Seeking advice re: The best freeware for ripping cd's to wav and flac?

Hi Guys,

I'm seeking advice on the best freeware to use for ripping cd's to both wav and flac? 

Note:  I do not want to start a wav v's flac war, just the software that does both sufficiently so I can decide that part later.

Background:  About 2 years ago I used Foobar and got through about 100 CDs before I realised there was the odd glitch here and there in what I had ripped.  At the time I was ripping to wav.  The album with the most notable glitch I re-ripped to flac, but same issue - the cd does not appear to have any scratches or defects.

Some of my older CD's do have a few scratches (from stupidly using them in car cd players) - will those be more prone to glitches?

I would also be open to suggestions of software that can be purchased if it is leaps and bounds better, but probably wouldn't like to drop much more than a hundy on it.

If there are other recent threads on this topic, please advise me the link.

Thanks!

Guest rmpfyf

+1 for EAC, it's awesome.

If you can be stuffed with Linux, morituri is comparable (has the same functionality) and is free.

Awesome!  Thanks heaps for the advice guys.

I've downloaded EAC and XLD but am currently going through the setup for EAC and then I'll try the problem CD first and see how it goes.

Thanks again! :thumb:

EAC for accuracy.

Just about anything else for ease of use.

Yes, that is correct.

Feurio - another German program - is also nice (but no verification is possible when making CD copies).

Both require a bit of setting up which I would gladly help you with if you were in Perth.

Exact Audio Copy

there are a number of guides to help you set up. It is worth following them.

I have rescued unplayable discs through EAC, most recently as it read one track per night to ensuring it got the same result 8 times.  That disc was a shocker, but it was from a mistreated box set taht I regarded as essential. Good luck.

• Like 1

I've been using FreeRIP for years, and it rips fine, but the amount of incorrect data it uses for the tags etc is really starting to annoy me.  I have to check all the tags after it's finished ripping to check for mistakes, which is even more annoying because it seems that sometimes if I update before ripping it doesn't seem to save what I've changed and even blanks other fields.  

I think I might have to give EAC a go.  I hope it uses a different server for the tags.

I used EAC on the problem CD, took a while, about 15-20 minutes for the disc, but I did choose the best quality setting. 

And the result... no glitches!!! 

Quite happy to spend the extra time to rip them to get the best result, afterall, the quality of sound is most important!

A question for existing users... Is there a way that you can make the application create a new folder when you rip the disc?  At the moment it is just dumping them in the destination folder and I need to then create the sub folders.

A question for existing users... Is there a way that you can make the application create a new folder when you rip the disc?  At the moment it is just dumping them in the destination folder and I need to then create the sub folders.

EAC can be tricked to do it. Go to Options -> Filename and edit the Naming scheme field. I have the following string:

%albumartist%\(%year%) %albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%

• Like 1

EAC here. Works wonderfully. With my settings it was about 10 minutes per CD.

But lately it prompts me to select album covers, which it used to do automatically. So doesn't progress until I select the option. 

Anyone know how to automate this?

dbpoweramp!

It is not free, but it works the best for me and at the price it is really good.

EAC is my second choice.

I have a lot of experience ripping with dbpoweramp and if you wish to use that, PM me and I will share my experience with folders, album art etc .

• Like 2

Even though I am a Mac user, I use dBpoweramp on a Windows machine so that I can 'expand' HDCD discs.

It has a 21day trial which reverts to a free version after that.  I haven't tried the free version to know what features it has.

dBpoweramp uses that same scripting language, whatever it is called, that EAC does (or vice versa).

[Anyone:  what is that language? and is there a manual describing the syntax?]