Affordable 4k Projectors - Is it possible

Hey all,

I have noticed a huge shift in 4k tvs becoming cheaper and cheaper that you almost wouldn't think twice about buying one.

But it seems that while the projector scene is somewhat niche in comparision to the amount of people watching normal tvs (not to mention bulb costs etc)

I am wondering how long it would take for 4k projectors to get into the general consumerable price range of $1400-$2500

I can understand the panels are going to be extremely precise and expensive to manufacture at first but if they can do it with 1080p projectors (and 3d projectors) they can do it 

4k content would be another good thing to have, i'm sure this is one thing that holds some people back.

possibly in good time. few things to keep in mind. uhd requires output...so good lamp output required. the other thing which is really where things get deceptive and messy is optics.

how many times have you seen something claim 4k ? well guess what it might have a 4k resolution sensor but is the optics upto scratch to deliver anything near 4k ....optics cost a lot of money and they always will likely do. main reason for instance is not to get too hung up on little affordable things claiming 4k.

4k also as a note .... is not really something to chase in the home. 4k is beyond what imax can achieve ...are you going to put in a setup in your home thats beyond imax to deliver it ?

then there is the case of just how much stuff in media is truly 4k...rare very rare...

keep in mind nyquist...ie to deliver 2k you need 4k ......to deliver 4k you need 8k :)

what we will probably find is with 4k delivery systems is we for the first time will actually be able to truly appreciate 2k ! :D

so work around 2k if on a budget and be happy..... 

• Like 2

"then there is the case of just how much stuff in media is truly 4k...rare very rare..."

More is coming, just been announced couple of days ago from Netflix and here. I am looking to upgrade my humble 1080 panel to 4K with Oled in couple of years time, I am betting on couple of things:

- Content providers such as movie studios and Netflix to push for more 4k materials

- NBN to be connected at home (I do have fiber but not my primary resident... sigh... :emot-bang: )

- OLED Panel manufactures can scale up production thus reduce the cost per panel

As for 4K projector, as with any home projector is not found in every home, unlike TV where adoption rate is high. So price of a 4K projector might take a while to come down. That's must my 2 cents.  :)

More is coming, just been announced couple of days ago from Netflix and here. I am looking to upgrade my humble 1080 panel to 4K with Oled in couple of years time, I am betting on couple of things:

- Content providers such as movie studios and Netflix to push for more 4k materials

- NBN to be connected at home (I do have fiber but not my primary resident... sigh... :emot-bang: )

- OLED Panel manufactures can scale up production thus reduce the cost per panel

As for 4K projector, as with any home projector is not found in every home, unlike TV where adoption rate is high. So price of a 4K projector might take a while to come down. That's must my 2 cents.  :)

its not the case people won't declare as 4k….please keep in mind there is TRULY very rare actual 4k material.

very rarely even in shot in 4k and processed in 4k…then there is issue as I mentioned earlier with regards nyquist to get 4k you need 8k….little to nothing is being is being shot in 8k.

panels for 4k is a joke…unless going massively big in size…keep in mind my imax comment which you literally can't do it in the home !  to resolve 4k you need to be viewing at 1-1.5 screen heights. how big is the screen you will be getting and how far will you be viewing from. you might find you might be better off sticking with 1080p

with regards streaming…. its heavily compressed which puts on an even bigger uphill battle of resolution and picture quality something has to give :)

overall its not about resolution its about picture quality. it will win over resolution any day.

to get 4k you need 8k

Is it possible you may be able to explain this a little bit better for me? My knowledge is pretty limited with this but if you have the information recorded in 4k I am not sure why you could not then produce 4k. 

Thanks for your help :)

Is it possible you may be able to explain this a little bit better for me? My knowledge is pretty limited with this but if you have the information recorded in 4k I am not sure why you could not then produce 4k. 

Thanks for your help :)

its a very complex topic and probably the beyond scope of something could discuss/explain on a forum. I'd suggest a bit of bed time reading… do a google search on MTF , OTF and nyquist there is plenty on the net.

in a very basic explanation think of it as looking through a coke bottle at an image.... is it a perfect representation…no obviously not. and in the same way optics impact on what is captured…and in projectors for instance also what is then displayed. optics performance can be described by mtf….this picks up on the detail and resolution that a lens will allow. obviously while you might have a chip that can capture 4k… the kind of optics you put in front of that chip will impact on whether the chip will ever capture enough detail for 4k. even with sensor chips while they might have 4k photo sites …what they actually capture is another thing...

resolution detail is lost heavily in the entire process….from capturing image optics, processing chips, or optics onto fiim. then theres the   scan if on film. scanners are again optics and chips…if working in digital theres the digital intermediate with mastering etc. then there is compression to delivery…via disc or heavy compression via streaming. then there is the chip in the projector to optics in the projector to screen used.

as probably the simplest illustration… think of people who get all excited because they just got a little compact camera or phone that claimed 4k images… well I hate to break it to them…because a non 4k camera with less claimed resolution would easily do much better picture wise in pure picture quality, resolution and detail. and it just comes down to whats feasible at the cost and to allow the compactness. its just not feasible to put in the cheap processing and optics of quality to delver anything resembling 4k from a phone camera or from a compact.

• Like 1

Wow I am really impressed with your general manner mate. You have been extremely helpful and explain things in a way that doesn't make me feel silly for not knowing it. Its times like this that I am extra proud of being in the SNA community of such nice passionate people :)

• Like 3

Betty Boop - the the smartest cheshire cat of SNA!  All so true.  I remember when I was in the market to purchase a digital SLR - I was rather confused about the whole pixels and resolution thing - then a great article in one of the digital camera forums explained it very succinctly.  It wasn't the megapixel count that was all important but rather the lens design and manufacture, the light collecting sensor and how large that was in terms of collecting as much light as was possible with the type of lens attached.  

a good article is this one:

https://photographylife.com/how-much-resolution-do-you-really-need

Just remember what you could achieve with a good 35mm slide in terms of large image.  The resolution even today of a great slide still can surpass some of the best digital DSLRs out there providing you used the right film.  Ah, those were the days.  And even now I am still chasing a great reasonably priced digital projector which would match my previous CRT 3 gun Video projector.  A properly calibrated Barco or the late Sony CRTs still blow away some of the high priced digital projectors.  But these beasts were finicky things and required costly setup and could be stuffed around by errant magnetic fields and earthquakes!  Hence my continuing search for a new projector which can give me black levels as good as the old Barco!

Gees, i dunno. I have a Sony 1080 projector and i have seen all those poorly set up tvs in Hardly Normal. Frankly, i am completely happy with what i have. Seeing Tom Hanks nose hair i can do without.

I also only have dark curtains on 2 sides and the front wall. My black levels are limited by the room not the projector.

4k. Meh.

• Like 1