Making up power cables

Above statements from respected technically knowledged members.

Therefore, you must be hearing things richard260 or maybe you are using poorly designed equipment! :)

Thats what i thought i must be hearing things but its a big difference between 2 cables. So i dont know whats going on

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what i thought i must be hearing things but its a big difference between 2 cables. So i dont know whats going on

Gday Richard, if I bought over my diy power cable, you'd hear a different sound again (I'm sure).

It's both weird and enlightening at the same time. [shrugs]

• 1 month later...
Ive also just purchased from Clipsal their transparent IEC female plugs.Nowhere near as fancy as the Oyaid or those other round and coloured plugs from expensive manufacturers,but they are really solid,well built and the brass connections inside are good quality.In fact the plugs are much more solid in the flesh than they appear in the catalogue.The plugs are the Clipsal 465 series.They should work well with my HD cable.

Hi, I'm new here. I just wonder where you can get those Clipsal plugs. Bunnings warehouse does not seem to stock them.

Thanks

It was my understanding that the Oz regulations say that the cables have to be colour coded - blue, brown and green/yellow. These cables may be illegal.

Does it have to be blue, brown and green/yellow or any 3 different colours would do?

Does it have to be blue, brown and green/yellow or any 3 different colours would do?

To follow the standards I think it is: Brown or Red (A), Blue or White (N), GreenYellow or Black (G) ?

But Bunnings didnt have all the colours I needed, only white. So I marked them, illegally it appears, easy enough to fix.

Edited by ozmillsy

Hi,

I found some cable that an electrician gave me for around $6 m - I have compared it to some more expensive cables and it does quite well sonically.

Its called olflex classic 110 (fully shielded). I got the 1.5 mm and 2.5 mm cable, the electrician put clipsal plugs on the ends.

When I compared it to standard cable, the olplex revealed more detail, the soundstage opened up and the bass became punchier. I found the sound became a little brighter in balance too.

Cheers

Steve.

Edited by stephennic

Hi,

I found some cable that an electrician gave me for around $6 m - I have compared it to some more expensive cables and it does quite well sonically.

Its called olflex classic 110 (fully shielded). I got the 1.5 mm and 2.5 mm cable, the electrician put clipsal plugs on the ends.

When I compared it to standard cable, the olplex revealed more detail, the soundstage opened up and the bass became punchier. I found the sound became a little brighter in balance too.

Cheers

Steve.

Where can it be sourced from Steve?Ive not been able to find any of this stuff for a while now.I only came across it by accident at an electrical wholesale shed i visited once ,but its gone now and none of the major electrical suppliers have it listed.Can you ask your sparky where he got it from?

Where can it be sourced from Steve?Ive not been able to find any of this stuff for a while now.I only came across it by accident at an electrical wholesale shed i visited once ,but its gone now and none of the major electrical suppliers have it listed.Can you ask your sparky where he got it from?

Hi,

Farnell in Sydney and DKSH in Melbourne. You probably can order online. I'm not sure where you could buy them in Brisbane.

I found the 1.5 version good for components and the 2.5 for the main system lead. The electician made them up checked them and tagged them as being safe to use. He uses the cable for residential and industrial work that he does as the cable is to Australian standards.

I liked it better that the DH labs cable which is about $100m, but not quite as good as the supra lorad 1.5/2.5 or the furutech G314 ($40m) on my system. Its not as smooth or tonally balanced as those two, but certaintly found it great value and a step up from standard cables.

Cheers

Steve.

Hi,

The Olflex Classic 110CY and SY are the same cable except one cable has colored covers on the inner leads. They have it at DKSH in Melbourne and also in Sydney. They have only the CY version in stock. They are shielded too. You have to nominate how many wires you want too ( mine have three including earth)

The costs are as follows. They emailed me the following information:

1.5mm 2C+E Olflex Classic 110CY 1135303 is $2.80 per metre (ex GST)

2.5mm 2C+E Olflex Classic 110CY 1135403 is $4.30 per metre (ex GST)

A $30 (ex GST) freight charge applies to all orders unless you wish to nominate your own carrier.

Hope that helps.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers

Steve.