Unity Horns + 18" multi sub GTG

Thanks to Roger for inviting us in setting up and listening to the new subs for the Unity. Also for a nice (hot) curry!

I had been looking forward to this GTG especially since having my econowave horn done. The Unity had left me with lasting impressions the last time we went there. Unfortunately I had to be late and when got there Paul and Rob was already done with major measurement and into the "adjusting' phase.

The system overall:

2x Unity Horns. Real ones from Tom Danley and only two in Australia (!)

2x 18" AE woofers, ported

2x 12" woofers in bandpass configuration

1x 18" Maelstrom, sealed

These are *not* your usual tiny, pretty audiophile speakers! :) I made the comment to Rob that these would have been enough to power an assembly room! Yet here we are in a 4m x 4m room :confused:

Paul was busy with making various phase adjustments, and I think the overall process took 3 hours since I arrived. So, not as easy as there are so many speakers interacting. Modes, and all. While he's doing that I took notes of Unities' dimensions. Hopefully these will be my next "product" ...

So the 18" are up and running ,what only 1 per side ,no more 15" drivers . There a very interesting dspeaker the Unity's when I had a chance to listen there was an unbalance in the system and I think Roger traced it back to 2 of the mids weren't connected . Did he have his new multi channel power amp .

Cheers

Only 18s? Those things would fill a hall!

Unity%252BTD18.jpg

A few more shots and comments here:

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2011/05/unity-horns-acoustic-elegance-td18h.html

Thanks again to Roger for his hospitality, love that green curry!

One thing that did stand out is a very different sound stage. Roger has a room with a very similar size, but oriented the other way, the listening distance is a bit more as a result. My system brings the sound stage forward a great deal, sometimes a little too close as if sitting in the front row. Rogers system is like sitting further back. The sound stage is more distant. Obviously the speakers are a factor, but another issue is the rear surfaces. Roger has a more absorbent couch and treatment on the rear wall you sit against. I have a leather couch, quite reflective and a bare wall which now has nearfield diffusers. If I sit down so the couch is behind my ears, it exaggerates the effect, but it's still there if sitting up.

We had a lot to get through and in fact we were just getting started. Integrating that many bass speakers using the different designs chosen takes time. A single sealed sub with conventional mains is much easier. But we had two vented woofers, two stacked 6th order bandpasses and an aperiodic! Each had at least one complication although having their positions fixed made the process simpler than it might have been.

Thanks Gainphile, Paul and Cyuber Murphy for coming over yesterday. Measurements are really important but they do take time to set up and carry out, especially with so many different speakers! :confused: Your help was appreciated. I really saw the value of measuring the system. I still have a lot more to do and trial to optimise the system but what we learnt yesterday is definitely on track. A couple of points of interest:

- In my room, there is a real need for bass traps under 60Hz to speed up the decay (where I fit them is a different question)

- Phase and delay are aspects that definitely need attention in any room

- Too much EQ can degrade sound quality in an active XO

- The TD18H+ drivers measured incredibly well and could even make a powerful 2 way speaker, with the right waveguide

There wasn't really time to do a comparison of the DCX and miniDSP 2x8 but the functionality of the DCX makes it a worthy unit is most instances

- dial in changes real time without a computer

- measure for delay and phase (with longer delay times available)

- digital gain for individual channels (but I would only suggest using this feature on subs)

The miniDSP does sound better to me. "Richer" is a subjective word but for me it equates to more detail, musical information. I like how it has 4 channels out per side so I can run 4 subs. Also, it is preconfigured for analogue gain controls for each channel, which will be useful.

I have a new multi channel power amp, Elektra Theatron HD, arrriving soon so I will be measuring again soon. However, I know I can, and anyone can, measure accurately with REW and achieve a very good result with my system. At that point I will work towards setting up my "house response" with increased bass from 80Hz down and as flat as practical through the mids and high frequencies as well as tailing down slightly at the top end. Lots of fun! :)

Hi Roger

Has the rounded foam surrounds on the Unity's helped ,I thought you were going a pair of 18" per side:) .

Cheers

Has the rounded foam surrounds on the Unity's helped ,I thought you were going a pair of 18" per side:)

I don't think it makes any difference to be honest. I do like how it hides the stands so that's a bonus! Yes, it will be two 18" per sides - when I build a box for the other Maelstrom :partyOne TD18H+ is perfect for each side - effortless bass :)

I don't think it makes any difference to be honest. I do like how it hides the stands so that's a bonus! Yes, it will be two 18" per sides - when I build a box for the other Maelstrom :partyOne TD18H+ is perfect for each side - effortless bass :)

Hows the frame going ,you worked out the colour .

CHeers

Hi guys,

Yes, another enjoyable gtg for me!! I didn't have much to do myself,, but I kept a keen eye over Paul's shoulder as he was driving REW.. And Boy! there's a lot to know when it comes to making, and interpreting, measurements, thats for sure..

I am a complete novice at system measurements, so to sit back and watch Antripodean, Paul, and Gainphile discussing 'first order modes' and 'phase alignments' etc,, was really impressive!! So much so, that when I got home I bought online a calibrated microphone from the US :).

Roger's sytem is quite a good sounding rig, and I'm sure once he's finished 'tweeking' it and installs his new amp, it will be sounding even better!!

Thanks for an interesting day, and a fantastic lunch, Yum!!

CM