Stereonet's first saint

Enigma and Rawl, that's the end of it I hope. Time to kiss and make up?

AY28588599_440x370.jpg

Keith

'tis a lttle Brokeback for my taste. Maybe more Enigmas speed?

Given that my response to Enigma started with his post:

"How about you Kajak, where are your unbiased reviews?

And i'm not talking ablut a bunch of mates all standing around pissing in each other's pockets hoping to get elcheapo hifi gear from bragging rights & shrill advertising, real reviews."

"What's your claim to fame? "

Kajaks response "PLAY button (claim to fame)"

Fair enough I thought. Translated for those that cannot understand the substance of this answer " Come and have a listen and decide for yourself"

And seriously, if one wants to take a shot at somebody (not me as it happened to be) then I am happy to highlight what I see as the error in their ways. I mean "All shiny, no substance."

Isn't that just a polite way of saying " you are a W....r"

Never mind, it has deflected him from shooting at others.

So wwhere is Enigmas "real review" since that seems to be the benchmark and deciding factor your honour. Which Issue of Stereonet is his review in?

The whole point is that the folks in the DIY world that listen to each others systems and like or dislike what they hear are going to end up mates. None of the Guys I know have pissed in my pockets, but I am still happy to help others out by sharing my knowledge and experience to HELP THEM MAKE BETTER SOUNDING SYSTEMS.

If others feel that I have something that may benefit them then they are entitled to hang around. If I don't have anything to offer them then they won't hang around. That is the circle of life.

If Enigma doesn't feel that is is right for others to hang around in the hope of gaining some knowledge then that is his personal viewpoint. How "bragging rights & shrill advertising" will help them to get elcheapo gear I am not sure. Though I suspect that this line is a shot at somebody else who has posted some positive viewpoints on some particular pieces of equipment elsewheres on this site who has been heavily accused of having a commercial interest in said product. From the response I have seen said method has resulted in him joyfully receiving the product at full retail. Gee that shrill advertising worked well.

And I am sure that Kajak has had a fair share of attempted pissers who want to suck his knowledge dry and I am sure he finds that tiresome as well. There are a lot of folks who are happy to let others do the time and then expect them to share all of their knowledge and findings for nothing.

Again from posts from others Kajak seems to be quite happy to help others out down araound Perth to create better music. I don't know how much pissing they do but if they get better music from Kajaks help then I am sure they are very happy little campers.

As an aside, with regards the sheep, if one finds a system that one very much enjoys the sound of, is it the intelligent thing to hang around and try and gain knowledge from said individual who created that system (ie be a sheep) or is the intelligent thing to carry on swapping and trying umpteen other bits of gear and doing it yourself?

If you don't have sheep hanging around what does that say......

One of the very common mottos of the 'success trainers' is 'hang around with like-minded individuals'. ie be a sheep

Thanks for the visual Keith

Rawl

Edited by rawl99

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still hung up on the so called thing aren't you?

The whole point of listnening to many systems is to experience what a good system is. I don't mind people broadcasting great systems for others to take note, how many of you guys working in the industry are actually telling us the truth?

I've seen the curvature of the earth, you obviously haven't travelled in aeroplane high enough.

Funny, its been my experience the many of the people in the audio industry are the ones that feed out the most bulls#&t. Its like they always have to be better or have something better than the next guy.

You have a nice weekend too Rawl.

I only get hung up by misrepresentation:

I think these two following quotes illustrate my point quite clearly. Both quotes from YOU, not me. I don't want to call it anything.

At leats 56 is utilising the talent of one of Australia's best speaker designers and amplifier designer for his so called DIY projects. Their products have already spoken for themselves and been proven against some mighty "reference" equipment worth $100's of thousands..
So called DIY if that is what you want to call it, i would refer it as 56's own design.

Is it possible for you to answer a question without it being an attack. "I've seen the curvature of the earth, you obviously haven't travelled in (an) aeroplane high enough."

What about " I have seen the curvature of the earth from an aircraft which satisfies me that the earth is in fact spherical"

I could quite happily suggest that the apparent curvature of the earth that you have seen is caused by optical distortion of the image thru the aircraft window. Have you performed a double blind test to prove that there is no optical distortion? Take this with a grain of salt for Petes sake.

Man are you so wrong. I spend my life hoping to hear a better system so that I can learn from anothers' experience and learn some things to take away to improve my own.

