Gieseler Audio

The Gieseler Klein DAC II Official Release & Updates

Gieseler Klein DAC II Release

Hello everyone, I am proud to announce the official release of the Klein DAC II. I know it’s been a while, but I’m sure you will agree it’s been worth the wait. This is the next iteration of the Klein DAC, primarily featuring a massive feature boost, as well as a few small improvements to sound quality as well through various upgrades from the Klein I. In terms of changes, the Klein II still supports everything the Klein I is capable of.

post-112957-0-74557300-1460720203_thumb.

New Features List

·         DSD playback is available in 64, 128 and 256 modes (1x, 2x and 4x), in both DOP and native systems. DSD/PCM switching is done automatically and seamlessly, so that all operation of the DAC produces no unwanted noises, such as pops or clicks.

·         An additional filter option is now available, allowing a slower roll off than before, creating a more natural sound, as well as the option of adding a delayed roll off to the existing filters, resulting in a total of 6 total filter options.

·         Detection of playback bitrate is available via USB inputs, supporting both PCM and DSD rates.

·         All information is shown on an LCD screen, allowing you to, at a glance see the input, filter, mute state, and bitrate of the DAC. For night-time listening, the screen can be turned off/on remotely.

·         The Klein II now operates on advanced software control, meaning that many more options can be changed on the fly, because of this, it supports remote control of inputs, filters, DSD volume bypass, and the screen via a simple remote provided.

·         To reduce noise, all software operations are shut down during playback, so computer noise is kept at an absolute minimum until the state changed (eg. DSD to PCM), at which point new muting systems kick in to ensure relaxing, uninterrupted listening.

The Under the Hood Upgrade

The main change is that power supply has been improved by an extra stage of filtering, using a capacitance multiplier (you may know it as a gyrator). This further isolates the power system from the common systems. This even further deceases electrical noise out of the DAC. Because of this, you can expect a minimum noise floor even lower than the Klein I.

Key Info

Price: $1000 AU including delivery (within Australia) via Express Post (max delivery time of 2 days).

Time frame: can be shipped between 2-3 business days from order.

Power input and output are the same as the Klein I (Output: 2 volts RMS unbalanced, power input: 10 volts 2.4 amps AC).

Photos

Here's a few photos, the back is basically the same as before, but it doesn't have the filter switches.

post-112957-0-07019500-1460720242_thumb.

post-112957-0-30534900-1460720253_thumb.

post-112957-0-13415400-1460720268_thumb.

post-112957-0-46673200-1460720279_thumb.

Front and Back Panel Selection (New Colour Available)

Panels are available in brushed silver, plain black and white, and we now also offer brushed gold panels.

post-112957-0-78006300-1460720293_thumb.

post-112957-0-10370600-1460720310_thumb.

post-112957-0-08631600-1460720326_thumb.

post-112957-0-05739000-1460720342_thumb.

Product Lineup

I have been asked about this a few times recently, so to clarify what I currently sell, 

Power Supply Single ($275)

Power Supply Double ($400)

Power Supply Triple ($450)

Klein DAC I ($750)

Klein DAC II ($1000)

Pre-amplifier ($900)

Still in development is the DAC/Pre (price approx $1500-$2000), and another product which is not ready to revealed yet. I hope this clarifies it for everyone.

I will update the website in the next few days with full details of the Klein II for those who don’t know the specs of the Klein I off by heart :P .

Cheers for now,

Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio

woadl   

Congratulations Clay on another fine product

DMax   

Very nice! Any chance of adding the xlr out at the back?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Conch   

Awesome work Clay, really looking forward to getting my hands on one!

Love the look of the new gold faceplate :)

DMax - it is a unbalanced output stage so no XLR option unfortunately. To do a balanced output stage to the same standard as the current singled ended one would require a larger PCB as there is not much room left. I will have a balanced out option in a higher end product that is coming soon.

Liam - yes the brushed gold certainly looks classy - even better in the flesh.
I just did a quick AB comparison between my well run in Klein SE & the Klein II - initial impression was there seemed to be a bit more resolution & info coming from the Klein II which gave me a bit of a shock. As I said It was just a quick listen but I will do a more thorough comparison over the next two days. The five main internal regulated supplies in the Klein II all have an addition active Gyrator filtering stages which is very effective at rejecting HF noise which often goes straight through most regulators. Power supply filtering can certainly have an influence on sound quality so I think that may be the reason for the improvement on the II. The Gyrators also provide excellent improved isolation between digital & analogue stages which helps as well. Lots of high end CD players use seperate transformers for digital & analogue for that very reason.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Well I have spent the last three hours critically comparing my well run in Klein SE to the new Klein II

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind at all that the Klein II sounds considerably better. The gap is definately bigger that say the standard Klein vs the SE. I would describe the difference as a greater sense of detail/resolution, ambiance & seperate with the Klein II.

This is all with identical PCM content, DSD on the II is a totally different ball game. Using Jriver SACD images play superbly in DSD64 so I am frantically trying to collect more of my faveriot albums in that format. Native DSD is even better but it is harder to find what I like in that format.

Of course this is all in my opinion so it will be very interesting to get some feed back from the three new owners who all purchased Klein II DAC's yesterday. Two are Stereonet members so hopefully some good online feedback coming.

matth   

Congratulations Clay,

I love the look of the all black DAC II.

Any news about the AK4497?

There are reports from the CA Forum that DSD512 is much superior to DSD256:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/t-digital-analogue-converter-8-direct-stream-digital-27935/index8.html#post530870

I will attend the DSD512 Fest at the High End Munich in May and report later.

Thanks.

