hehe looks like we are well and truly stressing the cable standards with uhd release....

its not often you have a reviewer declare that something sucks...well its official hdmi sucks ....

its been caught with its pants on fire ...everyone will remember hdmi org officially declaring there are only two standards.....

standard speed 

and 

high speed

high speed was supposed to do it all...well guess what either the standard is not very well policed or they have been well and truly caught out ! 

as it happens its a real mine field people are finding ...cables that were high speed...people aren't finding are working...cables declared to pass 4k and 18 GBPS are being found to not work....even the ones declared as "active" with a chip to over come length issues have been found wanting.... and in some cases not even working....

and then even worse hdmi org comes up with a certification process...well guess what active cables have to be an exception to the rule as they cant be tested ?

and while short distances were never found to be an issue in the past ...guess what now you will find a short length run direct player to source wont work...but one run via an avr will.... wha.... ???

good article here from dave vaughn of sound and vision magazine...I am quite sure his frustration led to doing the article !!!

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-let-battle-begin#RgE98g7HeZ7UFU2b.97

at one stage it was rather scary when people were finding only a particular monster cable would work...but now thats been found to not work in all situations and only an audio quest costing mega bucks to be tried and tested....

so what now .... spend twice as much on a cable than the only uhd player on the market ? seems kind of bizarre doesnt it ? hehe

my suggestion...dont do a thing ! unless absolutely have to...dont buy a cable just incase...only buy one if you actually find what you have is a no go !  as chances are this is going to be a very quickly evolving place as hdmi cable makers come to grips with the situation....

<<<<<<<<THREAD UPDATE>>>>>>>> have updated the original post,

latest testing ... round 2 from David Vaughn - Courtesy of Sound and Vision magazine,

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-–-pt-2-which-cables-can-actually-pass-hdmi-20#goOHOeY1Pjeqy3KP.97

good to see some cheap options there ! that do indeed pass in the long cable category, and also the ones that dont ! 

• Like 2

at one stage it was rather scary when people were finding only a particular monster cable would work...but now thats been found to not work in all situations and only an audio quest costing mega bucks to be tried and tested....

Hahahaha..... Sorry have to laugh hehe after all the flack Audio Quest have received !!!! :D

Me thinks that a rethink of the format might be in order. Not good for anyone who has been an early adopter of 4k. :unsure:

• Like 2

Hahahaha..... Sorry have to laugh hehe after all the flack Audio Quest have received !!!! :D

Me thinks that a rethink of the format might be in order. Not good for anyone who has been an early adopter of 4k. :unsure:

very funny isn't it...guess what they must actually know a bit about cables and their silver plating apparently actually does something :D 

• Like 2

USB, Firewire, HDMI.............................all declared to be the interconnect to end all interconnects!
(I'm sure I missed about six that failed to get off the ground as well.)

Maybe they should have gone with ethernet?

very funny isn't it...guess what they must actually know a bit about cables and their silver plating apparently actually does something :D

Yes, in simple terms pure silver is the most conductive metal.

The downside of course is pure silver is expensive. I reckon it should be possible to engineer a 4k solution instead of the current hdmi using copper as a more affordable option.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/elements/f/What-Is-The-Most-Conductive-Element.htm

I knew HDMI sucked the minute I adjusted something behind my processor and had to reattach all the HDMI cables I lightly touched.

This is a good thread to vent.YES HDMI does suck, in the quest to make things simple for the simple (mass consumer) they completely stuffed it. You can just never trust it and is always temperamental. As soon as I heard the term "handshake" I knew HDMI was trouble.

Edited by powerav
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

M in with hdmi sucks..

My house being long and narrow, I had to install hdmi over cat6.

Spent a fortune on matrix to cat 6 and then cat 6 to HDMI. It did not matter how much it cost, it was simply temperamental. At first, I thought it was my "cheap" converters, so I swapped to a high end one but alas, still issues. Not as many indeed,but still present.Always had intermittent issues, dropping off, or when switching one zone off it switch the other on....

My dealer hates HDMI and so do i.

I finally decided to rip everything out and revert back to component and spdif for all my zones.

You know what, not a single issue. For the sake of a few more cables, it s perfect

For me it doesn't matter too much as I don t have 4K and don't intend to invest yet. Just have 6 Apple TV scattered around the house at 1080p and normal to broadcast so no big deal...

Really hope they find something much more stable.

Regards

I don't have any issues with it.

If you want a connector that locks in better, Display Port. Its basically HDMI with a click in plug.

I don't recall ever having any handshake issues or anything and I have 9 devices attached with HDMI.

This is a good thread to vent.YES HDMI does suck, in the quest to make things simple for the simple (mass consumer) they completely stuffed it. You can just never trust it and is always temperamental. As soon as I heard the term "handshake" I knew HDMI was trouble.