Steven Valve showed me what inserting a particular type of 3inch long bit of wire in the power supply primary side of my transport can do. I am extremely indebted to him for the improvement this brought about because my engineering brain would not have thought it possible. If I thought mine was the best then I would dismiss him out of hand because 'I am an engineer and he has no formal qualifications so what could he possibly know that I do not!' As it turns out a bucket load actually.

So my direct question to you is: Do you think I am not telling the truth and do you think I am feeding out bullshit?

If the answer is yes I would like some specific examples for me to refute please to set the record straight.

Because the sad truth is that I agree with you. Many folks in audio land are very egotistical (remember I deal with them every day) and have over-inflated opinions and spruke BS in bucket loads. Very often I do not think it is intentional. They just have not heard anything better. Is it not the same in any line of sales-oriented business? I do NOT work in retail.

If the answer is no then lets kiss and make up (via a proxy preferably along the lines of your posted pictures not Keith's)

Cheers

Rawl

Edited by rawl99

Perhaps we could nominate a new member group called "peace keepers"? Their job would be to recognize when a situation is getting heated and just be their usual selves in asking for calm. It would be good to nominate members that have great charisma, are generally level headed (no one is perfect all the time though), have a sense of fair play and are just generally people that others listen to. Perhaps respected members with a new title would stand out even more as someone to listen to.

I would nominate members like Tony M, Grumpy, Bear72, LuckyDog (although he already has a title) etc.

I'm more of a piss-taker than a peace-keeper :)

Though if we are handing out titles, Baron would be nice....

Keith

Given that my response to Enigma started with his post:

"How about you Kajak, where are your unbiased reviews?

And i'm not talking ablut a bunch of mates all standing around pissing in each other's pockets hoping to get elcheapo hifi gear from bragging rights & shrill advertising, real reviews."

"What's your claim to fame? "

Kajaks response "PLAY button (claim to fame)"

Fair enough I thought. Translated for those that cannot understand the substance of this answer " Come and have a listen and decide for yourself".............................................SNIP

Rawl

Since this thread is off-topic now I just want to add something here. I can say that Kajak has gone out of his way to help me; Despite the fact that he didn't know me from a bar of soap he invited me over to his house, and showed me a bunch of things and was more than happy to demonstrate his system!! He hasn't tried to push me into buying ANYTHING. He is passionate about his system and proud of what he's been able to put together (and so he recomends products that he believes in.....as do many people) but this is not the same as shill posting and advertising. I have said that I can't really afford a Killer DAC at this point in time, and he has been very helpful in looking for an alternative product that fits my budget. He also lent me a DAC that he had so that I could have a listen to it (NOT trying to sell it to me) in my system, lent me a whole bunch of demo CD's and has helped me to research some of the products that I'm looking at. Out of all of this Kajak stands to gain exactly what?? SFA......that's what. On top of all this he encouraged me to bring my speakers over to his house so that we could compare them with his (and FWIW while I was there he was very keen to get my speakers set-up for best possible sound in his room).

The history and agendas that people have here cloud their judgement IMO......

Seriously rawl, give it a rest. There is no need to continue this ***-for-tat. Otherwise:

Lightning_strikes_hill_january_2007.jpg

lightning_striking_tree.jpg

lightning.jpg

Keith

No probs. BTW I like your images. I get a little POd with the emphatic and dogmatic crap that gets handed out here by a number of particular individuals so I thought for a change I would hand some back. I thought I may join in just for a bit of 'when in Rome'.

If you look at my typical posts I attempt to be as diplomatic as possible and help to share information that may of benefit to others.

Being in the Great Debate I thought it was suposed to a bit more open slather. Guess not.

I will ask that you please allow Enigma to respond to my request in post #148 re my direct question so that he can publicly announce his intention. Otherwise I feel you are allowing him to cast doubt upon my credibility and integrity and that I feel is inappropriate. I will also ask that if his response is Yes that you allow me to ask for specific clarification. For your consideration.

I shall leave Enigma alone as per your request.

Rawl

I only get hung up by misrepresentation:

I think these two following quotes illustrate my point quite clearly. Both quotes from YOU, not me. I don't want to call it anything.

Is it possible for you to answer a question without it being an attack. "I've seen the curvature of the earth, you obviously haven't travelled in (an) aeroplane high enough."

