glorified Cleaner, cleaning the mess greenies leave behind" <----- Buy the brother a tree maybe! I can't stand to see you unhappy brother. Fortune favors the bold!

@@Addicted to music > He's pining brother, he's hurting... he's IN-love, and he's lost his love... if you can help her return to his side, brother... big bunch of karma coming your way if....

Edited by rastus

Rastus - Your so right about how I am feeling, and it was me and my stupidity that harmed her.

BUT - I by no means expect anyone to drive an hour to save her, I would definately drive the hour to 'Addicted to Music' to save my Sony Lady but you say "fortune favors the bold" So perhaps I should just man up and Solder on.

But I'm just not feeling confident right now.

Look Bowie fan (sorry about his passing too) it was an accident, nothing more man. Anyway, this is not about HOW you got to this place (stop with the self-pity brother), this is about where you go FROM here. Make the call brother, make the call (PM him). Easy as shiiting in bed and kicking it out with your foot. Pride won't win her back, humility will. Drive to him, that should humble you enough. Brother, the greenie brother has offered. Act on it.

If you can solder it, then do it. If you can't, then don't. Don't punish yourself because you think you fugged up, man up and get it fixed 'right'. :thumb:

PS: Sorrow, great song!

Edited by rastus

Easy as shiiting in bed and kicking it out with your foot.

"Easy as shitting in bed and kicking it out with your foot."

You made my wife laugh like I never have. "Stay away from Torquay.

Torquay is an hr away from where I am, and I would have done it for free too.

Bowie fan > To further humble yourself for your indiscretion, pay the man... and then we can all get back to 'normal', and you two (three?) can live happily EVER AFTER.

Edited by rastus

PS: Hello Mrs Bowie fan!

I thought I made it clear no-one funnier than I can speak to my wife.

Back on topic, Please.

I wont harass the green guy. (not cost efficient either to drive 2 hour round trip, pay him and my petrol)

Anyone close to Geelong/Torquay?

I wouldn't be surprised if more damage has been done. After replacing the resistors , the unit should be powered up with a DBT. There is possble damge to the outputs.

If you repalce the resistors and there is another fault you are going to cause further damage.

I would recommend you give this work to someone who knows what they are doing as to prevent further damage. There are no user servicable parts inside.

• Like 1

The tips on those Bunnings ones are huge!

Had to use one at a mates place for a quick job for him on the spot, horrible thing to use on a heavily populated PCB. All in all a very cheap iron and everything about it screams cheap.

Must be someone down your way that can do it.

As a tech, you need to be prepared to get the job done correctly with whatever quality tools that's thrown at you. Companies who supply tools normally supply stuff like soldering irons that work once and you discard it! And I'm not joking! Throughout my career you learn to adapt to the lack of correct quality tools and you make them last....

Back on topic, Please.

I wont harass the green guy. (not cost efficient either to drive 2 hour round trip, pay him and my petrol)

Anyone close to Geelong/Torquay?

Soldering 2 resistors only takes for a soldering iron to come ready. It will take less than 5mins to unsolder and resolder a couple of resistors. If no one down your way can take it on, I'll do it for free no charge, it's second nature to me.

Be advised that I don't have the knowledge skills and experience or test equipment on amplifiers like @@Zaphod Beeblebrox, @@skippy124 or @@Green Wagon. I've lost a lot of the knowledge working on printers. So if there's something else wrong with it, then it's gonna take longer.

Edited: next week in off to Eastern Creek on a training conference for the whole week

Edited by Addicted to music