bye telstra - hello optus

dont know why never did this earlier ! 

we were on a $125 telstra max bundle allowing grand total of 500GB of down loads free calls etc, plus paying another $79 for my mobile with a glorious 2GB data pack  ! $204 total and excess charges of $10  month typically plus $3 for our unlisted number 

swapped to optus, $50 unlimited mobile 8GB(no contract) and $95 broad band unlimited home bundle and get a $10 discount so both services or $135 total. and with no charge for unlisted number.

swap to mobile optus was seamless and just have to wait for the optus modem to turn up in the mail

• Like 5

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Good deal - just check that Optus mobile works where you need it to. You can find yourself with no signal in some surprising places.

Oh, and for others who are tempted, make sure your phone is not locked to Telstra, first.

Good deal - just check that Optus mobile works where you need it to. You can find yourself with no signal in some surprising places.

Oh, and for others who are tempted, make sure your phone is not locked to Telstra, first.

yes well worth checking the coverage maps. but theyre a much of a much ness can see, and have colleagues on optus working across similar areas so no concerns here. 

but lets see how goes, will report back. in any case the beaut thing with the optus mobile is there is no contract so if want to change anytime can do as well. 

fortunately not a contract with telstra here myself or locked to telstra. switched in minutes :) and if are locked to a carrier can be unlocked pretty much on the spot too :)

there was an article I read that said all these contracts are an aussie thing, thing of the past in the us for instance.

its the way of the future.

no need to be locked in to anything :)

Coverage maps are not much use, beyond telling if the carrier is trying to tell you "don't bother".

Get a $2 starter SIM card, and see for yourself what the network performs like where you need it.

I pay $15 per month for my mobile (on the Optus network), which would cost nearly 3 times as much from Telstra....  it's definitely worth a look around.

Yep... I'm about to bin Telstra after 12 years of having a home phone with them. It's $49 a month and that doesn't include any internet or calls... I pay on top for internet with another provider.

TPG will do unlimited ADSL 2+ including home phone for $59.95 per month on only a 6 month contract... bye bye Telstra.

JSmith ninja.gif

• Like 1

Good deal - just check that Optus mobile works where you need it to. You can find yourself with no signal in some unusual places.

When I was with Optus, I quickly became familiar with two blackspots. Unfortunately, one was my home and the other my workplace (ironic as our office is next door to the Optus HQ!) So I went the other way and switched to Telstra...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hensa

I did the opposite ...went from Optus to Telstra and couldn't be happier.

We were on the premium Optus plan with 500GB download per month - trouble is they could only provide slow speeds of around 1-3 mbps so that it was IMPOSSIBLE to download the monthly data limit, even if the computers were downloading 24/7. We also suffered continually drop outs with the Optus internet connection, which seemed to be related to bandwidth issues at peak times in the evenings when everyone jumps on their iPads, lappys etc. I think it is all a bit of scam by Optus, they promise 500GB/mth, but cannot possibly deliver that in most parts of Australia.

As a point of reference we are on Telstra Cable and our internet speed gets as high as 38mbps and never drops below 20mbps, it is shockiingly fast! We can download 1.5GB content in about 4-8 minutes.

Steve.

• Like 2

I pay $15 per month for my mobile (on the Optus network), which would cost nearly 3 times as much from Telstra.... 

I should add, it would also cost about 3x from Optus ....    (I am with an Optus reseller)

Some people paying enormous prices here.... can only assume on 'unlimited' talk and data plans.     I'm just a pleb using 500 minutes and 1GB data (for comparison)

I did the opposite ...went from Optus to Telstra and couldn't be happier.

We were on the premium Optus plan with 500GB download per month - trouble is they could only provide slow speeds of around 1-3 mbps so that it was IMPOSSIBLE to download the monthly data limit, even if the computers were downloading 24/7. We also suffered continually drop outs with the Optus internet connection, which seemed to be related to bandwidth issues at peak times in the evenings when everyone jumps on their iPads, lappys etc. I think it is all a bit of scam by Optus, they promise 500GB/mth, but cannot possibly deliver that in most parts of Australia.

As a point of reference we are on Telstra Cable and our internet speed gets as high as 38mbps and never drops below 20mbps, it is shockiingly fast! We can download 1.5GB content in about 4-8 minutes.

Steve.

Yeah, but the Telstra cable service is heavily restricted as to download limits...

Often with ADSL 2+ it doesn't matter who you're with... moreso where you are and what the nearest exchange is like.

JSmith ninja.gif

Yeah, but the Telstra cable service is heavily restricted as to download limits...JSmith ninja.gif

Not sure what you mean by this, it doesn't seem restricted to me? We have in some months downloaded up to 350GB of the 500GB/mth total allowance with the Telstra service ...

Not sure what you mean by this, it doesn't seem restricted to me? We have in some months downloaded up to 350GB of the 500GB/mth total allowance with the Telstra service ...

The 500GB cable plan is $90 a month and that doesn't include home phone!

The smaller plans are around $40 - $50 a month for only 50GB.

If I bundled this with my home phone, I'll be paying much more than the $59 TPG offers for home phone and unlimited internet.

For $90 a month I'd be expecting an unlimited connection including home phone...

JSmith ninja.gif

Optus.com.au/coverage is very accurate and is updated very regularly. You can select your device and it gives you the relevant coverage.

I've been on the unlimited cable plan for over a year and I couldn't be happier.

Their mobile plans have a generous data allowance too.

In my experience the days when Optus coverage was a big problem are pretty much over. Sure, Telstra is still a lot better in the bush and on the road less travelled, but for most people, most of the time, they are really good and their plans are way better value.

Not sure about ADSL internet though. I think there are better options than both in that area

Vodafail has failed to improve it's network coverage enough to keep me as a customer - drop outs and going straight to Voice mail in my own suburban home while trying to run a business has exhausted my patience.

Optus for me when contract expires.

• Like 1

Vodafail has failed to improve it's network coverage enough to keep me as a customer - drop outs and going straight to Voice mail in my own suburban home while trying to run a business has exhausted my patience.

Optus for me when contract expires.

You could move to Eden NSW instead !! It's the only town in Australia where it's the only network without black spots !!!

You could move to Eden NSW instead !! It's the only town in Australia where it's the only network without black spots !!!

theres about 6000 backstops according to the government so yeah chances are someone is going to find a black spot sometime no matter whom you are with :)