Matt

Edited by matth

Hi Matt,

Good to hear from you.

Yes I'm sure DSD512 will be the ultimate in sound quality but have you actually found any music content at that sample rate?

I have a few DSD256 albums & I must admit they sound amazing.

I am very interested in the AK4497 but I don't think the commercial production will be available until late this year. I will certainly use it in my product range when it is available. I finally have some AK4147 SRC's & have just received a development board so will be testing them out shortly. The high end Munich show sounds great - please take some photos for us.

scumbag   

Well I have spent the last three hours critically comparing my well run in Klein SE to the new Klein II

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind at all that the Klein II sounds considerably better. The gap is definately bigger that say the standard Klein vs the SE. I would describe the difference as a greater sense of detail/resolution, ambiance & seperate with the Klein II.

This is all with identical PCM content, DSD on the II is a totally different ball game. Using Jriver SACD images play superbly in DSD64 so I am frantically trying to collect more of my faveriot albums in that format. Native DSD is even better but it is harder to find what I like in that format.

Of course this is all in my opinion so it will be very interesting to get some feed back from the three new owners who all purchased Klein II DAC's yesterday. Two are Stereonet members so hopefully some good online feedback coming

I find it hard to believe that you have bettered the Klein DAC (1.2?) but you've gone and done it by all reports. For the sake of my bank account, it's probably best that I don't get to listen to one of them....... 

Edited by scumbag

:party Hi everyone.

I just want to say thanks for the great support on the Klein II

Currents sales stats.

ACT   x   1

QLD   x   3

WA     x   1

Eagerly awaiting first impressions.

Hi all followers of Gieseler Audio, my initial impressions of this latest DAC have been posted in the Klein DAC II thread.

Andrew

Posted (edited)

I would be very keen on customers thoughts on the Klein dac 2. I'm really getting keen. Also comparing to other hi end das's. I also would like feed back not just with computer usb but also with a cd player as a transport.

Edited by audiohifiaudio

Jonny   
10 hours ago, audiohifiaudio said:

I would be very keen on customers thoughts on the Klein dac 2. I'm really getting keen. Also comparing to other hi end das's. I also would like feed back not just with computer usb but also with a cd player as a transport.

There's some thoughts & comparisons in the Klein II owners thread...

Jventer   

I had the Klein - the first version and then the SE. I used it in my headphone system. (Had to sell my headphone system as I needed money.)

At that stage I tried it with 2 different laptops, with and without an Audiophilleo, with and without a Regen,  and also fed with an "old" Esoteric CD transport. Comparison dac was Mytek 192 and a Weiss Minerva.

The Regen and Curious cables did make an improvement (at the price one would have hoped so :) )

IMO the Klein was the best value for money.

bhobba   
Posted (edited)
On 2017-5-22 at 0:00 AM, audiohifiaudio said:

I used to known as the DAC guy around here, getting all these new DAC's like the Burson, Chord etc when released so know very well what you get at  what pricepoint.

Now I must disclose I have known Clay for many years, just in the interests of being totally fair, so I could be biased.

However the Klein at the price asked is a give-away.   Nothing in its price range can touch it.

Here is the list of DAC's I have heard and/or owned that bests it - all much more expensive:

1. A full house PDX with Duelunds - the whole works - but there isn't a lot in it - its just a bit more 'valvey'.   I have one for sale if anyone wants it.   Clay will be happy to check it before being shipped.

2. Direct Stream and Direct Stream Junior

3.  Killer DAC

4.  The Konverter.

5.  EMM Labs DAC

6. Playback Designs

That's about it - I don't even think DAC's like the Wiess (I heard an upgraded one - it was better but not the usual one) that are really any better - maybe just a touch.   That's how good it is.   There are other DAC's not as good but more expensive - all good DAC's actually (eg upgraded NAD) but the Klein has the edge IMHO.

So buy it and then take around to compare to other DAC's - I think you will find it hard to find one better - let us know if you do.  They have very good resale value so you wont loose much doing that.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba

scumbag   
19 minutes ago, bhobba said:

I used to known as the DAC guy around here, getting all these new DAC's like the Burson, Chord etc when released so know very well what you get at  what pricepoint.

Now I must disclose I have known Clay for many years, just in the interests of being totally fair, so I could be biased.

However the Klein at the price asked is a give-away.   Nothing in its price range can touch it.

Here is the list of DAC's I have heard and/or owned that bests it - all much more expensive:

1. A full house PDX with Duelunds - the whole works - but there isn't a lot in it - its just a bit more 'valvey'.   I have one for sale if anyone wants it.   Clay will be happy to check it before being shipped.

2. Direct Stream and Direct Stream Junior

3.  Killer DAC

4.  The Konverter.

5.  EMM Labs DAC

6. Playback Designs

That's about it - I don't even think DAC's like the Wiess (I heard an upgraded one thatare really any better - maybe just a touch.   That's how good it is.   There are other DAC's not as good but more expensive - all good DAC's actually (eg upgraded NAD) but the Klein has the edge IMHO.

So buy it and then take around to compare to other DAC's - I think you will find it hard to find one better - let us know if you do.  They have very good resale value so you wont loose much doing that.

Thanks

Bill 

Great perspectives. The issue for Clay might be that it's too cheap. Put it in a 20kg steel box and charge 20K for it and you'd have a line of high-end high-rollers line up for it ;)

rocky500   
Posted (edited)

I borrowed a Klein 2 Dac.

Can anyone point me to where I can download the Windows drivers?

I have been running it through my Singxer SU-1 but about to lend that out.

Great Dac by the way.

Edited by rocky500