Some cables must have a secret handshake :)

post-105164-0-16241500-1461039790_thumb.

Been using HDMI from vid card to Dell screen for a few years now, and apart from needing to make sure the AMD HDMI audio driver doesn't install and take over the sound duties from the audigy out It's been good.

Grabbed a Belkin HDMI cable from DS this morning for the princely sum of 4 bucks as a spare :)

I don't have any issues with it.

If you want a connector that locks in better, Display Port. Its basically HDMI with a click in plug.

I don't recall ever having any handshake issues or anything and I have 9 devices attached with HDMI.

Most probably most...however we enter a new frontier with uhd blu-ray....which is where the hdmi rats nest behind might as well be a snake pit.....people are not having fun at present ...those that enter the new frontier !

Most probably most...however we enter a new frontier with uhd blu-ray....which is where the hdmi rats nest behind might as well be a snake pit.....people are not having fun at present ...those that enter the new frontier !

Have it hooked up to my UHD samsung TV no problems, Don't have a Blu Ray player capable of 4K yet... PS4 really let me down there!

Still, I don't envisage any problems, hell I even do ARC from my TV to the receiver without dramas, my last receiver was horrifically unreliable for that - the new yamaha hasn't missed a beat.

Have it hooked up to my UHD samsung TV no problems, Don't have a Blu Ray player capable of 4K yet... PS4 really let me down there!

Still, I don't envisage any problems, hell I even do ARC from my TV to the receiver without dramas, my last receiver was horrifically unreliable for that - the new yamaha hasn't missed a beat.

I so wish...

Obviously you haven't read the opening post and what a debacle hdmi has been for Samsung in their release of their uhd blu-ray player.

So your last receiver was unreliable for arc over hdmi.... I thought you said you never had any issues ? :)

I read it, but I put little value in that review.

I'll wait until I get a 4K player and see for myself, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't work.

Never an issue with hdmi itself. My issues were caused by a $200 reciever not a cable specification.

The biggest issue you'll face is the HDCP garbage, but that's unavoidable - you can thank movie studios for pushing that crap. It will exist, or something equally rubbish in any future or revised standard.

Edited by amkr

I read it, but I put little value in that review.

I'll wait until I get a 4K player and see for myself, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't work.

Never an issue with hdmi itself. My issues were caused by a $200 reciever not a cable specification.

The biggest issue you'll face is the HDCP garbage, but that's unavoidable - you can thank movie studios for pushing that crap. It will exist, or something equally rubbish in any future or revised standard.

And why I said wish you well, I don't have the same confidence in foot forward I will take when time comes. but then also hold Dave Vaughan wiht the highest respect and having read the frustrations of others I certainly value his article on current state of play. And it is real not some fluff piece.

HDMI and hdcp come hand in hand. And am sure it's the frustration of many. Cable spec and standards appears to be the latest stumbling block...and given the hordes have read who have been caught out already, have no doubt likely to trip many over in times to come. Only things will help us through is articles like Dave Vaughans that let us know for known combinations what works and doesn't :) rest will be just suck and see :)

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Yes, but there are no boring plain cheapo cables in this test. Even the cheap ones aren't the bog standard Dick Smith (final days! get'em while you can) 10m cables but seem to be fitted with chips and so on.

I think the comment about the Samsung power out being underpowered may be true. I've seen similar issues with USB that have been explained by underpowered outputs. I think we need to see a fair bit more before I'll join the cult of AudioQuest. Full marks to them for honesty, though, this time. Maybe the video scandal has taught them something?

Yes, but there are no boring plain cheapo cables in this test. Even the cheap ones aren't the bog standard Dick Smith (final days! get'em while you can) 10m cables but seem to be fitted with chips and so on.

I think the comment about the Samsung power out being underpowered may be true. I've seen similar issues with USB that have been explained by underpowered outputs. I think we need to see a fair bit more before I'll join the cult of AudioQuest. Full marks to them for honesty, though, this time. Maybe the video scandal has taught them something?

At present I would beware of anything with a chip. It's those that aren't working and failing even in some cases. In fact I know some say if you run one with a chip...be ready to change out as a matter of time and will fail.

Yeah am not sure ready for the cult of audio quest either...especially with the price of entry.

With cheapos... And my 10m is just a $50 tcc, well guess what so,e are having some success with the passive cables as opposed to the active chip ones.

In some ways some of it is a Bodie implementation by Samsung too I reckon. But that calls in question the value of the hdmi standards and whether people are adhering. Strangely even short direct player to display won't work, but run through player via avr to display and it will. Longer cables eg the typical 10m required for a projector...is still a mine field.