:) al   
5 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Sa10 versus Oppo 205?  

one will play a cd reliably :D 

powerav   

Bagging the Oppo again while a giant Marantz advertising banner is hovering over the top, gold.

cafe67   
4 hours ago, powerav said:

Bagging the Oppo again while a giant Marantz advertising banner is hovering over the top, gold.

Lol I was wondering that when neither of them have actually been reviewed or heard.

My oppo 95 bought in 2011 is still going strong and had every cd, sacd, DVD, Bluray feed to it. 

In comparison the marantz sa11s3 which I bought from another sna'er as picky about the discs it would play and within a few weeks of owning it the laser needed replacing $570 despite the seller saying g it was perfect. 

24 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

My oppo 95 bought in 2011 is still going strong and had every cd, sacd, DVD, Bluray feed to it. 

yep I owned a 95 as well, and didnt have any troubles with discs, however the 205 does have the same oppo home brewed transport and their own error correction as the 203 model does. I remember clearly on avs someone popping a cd in first up getting the player and found it couldnt play it .... I owned a 203 with the same transport as the 205 and had numerous disc playing issues with drop outs and what not for both audio and audio/video discs. have no doubt they have improved it greatly however in my mind certainly that doubt remains. 

the marantz too uses a home brewed transport of their own. who knows what issue it might have or develop down the track. this is not uncommon these days with even e.g. yamaha the giant organisation it is having transport issues with its sacd player.  

i own a luxman cd/sacd player now and though it has not had one issue wiht any disc ever, and I've never heard of anyone with any transport issues. however its possible and not inconceivable over time something could happen and no idea if its a luxman home made transport or something that down the track will have parts and such. and with sacd players particularly it is something people do factor in.

cafe67   

Hi Al, 

hmm fair enough didn't realise the 203 were having all those issues, I had a 83se and that was similarly fine. I was tempted to get a 105 when they came out, but. It seemed for audio purposes there was minimal point. 

Agreed On the Yamaha cds issues. I'm on my third one under warrantry. 

The new marantz with its own transport does concern, will there be parts, will it be a disaster like that Phillips transport that nearly sent  Micromega bust or all those Sony SACD and Krell players that are  paperweights because of a lack of parts. 

Not sure, but I thought Luxman were using their own transports , but it might be a model to model thing? 

59 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

hmm fair enough didn't realise the 203 were having all those issues,

yep I lived it for well over a month and many discs gone through and quite honestly its frustration with disc play was main reason went back, others could probably live with. I'm not sure too much to ask as a disc player to be able to play discs ! 

I had a 83se and that was similarly fine. I was tempted to get a 105 when they came out, but. It seemed for audio purposes there was minimal point. 

yeah I've owned other oppos and never a disc play issue, and same with cambridge players have owned that also shared the same transport and never a disc issue. look their 205 being a bit more substantial in build and given another couple of months or so of beta testing with the 203 quite possibly has improved things. but I cant erase my memory of how it was. what I can hope is oppo releasing their flagship will hopefully have in a state where it isn't the beta machine the 203 was. but still i wouldn't get one blind. would definitely be checking out before purchase and if considering it will be some time after release. it would have to be a sure thing. its too much money for it is to be anything else :)

Agreed On the Yamaha cds issues. I'm on my third one under warrantry. 

The new marantz with its own transport does concern, will there be parts, will it be a disaster like that Phillips transport that nearly sent  Micromega bust or all those Sony SACD and Krell players that are  paperweights because of a lack of parts.

it is a real pity on the yamaha front as they certainly look a lovely thing and same with their matching integrated amps. what ever it is I hope they can get over. it just worries me what happens in those sort of cases once the warranty passes !  in dedicated sacd players I'm only on my second with the first being faultless and something owned from new for over a decade and was a flagship sony which was like new when sold it. I tend to buy something for the long haul  so frankly things like reliability is not something I really want to be worrying about. and yeah the various brands have a littering of sacd player issues. I know musical fidelity swore they would never make a sacd player again after being let down by philips with their transport for their flagship machine.

Not sure, but I thought Luxman were using their own transports , but it might be a model to model thing? 

yeah dont know really between models, I believe its proprietary, but never have heard of any issues with them so thats only confidence i have. and so far have been rock solid kind of thing happily go for decade plus it would seem ... and i hope ! 

anyways marantz has a long run of making sacd players. i somehow doubt this flagships of theirs wouldn't be well supported and a stunning design. but yeah am also of no doubt if the thing broke its probably not going to be as cheap for transport or whatever as an oppo costing many fractions cheaper ! :D

cafe67   

All goods and another thing that concerns with expensive 1. Box designs is obsolescence.  I can see the favour of buying a good transport and being about to buy new design dacs as they become available. 

