What's happened to Sony TV's in Australia - nobody is stocking them

My 10 year old Sony projector decided to die on State of Origin night [suspect the power supply]

Anyway, when looking for what new TV's /PJ's that were released at CES 2015 we could expect hitting the shops in the next month or so,I tried looking to see who was stocking Sony.

Trawling the various online stores resulted in this.

JB - No Sony TV's

Bing Lee - No Sony TV's [ironic because they used to run Sony super centres ]

Myers - Basically No Sony TV's -2 low priced models

David Jones- No Sony TV's

Good Guys - No Sony TV's

Hardley Normal - 2 models only

What has happened?

Everyone is waiting for them to arrive form OS.

Not sure but I think Panasonic is also lagging a bit with this years models.

Not sure whats happening in Aussie, but in NZ a new range has been released onto their SONY.CO.NZ website, with a coming soon..Android TV, looks impressive if you believe the hype

Hi Tweaky,

One of my internet monitors picked up this post, I work with Bing Lee, so thought I'd step in and help.  I actually spoke to one of the buyers to get the below information for you.

We are actually expecting the new range of Sony TVs in the next few weeks, we are hoping to get deliveries from next week, pending no delays.  There will be 3 additional series including the super sexy X8500 4K TV’s - sizes from 43 inch to 75 inch’s.

So yes, I'm sorry we don't currently have the best range, but as soon we stock arrives, the range will improve :) 

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

DS

• Like 5

Thanks for that info DShep.

I thought for a moment I wasn't going to have Sony as a option, the lack of Sony stock must mean pretty much all the old stuff has already been sold, which is good for Sony I suppose.....I had a horrible feeling for a moment that stores didn't have any Sony stock on purpose for some other reason that I didn't know about.

I always usually put off buying new TV's / PJ's until late May / June, as that's historically when the prices are slashed on the last remaining previous models [any brand of TV / PJ ], just as the new models are hitting the stores, so it's pretty easy to compare the two side by side to see if paying more for the newer model is actually worth the outlay

Edited by Tweaky

Guest yamaha_man

I purchased a 70" Sony UHD TV just before Christmas, it lasted about 2 weeks before it shat itself.

They fixed it and got it returned and l was to find it was still faulty.

They have agreed to replace it with the new model (75") when they become available, we were first told end of May it's now July.

Long story short, l wouldn't purchase a Sony again even though l still love my 52" X-Series Bravia.

Their handling of my TV's issues and customer support is nothing short of neolithic.

the UHD spec was only set 2 weeks ago

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/82550-ultra-hd-blu-ray-4k-spec-set/

this is a very important spec as new TVs wanting to have the UHD moniker will need to comply...or they won't be able to play UHD material.

am unaware of any TVs announced or released as yet in the last couple of weeks to meet the new spec.

its quite likely that fully compliant UHD TVs won't be announced  till october's Cedia show and probably not to public at CES.

which is all a good thing. will put a stop to these non compliant TVs the makers have been selling all this time, claiming 4K and UHD and wider range etc not to any spec as such just one they have made up.

be patient and hang onto your cash...and buy a fully compliant TV when they are released.

• Like 2

I looked at the new Sony site in the USA, seems that the two top of the range models of Sony TV's comply with the new 4k spec's...hardly surprising really since Bluray is Sony's baby and Sony is the major player in the 4k push.

It's basically Native 4k rather than the botch job that's been released as 4k previously, pretty sure the 2 new Sony PJ's are compliant as well,but spec's on them are harder to find and verify

Ahh, Yamaha man, it's still May where I live, I've been on some benders and lost a day, but I've never been on one big enough for me to lose two months. :hiccup:D

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

unless released in the last two weeks post the spec being set...I wouldn't touch anything. marantz for instance long announced a hardware upgrade for their processor post the spec being set. so for products released previous to the spec...unless they have upgrades to ensure compatibility....I wouldn't touch them.

I am not aware of any projectors meeting the uhd spec.

look for the UltraHD symbol...otherwise they are just talking about the ultra hd resolution rather than full compatibility with the new spec

uhd-blu-ray.jpg

I would also not rely on likes of sony with any promised upgrades to meet spec for older models...they bailed on their top line projector in australia getting even basic 4K hdmi 2.0 upgrade leaving local owners in the cold even though the upgrade was offered in the US ...I wouldn't expect any of their gear quite frankly to have any upgrade facility.

Sony has got so caught up in believing their own hype that their products are so much better than everyone elses, which there not,  and thus you must pay a Sony tax. As a consequence, like most of the rest of their new products, they are failing miserably.

I recently purchased a Sony 70" TV and took it back the next day for a refund. It was abysmal quality.

Such a once proud market leader but sadly today, mostly selling lots of over priced dross.

