:) al

hdmi sucks !

137 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, kukynas said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray again, why do we need 10Gbps cable if standard 4K UHD BD bitrate is 128Mbps

Because that is rate that compressed data comes off the media (the compression is part of the bluray disc format, not HDMI)

Then it is uncompressed.... and then sent over a HDMI interface.    The data rate requirements for the uncompressed picture are up to 18gbps for HDMI 2.0 ... and up to 48gbps for HDMI 2.1+

Although most people won't need these ultra high data rates now, as they're only needed to support things like 8K pixel layout, and extremely high colour depths and refresh rates.

Please support our sponsors by clicking on their banners:

7 hours ago, kukynas said:

if we are done (and I believe pretty soon) with physical disks and media why do we need HDMI cable with such high bandwidth if we just exchange BD player HW with our current TVs capable of unpacking and streaming same format/codec as today's physical disks.

Indeed.

If the compressed media can be sent over a network (or some other interface) right up to the display ..... then the only point that HDMI will be used will be within the display (to transmit the picture from the decoder 'computer' to the actual display part) .... and so HDMI will only be running over PCB traces inside the TV .... rather than over a cable between two boxes.

However, these data rates are in theory a problem for a cable - other systems such as displayport and USB are using similarly high rates....  it's just that the design of the HDMI connector/cable is pretty bad.

Well in the search for an HDMI cable that will work without issues for 4K UHD at longer lengths such as 10m or more, as many of us with projectors need to run, I've decided to try a Clerity Fibre OOptic HDMI cable.  They are certainly not a cheap option at these lengths but with the first disc having just come out that runs at 4K/60p which will severely test most cables I thought I should give this option a go.

I'll be hooking it up tomorrow and then seeing how it goes but the disc in question, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, only shipped yesterday from Amazon so won't be able to give it a full work out until that arrives.

The cable is much thinner than normal copper HDMI, the last pic is the CT next to a normal HDMI, and the HDMI connectors are detachable so feeding through a wall or in my case conduit that will be going into the wall, should be fairly easy.

A132E825-2F22-4493-9C4B-E1679AB074A8_zps

CA3FF6AF-420D-412B-AC49-47824985068D_zps

AACACFE6-5F0A-4DA2-ADDE-2523EF12B6B1_zps

5974A282-F632-4C31-A138-F1D80336CCA9_zps

1 person likes this

I've run the CT cable, temporarily around the room, and connected it to player and PJ (not running UHD payer through the AVR.

Turned everything on with the settings I had for the Kordz cable and everything fired up as expected.

Played a bit of the disc that was already in the player, all fine.  :)

Had a play with the settings on the Oppo and changed them to the following, Output Res: Source Direct, Colour Space:YCbCr 4:4:4 and Colour Depth: 12-bit.

Unlike before the CT cable I had picture on both the Oppo menu 4K(3840)50 and the movie 4K(3840)24, getting the Oppo menu to play on source direct was not possible with any other cable.

I had read reports from other Oppo owners that source direct resulted in a better/crisper pq but was doubtful as I'd not been able to check for myself but I'd have to agree with their assessments.

So far in this short bit of testing this cable seems to live up to it's claims, will be interesting to see how it copes with 4K(3840)60 when the Billy Lynn disc arrives in a week or two.

JVC info while on the Oppo Home screen

746c8969-dd5f-4975-931e-a54c84a66831_zps

JVC info with disc playing.

B66A4067-6C03-4500-ADEA-902726C63EC7_zps

Edited by Kazz
1 person likes this

kazz, I dont know if billy turned up for you today. was a suprise to find the postman with mine ! just normal post from amazon :)

32871662032_849604cc9f_b.jpg

I couldnt wait to pop in the player. I made sure the pana was set for 4k 50/60 output

pana shows this on home menu once selected

32212233533_9fa1354511_b.jpg

and jvc shows the below,

32871657942_eed56b2a89_b.jpg

once movie gets up and going pana reports 4k60

32645175960_d142c30668_b.jpg

and jvc reports as per below,

33027244345_98780eb4fa_b.jpg

just gave it a little run just to see if works. long synch times.... and not even shutting the blinds for day time viewing very obvious ! hits you in the face !!! my GOD ! is this some of the MOST stunning pics have seen on the jvc ???

Goodness it looks stunning. cant wait to watch at some stage...when get come time. the detail the richness of pics ! 

and guess what it has a FULL 3D audio atmos track to boot ! what a treat in store :)

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, :) al said:

kazz, I dont know if billy turned up for you today. was a suprise to find the postman with mine ! just normal post from amazon :)

32871662032_849604cc9f_b.jpg

I couldnt wait to pop in the player. I made sure the pana was set for 4k 50/60 output

once movie gets up and going pana reports 4k60

just gave it a little run just to see if works. long synch times.... and not even shutting the blinds for day time viewing very obvious ! hits you in the face !!! my GOD ! is this some of the MOST stunning pics have seen on the jvc ???

Goodness it looks stunning. cant wait to watch at some stage...when get come time. the detail the richness of pics ! 

and guess what it has a FULL 3D audio atmos track to boot ! what a treat in store :)

Tracking says mine hit Melbourne this morning so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, I'm really looking forward to having a look at this one.

Your enthusiasm on pq has got me really hoping it comes tomorrow.

Edited by Kazz
1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Tracking says mine hit Melbourne this morning so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday, I'm really looking forward to having a look at this one.

Your enthusiasm on pq has got me really hoping it comes tomorrow.

But is it a good movie? I found Lucy to be 2 hours I'd never get back despite pretty images.

Might have to borrow this from Al one day and see whether my 7.5m Kordz will cut the mustard...

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, blybo said:

But is it a good movie? I found Lucy to be 2 hours I'd never get back despite pretty images.

Might have to borrow this from Al one day and see whether my 7.5m Kordz will cut the mustard...

It's a blind buy and I've read varying reviews on the movie itself so I guess I'll find out on the weekend (hopefully).

I didn't mind Lucy, will likely watch it again.  :P

1 hour ago, blybo said:

hehe yep blind buy here too, i dont mind lucy either though... yes gets a bit naff at the end but most of it I enjoyed :)

1 person likes this

*** GOLD *** courtesy of bobp over on avs, :D

Imagine No More Handshakes,
It's Easy if You Try.
No HDCP Either,
No DAMNED HDMI.

Imagine All the People,
Enjoying Their TV!

You May Say That I'm a Dreamer,
But I'm Not the Only One.
I Hope Some Day that you Can Join us,
And the World can Watch as One.

--Bob

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, :) al said:

*** GOLD *** courtesy of bobp over on avs, :D

Imagine No More Handshakes,
It's Easy if You Try.
No HDCP Either,
No DAMNED HDMI.

....   No way.     I was certain... just CERTAIN, this was leading to a line with "SDI".

How disaapointing.