TT build

3G_

I am finally getting the parts for my TT after weeks of research.

The following parts are on order, a fully modified Origin live tone arm, Teres bearing, AC synchronous motor from Schneider, and 75mm thick piece of South Ozzie slate.

I have cut the piece of 75mm acrylic for the platter and need to find a machinist to fit the bearing and turn the platter for me(any hints would be apreciated, im in Adelaide)

The TT will be able to hold 2 arms and have the option of rim or belt drive.

Pics to follow as the build continues.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaspert: I plan on having the left hand side of the platter overhanging the plinth by 25 mm. The motor and speed control will be housed together in a seperate box, possibly timber and stainless steel. The motor runs at 450rpm @60hz so a 30mm wheel on the motor should give 45prm. I will be able to move the motor assembly out and reverse the motor for belt and vice versa for rim drim (yes similar to the verus). That is the theory anyhow.

• 1 month later...

Ill add some pics soon.

I have sourced most of the materials. The 75mm acrylic platter has been machined and looks great.

I recieved the slate from the quarry for the plinth and have drilled holes for bearing and tone arm, now i need to learn how to polish slate!!

I have the fully modified Origin live tonearm and Teres bearing as well ready to go.

A prototype of the AC sync speed control is up and running with voltage and frequency adjustment, now it needs to be refined.

I also dont have a phono stage yet so i am looking at verious options on diyaudio.com.

I havent got a cartridge yet, will probably buy a DL103R, under $400 online. Having not used a TT before I will be after some Adelaide help for the setup.

Brilliant fun! Nice work. Try YouTube for the slate polishing. I learned how to fold tshirts the other day. Funny stuff! I never realized YouTube could be usefull. Please keep us updated as you go

Brilliant fun! Nice work. Try YouTube for the slate polishing. I learned how to fold tshirts the other day. Funny stuff! I never realized YouTube could be usefull. Please keep us updated as you go

You need a wife. :P

Ill add some pics soon.

I

I also dont have a phono stage yet so i am looking at verious options on diyaudio.com.

I havent got a cartridge yet, will probably buy a DL103R, under $400 online. Having not used a TT before I will be after some Adelaide help for the setup.

Salas is quite helpful look at the simplistic NJFET RIAA

Here are some pics

The slate is 80mm thick and weighs over 30 kilo. If the rain eases up ill have a go at polishing it.

The fully modified origin live tonearm, and the teres bearing and 75mm acrylic platter which i got a local engineering company to spin up for me.

Ill post some pics soon of the speed control for the AC sync motor.

Edited by 3G_

Guest Muon

Oh, sweet!

Love the hefty platter, will look lovely with that slate :hiccup

Gee, I wish I had the ability to do something like this, keep the pics coming :nana

Spent the evening at my brothers place. He has programmed some chip (dont know the details, way over my head) so we can adjust frequency of two 90 degree offset sine waves as well as voltage. The signal is amplified by two lm3886 amp modules. The toroid and caps in the photo are just for trial, the final ones will be much smaller.

Having a ***** of a time polishing the slate. I think the ebay diamond polishing pads have impurities in them so they leave swirl marks in certain parts which are much coarser than they are supposed to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly getting there. I bought a VTA adjuster from England and modified it to suit the required height.

Now i am waiting for another piece of slate to house the motor and the circuitry to control the AC sync motor.

I am still yet to settle on a design for a phono stage and havent got a cartridge yet (bloody aus dollar)!