Sony has got so caught up in believing their own hype that their products are so much better than everyone elses, which there not,  and thus you must pay a Sony tax. As a consequence, like most of the rest of their new products, they are failing miserably.

I recently purchased a Sony 70" TV and took it back the next day for a refund. It was abysmal quality.

Such a once proud market leader but sadly today, mostly selling lots of over priced dross.

theyre still using other peoples panels though aren't they ? so its not like they have some unique panel thats better than anyone elses ?

I'm on the same page with you regarding "Trusting on Sony promises" IE : Don't.

All repair work is subcontracted to authorised Sony service centres, and having dealt with one in Sydney [even with having a friend working there at the time] they were a shocker ...Sony did ring me and asked me what the problems were with this outlet, if they are still running I don't know...they were very dodgy, and my friend left them shortly after my complaint.

Sony does get a bad rap, and on a lot of occasions it's justified, their business model has to be the worse ever [Don't ever get me started on Sony's AUS pricing / Gouging - one of the worse for enforcing a Australia TAX]

But saying that, they do make some good gear, and I suppose, since they are prepared to put in the R&D and actually try and advance technology for the better, you do end up paying for that to some extent.

The other brands sort of suck off Sony's lead.

Guest Sime

You put all the Telly's in a line up, Sonys picture will beat them across the board. Unless you like over saturated color, then no.

I calibrate my video gear with Chromapure, but even so.

You want to see over saturated colours.

Get a Panasonic digital video recorder....... colours like a Nigerians wedding dress

An interesting thread. Having been a victim of Sony's after-sales approach ('service' is simply not a word to use in this context) and suffered from Sony manufacturing faults, I'm now a confirmed Sony hater. To the point where I'll jump on board a conversation such as this, simply to say so.

thank you. Normal service can resume.

• Like 1

You put all the Telly's in a line up, Sonys picture will beat them across the board. Unless you like over saturated color, then no.

You are  entitled to your opinion. Which I do not agree with

Edited by holdencaulfield2007
  • Like 1

Guest yamaha_man

My Mrs who's been dealing with our tv repair/replacement (since Christmas) while I'm away says Sony's phone customer support is worse that Telstra's, now thats saying something!

Hang on...Dealing with Telstra support [none existent - a myth ] and Sony phone customer support [well private school kids need jobs too - thank Tony Abort ] I'm not surprised at your wife's harrowing experience of nothing happening of the replacement of your promised Sony 75" TV ....dealing with those two is a accumulative mass of inaction.

Jokes aside...I think you will get a better deal out of this whole mess in the end......you will be getting a LOT better replacement than the unit you paid for.....sure you had to suffer inconvenience, I've also suffered the same, but in the BIG PICTURE, is it really such a life changing problem...... Cancer does that ......not having problems with TV service.

Guest yamaha_man

Hang on...Dealing with Telstra support [none existent - a myth ] and Sony phone customer support [well private school kids need jobs too - thank Tony Abort ] I'm not surprised at your wife's harrowing experience of nothing happening of the replacement of your promised Sony 75" TV ....dealing with those two is a accumulative mass of inaction.

Jokes aside...I think you will get a better deal out of this whole mess in the end......you will be getting a LOT better replacement than the unit you paid for.....sure you had to suffer inconvenience, I've also suffered the same, but in the BIG PICTURE, is it really such a life changing problem...... Cancer does that ......not having problems with TV service.

It's more the inconvenience with being 3 hours from Melbourne,  pulling it on and off the wall when I'm not home and being of the phone to these turkeys.

This is something l would like to spare the good folk of SNA (with the exception of a few) from experiencing.

If my comments sway someone from purchasing Sony then maybe I've saved them from the same fate as l.

Edited by yamaha_man

It's more the inconvenience with being 3 hours from Melbourne,  pulling it on and off the wall when I'm not home and being of the phone to these turkeys.

This is something l would like to spare the good folk of SNA (with the exception of a few) from experiencing.

If my comments sway someone from purchasing Sony then maybe I've saved them from the same fate as l.

whats the alternative ...LG ...samsung ? are they any better ? am not sure panasonic are yet with the program since the demise of their plasmas and being plasma only for so long...

Guest yamaha_man

whats the alternative ...LG ...samsung ? are they any better ? am not sure panasonic are yet with the program since the demise of their plasmas and being plasma only for so long...

If l had purchased Samsung or LG at least l would have had a replacement nearly 6 months ago.

Walked into JB hifi in Werribee Plaza yesterday trying to find the library and the pub, in the Sony TV stand there were huge banners displaying "Android TV Coming Soon" in the the Sony display area that were absent of any Sony Panels. However some of the Samsung UHD panels attracted my attention, then it was time to find that pub to meet with a group of rednecks that invited me for outing.....so I didn't really questioned it.