Trafomatic Experience Two on ML3's

bhobba

A little while ago I got a Trafomatic Experience 2 SET from John Darko and for various reasons have only got around to putting it in my system today. I first heard it on another system that usually used MAC 501's and it stunned me. I asked the owner of the system what he thought and his exact words were - do you want me to say it, do you want me to say it, it simply blew the Mac's away. Now I have it in my system it was exactly the same result - it blew my Patek away. A friend I had with me just sat there stunned - he is putting a new system together and after hearing that amp can't see himself getting anything else. Volume was not a problem - at halfway on the volume control it was plenty loud - usually it was well under half way.

Further impressions to follow as I listen to it more. Some guys are coming over Sunday

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little while ago I got a Trafomatic Experience 2 SET from John Darko and for various reasons have only got around to putting it in my system today. I first heard it on another system that usually used MAC 501's and it stunned me. I asked the owner of the system what he thought and his exact words were - do you want me to say it, do you want me to say it, it simply blew the Mac's away. Now I have it in my system it was exactly the same result - it blew my Patek away. A friend I had with me just sat there stunned - he is putting a new system together and after hearing that amp can't see himself getting anything else. Volume was not a problem - at halfway on the volume control it was plenty loud - usually it was well under half way.

Further impressions to follow as I losten to it more. Some guys are coming over Sunday

Thanks

Bill

Given it is a good 300B single end valve amp is hardly surprising it will blew away mcintosh. Typical 300B amp pump out about 8-9 watts and the amp is ideal for your type of music like Jazz and vocal.

Nice looking amp, and I love a good valve amp.

I wouldn't mind trying a SET on my speakers, though with a 86db speaker it would maybe need to be based on the 845 or 211 tubes rather than the 300B.

Looking forward to your further impressions, Bill :)

Any chance the listening experience can be pitched against a Earle's Time Machine 300B or the Audion Silver Knight 300B ?

Sorry mate - don't have access to those. But I suspect Earles 300B will be every bit as good at a cheaper price because he does not have dealer costs and it is made locally. Of course to be sure a side by side comparison would need to be done. If anyone up my way has one bring it on over and we can do just that.

Thanks

Bill

Nice looking amp, and I love a good valve amp. I wouldn't mind trying a SET on my speakers, though with a 86db speaker it would maybe need to be based on the 845 or 211 tubes rather than the 300B. Looking forward to your further impressions, Bill :)

Hi Datafone

Drop me a line and you can come around and hear it anytime. My ML3's are 89db efficient so are a bit more suited to 300B SET's than your 86db ML1's. But Earl makes an interesting one that I think may be a good match:

http://www.westonacoustics.com/page0031.html

My Leben was only 15W and it drove my ML1's beautifully.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Perhaps we should ignore your predictable and churlish reaction to someone who is a regular and very positive/helpful contributor on this forum. Being a sponsor doesn't give you the right to advertise in threads and act like an a-r-s-e-h-o-l-e.

If you cannot share a fellow member's enthusiasm and news abut a new purchase, why not disregard the thread entirely? You don't need to like it ,nor are you forced to contribute. Sharing experiences is what this forum is about and you should learn some good manners and lighten up for a change. :)

Ignoring Bill's exaggerated experience re-living that we are all used to, Trafomatic makes some very nice amps indeed. Another pearl of Hi Fi mastery from Serbia together with RaaL, Dayens and others....

Hi Datafone

Drop me a line and you can come around and hear it anytime. My ML3's are 89db efficient so are a bit more suited to 300B SET's than your 86db ML1's. But Earl makes an interesting one that I think may be a good match:

http://www.westonacoustics.com/page0031.html

My Leben was only 15W and it drove my ML1's beautifully.

Thanks

Bill

Cheers for the invite mate.

I will tend to need more power when playing back vinyl, as the input signal will always be lower than the line level from a DAC or similar, with 25w to 30w now It's only just enough for my listening behavior.

Earle's amps catch my eye much more than does the Trafomatic, even more so when looking under the bonnet of each. Not ragging on the Trafomatic, just what I like the look of more :)

That is one beautiful looking amp !

(how much does it retail for BTW?)

Hi Whatmore

Yes indeed a beautiful looking amp and does cost about $4K. Now that is not cheap but take my word for it it it is well and truly worth it. However I get the sneaky suspicion Earls 300B may be just as good and there is an itch forming in my gut to get one of Earls amps to compare. I will just need to get some other stuff I have in the works such as selling my WFS and Burson DAC's out of the way and I may just get one - but nothing definite at this stage. The thing I have found with quality gear is reselling it usually does not engender a massive hit eg I did not loose much on-selling my Leben.

Oh and while of course I highly recommend this amp without reservation be careful about it fitting in your Hi Fi rack. From the published size it should have fit into my rack easily - but it didn't - the height of the 300B's made it higher than the published size and it would not fit. Luckily I was able to fit it into an area I had under my TV that originally housed my centre channel that I do not use any more. However this is something people need to be aware of.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Earle's amps catch my eye much more than does the Trafomatic, even more so when looking under the bonnet of each. Not ragging on the Trafomatic, just what I like the look of more :)

They catch my eye as well - especially the new SET he has at 20W:

http://www.westonacoustics.com/page003.html

From what I can gather one of the most important things with any valve amp is the quality of the output transformers. Traformatic does their own and are considered some of best you can get. Earl winds his own as well so I think they are likely up there also.

Thanks

Bill

At the risk of seeming mercenary I've got one for sale at $2500 if anyone is interested. A fantastic amp and difficult choice between this and my Yamamoto but because I have a fascination for old triodes from the 20's and 30's and can't afford WE 300b's but can, just !, afford old globe 45's I've decided to go with the Yammie. Unfortunately can't afford both amps.

Edited by calypso

Hi All

Have had it in my system for a while now. Pretty much everything it plays sounds good. Just playing some Leanne Rymes right now and her voice is as good as I have ever heard it. Listened to Ella and Louis (Hi Res Version) last night and it sounded scary real. Strangely though the guys I had over last Sunday were not impressed. They recognized it was quality high end stuff but not to their taste. 300B Set's may be an acquired taste - unfortunately I am hooked.

It drives ML3's beautifully. Get this amp or similar and a SS amp such as the Patek and you get the best of both worlds for much less than the cost of some amps I see people getting. I have come to the conclusion with Lenehan speakers getting both a valve and SS amp is the way to go. I know most swear by SS with them and a few valves but having tried both I really can't live with just one. If I was forced to however it would be the Trafomatic I would keep.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Hi All

Strangely though the guys I had over last Sunday were not impressed. They recognized it was quality high end stuff but not to their taste. 300B Set's may be an acquired taste - unfortunately I am hooked.

Thanks

Bill

Match the amp with a speaker @ 95db with a good impedence load and invite them around again .

Cheers