What about " I have seen the curvature of the earth from an aircraft which satisfies me that the earth is in fact spherical"

I could quite happily suggest that the apparent curvature of the earth that you have seen is caused by optical distortion of the image thru the aircraft window. Have you performed a double blind test to prove that there is no optical distortion? Take this with a grain of salt for Petes sake.

Man are you so wrong. I spend my life hoping to hear a better system so that I can learn from anothers' experience and learn some things to take away to improve my own.

Steven Valve showed me what inserting a particular type of 3inch long bit of wire in the power supply primary side of my transport can do. I am extremely indebted to him for the improvement this brought about because my engineering brain would not have thought it possible. If I thought mine was the best then I would dismiss him out of hand because 'I am an engineer and he has no formal qualifications so what could he possibly know that I do not!' As it turns out a bucket load actually.

So my direct question to you is: Do you think I am not telling the truth and do you think I feeding out bullshit?

If the answer is yes I would like some specific examples for me to refute please to set the record straight.

Because the sad truth is that I agree with you. Many folks in audio land are very egotistical (remember I deal with them every day) and have over-inflated opinions and spruke BS in bucket loads. Very often I do not think it is intentional. They just have not heard anything better. Is it not the same in any line of sales-oriented business? I do NOT work in retail.

If the answer is no then lets kiss and make up (via a proxy preferably along the lines of your posted pictures not Keith's)

Cheers

Rawl

(Keith, last post from me in this thread)

Rawl,

Despite my rantings i'm not a pr$#k and i'm happy to accept on good faith that the answer is no.

Were are all no different, i have done the same as you, spent alot of my life (and finances) to this hobby and apologise for any il feelings.

You should show us some of your custom work, there would be many here that would love to see it.

And yes, there are many clever individuals here more talented than i with electronics that we all like to take inspiration from.

Finally, so called DIY. The reason why i referred to it as so called was not whether it was questionable if it was a real DIY project, but that there are so many people on this forum that have DIY projects producing amazing results, it is beyond a simple DIY project or calling it as such.

Eg, if i make a TT of my own design, is it DIY or is it something new?

Cheers, enjoy the music, don't stress and keep a look out on the SNA for some wonderful things.

E.

Edited by ENIGMA

The history and agendas that people have here cloud their judgement IMO......

Well you have have only seen one side ,you probably haven't delt with pm's sent to you or others and whats happens out side of the forum by the same people .

Anyway .

sheep_sex_costume.jpg

(Keith, last post from me in this thread)

Rawl,

Despite my rantings i'm not a pr$#k and i'm happy to accept on good faith that the answer is no.

Were are all no different, i have done the same as you, spent alot of my life (and finances) to this hobby and apologise for any il feelings.

You should show us some of your custom work, there would be many here that would love to see it.

And yes, there are many clever individuals here more talented than i with electronics that we all like to take inspiration from.

Finally, so called DIY. The reason why i referred to it as so called was not whether it was questionable if it was a real DIY project, but that there are so many people on this forum that have DIY projects producing amazing results, it is beyond a simple DIY project or calling it as such.

Eg, if i make a TT of my own design, is it DIY or is it something new?

Cheers, enjoy the music, don't stress and keep a look out on the SNA for some wonderful things.

E.

Enigma

Thanks for this post. Your apology is accepted in good faith and returned in kind. I have no malice toward you at all sire. We can agree to be on good terms.

I agree with your view of many talented folks here that we can all learn from. As much as we may know there is much to learn. When we think there is nothing more that others can teach us we hit a brick wall. And that really Hurts!!

re Custom Work: I would rather keep that away from here as it is not a commercial forum. I also, sadly, do not take many photos of the finished product. I only really figured this out a short while back when some customers were looking for some inspiration. Virtually all my shots are of in-construction. I shall have to rectify this situation for future.

DIY to me means that you have built it yourself. If it is based on anothers ideas so be it. As pointed out by the discussion between Oval and myself most ideas have already been done to death. Very tricky to come up with something completely new.

Enjoy

Rawl

• 1 year later...
most on this site do what i do tune their system to the room with no hoky poky mics and computers don't care about modes *your on the wrong forum buddy*we use ears

Without naming names, this beauty was posted on another forum, thought it was worth a mention here for giggles :)

I only just saw this thread and thought it might be a bit of light entertainment, oh how wrong I was...just looks very sad, for the most part.

Oh well *shrugs*