The sa10 may be a lovely machine but for $9k I want to hear some serious upgrades in sounds. 

Bunno77   
On 4/22/2017 at 5:31 PM, Raffinator said:

A bit Melbourne-centric.... why doesn't Len Wallis get to show them? They have the Yamaha 3000 combo and it would be fun to go head-to-head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lifestyle Store were the Marantz Dealer of the year last year and I believe a few before that too.

I am sure they could easily get it in store for demos

https://www.facebook.com/marantz.australia/posts/1038541446202165:0

Edited by bunno77
Missed link

3 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

All goods and another thing that concerns with expensive 1. Box designs is obsolescence.  I can see the favour of buying a good transport and being about to buy new design dacs as they become available. 

The sa10 may be a lovely machine but for $9k I want to hear some serious upgrades in sounds. 

$9k ? more like 10 ! 

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=13&products_id=2958

but yeah most definitely. I dont know about anyone else but its lust worthy gear and kind of thing have to give a jump up and if ever could afford would need to pretty much have to be end game material :)

@cafe67

i gave up buying expensive CD players many moons ago.  

My 1st CD player was a Marantz 84, the 2nd generation player.  I bought this from Intersound because they discounted it to $650. Got it home and it had power issues. Took the cover of and the gnd wire to the PSU wasn't connected.  Connected that and it worked for the next couple of years then the Laser started to skip.  The Rotel 965 was next and then that had skipping issues.  The PS2 has issues with "can't read disc".   Gave up in the end, hence the reason I don't even use the optical in the 105. All is ripped to HDD and I have fun selecting albums and tracks.  The optical disc was good for the 80s but we are in the 2017 where USB 3.0 USB 2TB HDD are cheap.  

Edited by Addicted to music

9 minutes ago, :) al said:

$9k ? more like 10 ! 

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=13&products_id=2958

but yeah most definitely. I dont know about anyone else but its lust worthy gear and kind of thing have to give a jump up and if ever could afford would need to pretty much have to be end game material :)

$10k for a spinner.....out of my league.....:wacko:

kukynas   

On ?23?.?04?.?2017 at 3:07 PM, Addicted to music said:

$10k for a spinner.....out of my league.....:wacko:

I think same apply for their integrated, I loved my PM-11S3 before I bough Hypex ncore, now I see the same mono blocks in their PM10 and even if I expect it to be fantastic amp, for $10k? are they serious? come on dudes, these plug n play modules do not cost extra $5K top of what has already been in 11S3 :wacko:   

53 minutes ago, kukynas said:

I think same apply for their integrated, I loved my PM-11S3 before I bough Hypex ncore, now I see the same mono blocks in their PM10 and even if I expect it to be fantastic amp, for $10k? are they serious? come on dudes, these plug n play modules do not cost extra $5K top of what has already been in 11S3 :wacko:   

Those Hypex ncores are amazing modules.  I was on the way in getting a set.  I had the ncore400 modules in the house.  On initial switch on, one of the SMPSU dedicated for the module exploded and tripped the building 30A breaker.   On inspection, one of the SMD vaporised destroying surrounding components and copper tracks.  A photo was sent to Bruno and he immediately dispatched a new one free of charge.  The only class D to specify a 24A rating and the only ones that can run a pair of maggie 1.7 with ease.  You wouldnt know it's class D until you are shown! And will beat any A/B amps with mosfet output stages apart from Pass Labs.   Now Hypex have I believe the nc500 where you can changed the front end opamps.  They are also in the NAD reference series but NAD specifications and modifications, so they sound very different at around the $4.5kAUD.  The efficiency, power/$ is amazing.   If I didn't get the chance of what I have now i would have had a set here,  Hence I can see why Marantz has gone to this implementation;  no need for expensive linear PSU, and no need to match SS components, less weight and smaller cabinetry etc etc....  But yeah, for $10k just for the logo and gold box...passed. You can get something really nice for $10k 

kukynas   

yep, hence why to pay more for less :) , maybe if we look just on the specs alone than we might say fine but knowing what's behind that price tag? :) 

everyone makes their own value judgements....

cafe67   

Theres a review of the sa10 in the latest hifi news and records. 

Only a a a quick flick through but the review seemed well regarded

serious consideration as your last CD player. 

£5999

dolphy   

10k for a CD Player! Wow, it would have to sound as though the band/symphony was is your lounge room. I'd like to have a listen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Assisi   

@dolphy

An amount of $10k for a CD player is very serious money.  However it is in only a deposit on some Hiend players that start at $40k and go much much higher

John